Just getting started....

alright, so I'm just trying to compile a list of everything I'll need to buy to start work on my "one man performance". the Idea at this moment is just to pull off a timed light show using my laptop set to some music. and being the age I am, the veeeeeeeery little experience I have, I have no idea what is required to pull off such a thing or even what kind of lights I'm looking for. I have the laptop, I just need a list of what I'll need to set up the lighting, what software anyone might recommend that can help with the timing part of it. as far as I know, I need something to connect my laptop to the lights themselves but again I have no idea what I am doing here. help?

First off, tell us a little more about what you are doing. What kind of lights will you have access to and how are they currently controlled?

First off, tell us a little more about what you are doing. What kind of lights will you have access to and how are they currently controlled?
i have literally nothing but my laptop, but I was looking into DMX lighting. and the basic idea is that I set up a light show synced to some music that I myself am performing live. i am just now getting into researching the details to make it happen

the basic idea is that I set up a light show synced to some music that I myself am performing live. i am just now getting into researching the details to make it happen

The best thing for you to do is to visualize what you want your end result to be. Picture yourself on this stage. What are you doing? What type of music/instrument(s) are you playing? What are the lights doing around you? Once you have a vision we can try to help you achieve that.

The best thing for you to do is to visualize what you want your end result to be. Picture yourself on this stage. What are you doing? What type of music/instrument(s) are you playing? What are the lights doing around you? Once you have a vision we can try to help you achieve that.

my end result: i see myself and my cello set up on the stage (and it will be a stage I will be on), the laptop off to the side with whatever else is attached to it. there are lights in front of me, beside me, and behind me possibly. the ones in front are aimed at myself to control the atmosphere around me (dark blue lighting, dark red lighting and such for select parts of my composition),a fog machine off to the side, the other lights I will have just as general atmospheric lights with perhaps 2 laser lights for some of the faster sections of my piece. in general: think "Trans Siberian Orchestra" style light show with the exception of just 1 performer (me). if you've seen one of their light shows thats what I'm aiming for, just on a smaller scale obviously

something like this?
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Last edited by a moderator:
same concept i suppose but i was thinking more along the lines of:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

kinda like that, obviously not as expensive or elaborate, but generally the same concept. lighting I can put on timer to match up with the mood of that part of the song

Last edited by a moderator:
This can be done and done for around a grand up to much more then that. Do you know what kind of rooms you are going to be playing?

First think you are going to want to look at is how to keep yourself synced up to the lights. If you are going to be playing along to a track, that can be pretty easy. If you are going to be playing just by yourself, it is going to be a bit harder. Research "click tracks". Either way, you will want to have one that is just fed to you. It will help you keep in time a bit more exactly. Its basically a conductor/metronome in your ear.

To control the whole thing, there are several software based options. Cheapest would be to get a Enntec DMX Pro dongle and run Chamsys MagicQ. Do a search on CB for both of those, that should get you somewhere.

As far as lights go, I think you are going to want to go LED both due to variability and power requirements. You can pick up decent LED units for your use for around 150-200 dollars on ebay or through sites like bulbamerica. They are going to be cheap Chinese lights but they will work.

Your going to have to do some research on how to program a show to run automatically. You will also do some research how how to link cues to a music track. It can be done, however it is a going to be a fairly large project for someone that has 0 lighting experience. If you really want to do it, your going to have to really read some manuals and read a lot around here.

I have a feeling you want this to be a learning experience which is great. We are not going to spec to you exactly what you need, how you need to do it, etc. We can guide you but we won't do your work for you. Ask plenty of questions, we are here to help.

yes, thank you so much for the help. All I ask is for help being pointed in the right direction, and I can take care of the rest. as for what room I'll be in, I'll be performing in a medium sized auditorium (about the size of a small screening room at a movie theater) the stage is rather small (a guess of about 30ft side to side looking from the pov of the audience, but it is very open as there are already a decent amount of house lights set up I may end up using as well for atmospheric lighting I won't need to control) the performance itself I have decided to set to an accompaniment track I'm making to go along with the song so I'll be playing along with a track

the lights. You will link them all together using 3 or 5 pin XLR cable depending upon which lights you buy.

Also, you really ought to find a lighting guy friend to help you out. Not saying you can't do it with out one, but it will be a whole lot easier with one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back