The above Ad will no longer appear after you Sign Up for Free!

Judged by the company you keep

Discussion in 'General Advice' started by naharnahekim, Apr 13, 2009.

1. naharnahekim

naharnahekim Member

This is a question for some of the more senior members of the board.

How much consideration do you think is given to the local IA that a technician got his card from? In other words, if I got my card from IA Local #34562 and that local had a less than shining reputation, would that reflect badly upon me?

Obviously, if you're coming from a good local that can no doubt be helpful in finding work or transferring elsewhere, but is the opposite true? If all other things were equal (you're skill set, attitude, lack of body odor, etc.) would coming from a crappy local work against you?

I realize answers will be completely subjective, but that's sort of what I'm looking for.

2. erosing

erosing The Royal Renaissance Man

PAC Tech Director
    I would think a lot of that might have to do with the attitudes of the Local/company said person is trying to get into, more so than just a vast generalization of yes or no.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2009
  3. derekleffew

derekleffew Resident Curmudgeon Senior Team Premium Member

Not sure I even agree with your premise. Every local, or any labor pool for that matter, has some very good technicians as well as some not so good ones. Same with college graduates. A diploma from Carnegie-Mellon, Yale, or NCSA is no guarantee of one's suitability for a particular position. It may be that the candidate from East Spider's Breath Community College is the best applicant.
    I would give the same consideration to a member of Local #34562 as I would a member of Local One.
    A more pertinent question may be "Is IA representation the right choice for yourself?"

4. ruinexplorer

ruinexplorer Minion CB Mods Premium Member Fight Leukemia

Projectionist
    I guess it really depends on what your plans are. If you plan on transferring your card to a different local, you may have a longer probationary period. If you are planning on working non-union in an area where the same local has jurisdiction, you may run into more difficulties as there can be more animosity. If you are moving to another area and are planning on working non-union, the local you got your card from may not matter, but the feelings towards union membership may affect your status with potential employers.

I have mixed feelings about union membership. I was a card carrying member for nine years before letting it lapse (I couldn't afford to keep it). Most of the work I took while a union member was non-union since the union couldn't keep me employed even close to full time. My local was fine with that, but not all of them are as friendly to taking non-union jobs. Currently, the non-union employment I have is in my opinion better than what the local could offer. That being said, I know of some people in the local that make better money than I do, but still don't have stability and that doesn't work when you have a family (like I do).