Just one more thing to look out for ..Computer style 3 pin power cord connector failure.

jtweigandt

So our Chauvet hazer was getting flaky on it's dmx responses. Until the failure mode was more consistant we were victims of a subtle problem

The 3 pin computer style power cord receptacle on the hazer had the hot pin slightly loose. The pin was more or less stamped and tacked intto an internal conductive plate on the switch/power cord module. So it was arcing/opening intermittantly.
Every time it would momentarily zap out, the unit would re set, and sometimes the heat indicator would revert back to "not ready" for a while. Unit would not fire in this condition. (This is hindsight didn't nail down until more consistant failure mode)

When I actually found it completely "off" a few times could finally isolate the problem. Jiggle the cord at the entry, and off and on she goes.

I took it home, and led a cord internally and bypassed the connector. But the thought occured to me, with the prevalence of this type of connector on a lot of the current crop of LED lighting
Might be one more thing to consider if you have flakey flashy or momentarily non responsive units.

While the IEC connector is generally a solid performer the problems will be exposed when the constant connecting and disconnecting of the cables happen. every time you push the cable in it creates stress on the connection and therefore it is one less step away from failing. This was a good find for you and although it has caused some frustration, it was caught before any real damage was done.
Thanks for raising this point of failure.
Regards
Geoff

Users who are viewing this thread

Back