Jekyll & Hyde Beakers

LPdan

For the lab in Jekyll & Hyde, I'd like to use LEDs & uplight beakers of fluid to allow them to change color. Can anyone recommend an additive for water or some other colorless fluid that would be translucent and might work well at not simply passing the light through, but essentially function like haze?

Have a look for tinting agents for clear casting resins. It looks like a liquid but is solid and much easier to manage for props.

IMG_0320.JPG

These are great ideas. I never even considered going solid instead of liquid. I guess I was planning on the bubbles, but if the director didn't insist on those, this would be much easier. The lights mikefellh suggested even suggest you might be able to put some bubbles into the resin.

You might want to look at the dollhouse/model railroad and jewellery communities for resin tips...they have resin tutorials how to make stuff.

Definitely use resin. Every liquid prop we make with Smoothon Crystal Clear. Great product that sets up quick and can be tinted to any color/opacity. A cool trick is that after your initial pour sets up, you mix up a smaller batch and add some water (experimentation on ratios needed). Whip it into a froth then pour onto your set up first pour. When it cures it creates an awesome realistic foamy head. Great for fake beer. Maybe not so great in your case. But you could mix water into your initial pour, let it start to set up, then lightly stir in some contrasting color. You could get some biazarre cool effects.

Pic is some drinks we made with crystal clear and water mix

Crystal Clear.jpeg

It also goes without saying you should use plastic on stage at all times. No real glass!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back