Just installed a new cue light system

gafftaper

Senior Team
Senior Team
Fight Leukemia
I just installed a new Cue Light system. It cost me $160. I'm really happy with the results and it's such an easy upgrade everyone should do it.

It's simple. Get a Cheap RGB LED par (I went with a Chauvet SlimPAR 38 for $70 there are cheaper options but I didn't want to throw my money away on shady brands) and a cheap little controller. The Chauvet Obey 3 is PERFECT for this project. If you pair the Obey 3 with an RGB fixture it has these great preset color buttons. See the left side of the picture. So in my theater Blue will be the default normal, nothing coming up cue look. When we go to standby it'll turn Yellow. When it's time for the cue to happen it's green for Go. If there is a need to stop or some sort of emergency and someone needs to get on headset we use Red. Otherwise back to Blue for all clear.
Obey3-large.jpg

Throw in a C-Clamp $6, Safety Cable $3, 200' Cat 5 cable $17, and a set of Elation 3pin XLR to RJ45 dmx adapters $17.

I mounted it on my side ladders, in a position where you can either see the light itself or the splash it makes on the wall from anywhere at the rail, or grand, mid, and rear travelers. Spent an hour running the cat 5 cable to the booth and it was done.

A fun little project with great results for cheap!

Great idea! I have thought about something similar for safety lighting, using LED PARs or tapes connected to our normally unused 8 channel board, allowing different areas to be lit as needed, independent of the main rig.

...So in my theater Blue will be the default normal, nothing coming up cue look. When we go to standby it'll turn Yellow. When it's time for the cue to happen it's green for Go. If there is a need to stop or some sort of emergency and someone needs to get on headset we use Red. Otherwise back to Blue for all clear.
And what get executed WHEN, not if, the stage manager presses the <Chase> button?

At that price point for the board just open her up and disconnect the chase button. Problem solved.

Good point. I could disconnect all unwanted buttons.

Hey @Ford what about re-designing an Obey 3 to be a slick little cue light board. Take away everything but red, green, blue, and yellow and black buttons. Lay it out a little easier to not press the wrong button. Put an RJ45 on the back. Selling it with an RJ45 to XLR adapter in the box for the other end of the run. Done!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back