Just a little laugh for these cold months...

Don't use your finger as a voltage tester and judge the voltage by how much it hurts.

No, Never. I get someone else to stick their finger in the light socket then I can judge the voltage by the amount of smoke comming out of their ears.:twisted:

Oh and you can tell whether it's AC or DC by whether or not they are shaking, as the smoke comes out of their ears.

I tape a quarter across the terminals of a 9v and stick it in my pocket. Gives me a warm sensation all over.

I use my tongue as a go/no go tester for 9 Volt Batteries.
This is common practice for the freshman techs at my high school. It's about as close to hazing as we can get. Well, except for that one kid who really enjoyed it. I think he's still in the back-room with a shows worth of 1/2 full batteries....

This is common practice for the freshman techs at my high school. It's about as close to hazing as we can get. Well, except for that one kid who really enjoyed it. I think he's still in the back-room with a shows worth of 1/2 full batteries....
I found a much more entertaining use for half dead 9v batteries. I was bored during a show so we connected a bunch of 9 volts together and made a battery powered stick welder. It was not very efficient, but it worked. The oddest thing about the experience was that we could only daisy chain 9v until we got to 150v once we hit 150v if you connected one more battery we got no voltage, we were miffed by that. So we wired a bunch of 150v daisy chains in parallel and connected a welding electrode and away we went. It also could light a source 4 and you could get an arc to jump between two people!

I tape a quarter across the terminals of a 9v and stick it in my pocket. Gives me a warm sensation all over.

Stick two nine volts together via the locking terminals. It's more fun.

I found a much more entertaining use for half dead 9v batteries. I was bored during a show so we connected a bunch of 9 volts together and made a battery powered stick welder. It was not very efficient, but it worked. The oddest thing about the experience was that we could only daisy chain 9v until we got to 150v once we hit 150v if you connected one more battery we got no voltage, we were miffed by that. So we wired a bunch of 150v daisy chains in parallel and connected a welding electrode and away we went. It also could light a source 4 and you could get an arc to jump between two people!

Er, did you pay attention to that sweet little voice that said:

SM: Standby Lights 5, give me a complete on cue, please.

SM: Lights, GO.

SM: Uh, Lights, can you acknowledge the complete, please?

Sound OP: Alex had a 9V battery accident! Do we have a defibrillator?!

Actually, it was a show that I was not board op for. I was just supposed to sit back stage, change a couple gels at intermission, and then sit around some more. I had lots of free time!

Manual color changes...?! Awesome!

I'd want to go, and get paid, but somehow replace myself with like a color boom, to make my life easier (if these are boom positions backstage).
Haven't seen a remote color boomerang since the CCT Coloursette in the early '80s. Only held four frames, but the advantage was one could subtractively mix them. Since the advent of the GAM ColorMax, and later ColorWiz, scrollers have dominated.

You don't need a defib, you just need the 9v's he daisy chained :lol:

I had a 9volt in my pocket one time for some reason. All of a sudden it lined up perfectly with the keys in my pocket and I had an electric heater in my pocket set on kill. It actually burned a small hole in the pocket before putting itself out in my flesh. Boy did I ever have some amazing dance moves that day.

You don't need a defib, you just need the 9v's he daisy chained :lol:

Speaking of defib, anyone else get CPR/AED & First Aid training? I got it from the American Red Cross. The process was quite painless, a lot of the stuff was totally obvious, but there was also some useful information. I can't remember what the course costs, but I did it in one day, something like 7 hours or so. Definitely some useful training to have.

Now just wondering, don't 9v's attached end to end supposed to have the propensity to blow up? Just wondering.

Also, according to the comic Pickles a couple years ago, every year 9 people die from testing a 9v on their tongue. It's up on my wall.

Now just wondering, don't 9v's attached end to end supposed to have the propensity to blow up? Just wondering.
Also, according to the comic Pickles a couple years ago, every year 9 people die from testing a 9v on their tongue. It's up on my wall.
Indeed, and it is quite spectacular when they blow up as you are trying to weld with them as the power source!

Speaking of defib, anyone else get CPR/AED & First Aid training? I got it from the American Red Cross. The process was quite painless, a lot of the stuff was totally obvious, but there was also some useful information. I can't remember what the course costs, but I did it in one day, something like 7 hours or so. Definitely some useful training to have.
I have, though I need to recertify some: WSI, Lifeguarding, CPR/PR, AED, and Lifeguard Instructor.

I've got CPR and general workplace first aid plus an asthma first aid certificate. That took an hour.

Only an hour?!

I'm not sure about those standards over in Oz.

Seriously though, I did spend awhile with the dummy, not to mention the video scenarios / reading / theory.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back