High School Job suggestions

Hi! I'm a high school student and I'm interested in getting some sort of part-time or temporary position. It doesn't specifically need to be theatre-related, but I would like to get a lighting or A/V gig somewhere. Any suggestions on where to look, or things I should know?

Thanks, Jason

I can only speak from my own experience, but when I was in high school I was able to do minimum wage tech work with my High School AV department(although I started by interning with them for awhile), maybe you will have a local/school department that does something similar? Perhaps start by talking with your high school music/art/theater/av departments and asking them what they need tech wise, but also look for community centers in need of assistance. Even though I didn't make a ton of money this way, the experience/knowledge I gained and friends/mentors I made were very valuable.

I would keep an eye out for coffee house events, open mic/music events, and running tech for the high school band/concerts. These kinds of things, while not theatre specific, are a great way to get exposed, earn a bit of cash, and work with the same tech principles as in theatre.

Let me know if you need any other info/questions answered!

Hi! I'm a high school student and I'm interested in getting some sort of part-time or temporary position. It doesn't specifically need to be theatre-related, but I would like to get a lighting or A/V gig somewhere. Any suggestions on where to look, or things I should know?

Thanks, Jason
If effingham IL isnt too far for you you can apply at the effingham performance center, iv worked there since I was 13 and it's a place people can come in not knowing anything and get educated as much as you want. As long as you show you're eager to learn we are more than happy to teach you everything we know.

Contact your local community theaters. They are typically the best way to get started. If you are lucky you'll find one with some crusty old guy who knows everything. You volunteer to help him and get a free education from him in return. I learned far more by helping out an old T.D. than I ever learned in a class. Eventually you'll work your way up and they'll put you in a paid position or you'll develop the skills to turn it into paid work at a bigger place. Do not underestimate the power of building a good reputation with known people in this industry. The most powerful thing on your resume will ALWAYS be who you have impressed with your hard work. It's a VERY small community and a potential employer may not know you, but if you are good they will know someone who knows you. We hired a new employee a couple of years ago. I looked at her resume and it didn't include references. So I asked her to send me references but in the mean time I said to myself... oh she worked at theaters X, Y, and Z, I'll call my friends who work at those places and ask them about her. I got positive responses from all three people and I was ready to hire her regardless of what her official references said. A day or two later I got an email back from her with the SAME THREE PEOPLE listed as references. That is how small this world is and how important it is that you network and impress people with your skills and dedication to doing the job right. A warning: the same thing works in reverse... be lazy or drive people crazy with your attitude and your career will be over before it starts.

My first non-theatre tech job was with a church and I've bounced between a few but am still mixing at one most sundays.
They are usually very eager for help and although sometimes the audio and or lighting guys can be crusty and grumpy, they certainly don't want to setup the smaller events which would be great opportunities to learn.
Churches are also (usually) very well funded and are an exciting place to see old gear get upgraded and be involved or hear from afar the in-depth conversations about how and why certain gear is being chosen.

That is a very interesting perspective on upgrade timelines. I haven't thought about things in those terms before but it makes a lot of sense. It also explains some of the HUGE disparities in high school theaters compared to other local venues / churches / and sometimes other local high schools. Thanks Bill!

High schools can be tough when multiple high schools in one district. "parity" can be used for some really stupid choices. Imagine that "east" built 10 years ago has no LEDs and no data distribution. Should the need "west" be denied? Some admin will say so. Of course the good answer is lets do some updating at east, but then no money, not even enough for west, which was budgeted 10 years ago just when east was being completed.

Yes, I do try to load up high schools because it's all they'll get for a long time. Even hold plating looses it's shine with no upkeep - just not as fast as bronze.

I see you reside right outside of Austin. I would recommend that you contact I.A.T.S.E Local 205. Check and see what you would need to do to get on their over hire list.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back