Journeyman Status Voting After Testing.

:cool:

Hello.

My name is Dave and I'm new to this forum and like most all of what I have read here.

I am from the Great Pacific Northwest. I have been in the Audio, Video and Film industries for 35+ years now. I am a member of IATSE.

I'm 58 yrs and operate 2 home businesses that allow me the time and money to enjoy my retirement and take only the gigs I want.

I do have a question. Is 'voting' to award journey status, after passing all testing and demonstration processes a common practice?

My research shows that not all locals in all unions have a vote to award journey status. Ya have to meet all requirements, written, demonstrated and time vested (3yrs min).

I know some locals do vote after the passing of the testing. So it must be a local practice.

I believe that if one has been on the job long enough to suffice the 3 year & 1500hrs requirement, has the skill set and passes all testing, that they don't need a vote to be elevated to journey status.

I was in a local some time ago back east where someone was voted down after meeting all requirements and work hrs because the night of the vote most of the voting members were conveniently not present and the small body of voting representatives did not like this person (all untrue personal and irrelavant issues) voted to not award the journey status to him. And he was crushed!

My local votes and I think its out of line.

The only points that should be considered are;
you have the hrs?
you have passed all testing?
And you currently work in the industry.

Congrats Sir! Now get your sorry new journey ass back to work!!!!!

LOL

Thnx all.

Peace.

-----------
The Theory of Relativity of Sound
E=MC2 +/- 3dB

Welcome to CB!

I've only ever worked with one local, so I can't say much about how different locals work. But where I live, it's just the experience, time, and testing, no vote required. However, having said that, if a large majority of the overall local were to vote No, then that's a sign that there might be something up with that person. In your example, that does seem a little unfair - I would hope that there would be a better way to conduct votes to ensure everyone had a voice.

Welcome Aboard ! from another PNW'er.
I've never heard of that practice either. Does seem very strange and way too political of a process for obtaining Journeyman status. Seems to me if you know your stuff, pass the tests, have the required amount of hours under your belt you should be in like Flinn.
I do know, however, of a couple of places where nobody passes the written test on the first or second try and at $250 a pop it gets expensive getting your license........

Users who are viewing this thread

Back