Loudspeakers JBL Sideways

Which way do you mount sideways speakers?

• Low end in

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • High end in

Votes: 3 37.5%
  • Same Direction

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • Doesn't matter

Votes: 3 37.5%

• Total voters

fredo

Ok. So I thought I'd get your guys take on this. Just installed a few speakers in a classroom... Sideways. Which way do you go? Low Range Drivers in, High Range in, or the same direction on both sides?

You'll ask why did I go sideways and let's pretend that... hmmm... say there was not enough room to go upright... yeah... that's it.

Anyway, Thoughts?

-Fredo

Many speakers have a 'pattern' with differing horizontal and vertical coverage, you shouldn't mount any speaker sideways unless the resulting pattern works for the application. With multi-way speakers as suggested by the reference to low and high frequency drivers, unless the drivers are in a coaxial arrangement, even conical pattern drivers will result in some variances in the pattern through crossover. You also have to consider nearby surfaces and how those might affect the resulting performance. So there is no way to make a 'right' selection from among the provided choices without knowing the specifics of the situation and my choice would be "it depends, wouldn't do it at all unless the results made sense".

If the only reason for mounting the speakers sideways was that the speakers wouldn't physically fit in their intended orientation then my choice might be "select a different speaker that better fits the application".

If they were mounted sideways because that provided a desired result, then I would tend to go with a mirrored arrangement, but whether it was the high frequency drivers toward the inside or outside comes back to "it depends".

I'm sure we're talking about loudspeakers with "rotatable horns," right? (Though the only one that comes to mind is the Clair R2DP, which is about when I stopped paying attention to speakers.)

If the horn is not rotatable, you'll have very poor horizontal coverage above the crossover frequency.

Most speakers have a midrange "suckout" when you are off axis in the direction of the woofer. Some have a peak when you are off axis in the direction of the horn, but this is usually the better sounding option of the two. Thus, if they have to go sideways, you will usually want the horn on the side where you want the best sound.

Listen and "see".

Rotatable and the same direction
proxy.php

Users who are viewing this thread

Back