JBL SR4722 Power Ratings

AVGuyAndy said:
Right, so by suggesting buying a 600w amp is bad advice.

Your suggestion wouldn't be bad in some circumstances. Ie if only one person ever had control of the amps, speakers and knew what they were doing it could work. So if the amp was never driven fully you might never damage the speakers. The over-rating of amplifiers just mean that in less controled situations eg multiple operators, people who didn't know, etc are less likely to be able to damage the speakers.

Eboy87 said:
I'm taking a long hard look at them, but I already have a DRPA for signal processing.

Also, when they say an amp is rated at x number of watts at 8 ohms, is that 8 ohms per channel? Basically what I'm asking is if I put speakers rated at 8 ohms, one into channel 1 and two into channel 2, into the amp, will I be running at 8 ohms or 4 ohms?

It normally means per channel. There are a couple QSC amps out there that have one power rating on channel one and a different rating on channel two.

In this case with the XTi it is per channel.

Hope that helps.

Just to vouch for behringer amps here, i know a fair-sized sound company that does lots and lots of gigs that has all Behringer amps in one of their rigs. All Europower EP-2500's, if I remember the name correctly, and they worked just fine, and have apparently been in use for quite some time.

tenor_singer said:
"Donny (I HATE that form of my name) just because you have a higher wattage amp driving a lower wattage speaker doesn't mean that you'll damage the speaker... unless you're stupid. You can put a V-10 turbo charged engine in a Honda Civic and be fine. Your issues will happen when you decide to drive with a lead foot. Just like you wouldn't want to attempt to drive that same Civic with a 33-cc weed eater engine on a freeway.".

It doesn't matter what you do - it will still be a Honda Civic :twisted:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back