Join us for a making-of-history lighting control discussion

STEVETERRY

Friends & Colleagues--

On Tuesday July 28 at 2PM eastern, I will be moderating a discussion with two of the most influential lighting control developers of the past 45 years: Dave Cunningham and Gordon Pearlman. Gordon developed the first computerized lighting control system used on Broadway: the LS8 for "A Chorus Line" in 1975. Dave developed the Multi-Q and Light Palette consoles, as well as the CD-80 dimmer, the ETC Sensor dimmer and the Source 4 luminaire.

This promises to be a fascinating discussion! Please register and join us at:

ST

Well, that was amazing. Thank you so much for organizing that and managing to get those two greats in the same space at the same time, sharing such insights and nuggets.
I don't know if Dave C would be prepared to come back and discuss luminaire development on a future 'show'. There was a question about LightboardM toward the end of the Q&A - wasn't Susan Dandridge the Product Manager at Strand at that time?

Well, that was amazing. Thank you so much for organizing that and managing to get those two greats in the same space at the same time, sharing such insights and nuggets.
I don't know if Dave C would be prepared to come back and discuss luminaire development on a future 'show'. There was a question about LightboardM toward the end of the Q&A - wasn't Susan Dandridge the Product Manager at Strand at that time?

I'm not sure precisely when Susan left off and Anne Valentino stepped in. I will ask Anne.

Here's a YouTube link to a version that has been edited by the magicians in the ETC video production department--it's a lot better presentation:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

ST

Just watched the YT session, it was terrific.

Had I been able to watch live I would have asked Mr. Cunningham for his memory of the history of Light Palette and how the development of the LightBoard at the UK National Theaters, also a Rank Strand product, influenced the LP. Related to that was why LightBoard was never developed further for mass sales, as was LP.

Just watched the YT session, it was terrific.

Had I been able to watch live I would have asked Mr. Cunningham for his memory of the history of Light Palette and how the development of the LightBoard at the UK National Theaters, also a Rank Strand product, influenced the LP. Related to that was why LightBoard was never developed further for mass sales, as was LP.

I can answer that. Lightboard was developed in the UK for Richard Pilbrow at the National. As far as I know, there was no cross-pollenation or influence on Light Palette. I don't think the development teams even spoke to each other. Remember that Light Palette was done during the "rogue" years at Strand LA, with Wally Russell running the operation. I'm not sure that Strand UK even knew there was an R&D operation in LA!

ST

Anne Valentino replies:

"Susan D was in a management position by then. Debbie Garcia was the original LightBoard M product manager and then I took over while it was still in early development."

ST

Users who are viewing this thread

Back