Just the theory

The Express allows designated channels to be set to HTP.

One on-the-fly technique I used on the Express was to Inhibit sub the intensity channels, as well as setting certain parameters of motion - pan/tilt speed, speed on gobo rotation, etc... at full on in pre-defined cue playbacks. I would then record these channels to inhibit subs, do a blind dialing up of the rough value, run the cue/effect, then adding intensity and refining speed to the music. It's possible to get fairly quick at it, though running the conventionals on the remaining subs keeps you fairly busy. Emphasis helps here as it allows subs to run subroutines, which makes the subs essentially multiple effect playbacks.

SB

"Maybe he wants to learn how to program movers on the Express specifically."

that is my goal right now, also i plan as far as color wheels i though id put it on one channel and just have a magic sheet telling me at what percentage each color is rather the pull my full head (fyi) of hair out wioth lots of pages of subs.

Darn it! i knew some would say this :)
"kingfisher1, I would take a quick look at the Express manual either online or in print to find out exactly how to link the trackpad to the pan/tilt of a fixture"
yes i know i'm being lazy

Effort pays off eventually, but procrastination pays off now.

amen to that. sorta off topic but does anyone else HATE how much more tedious it is to do stuff in the offline editor because you need to do everything with the mouse. like i know exacly where each key stroke is on teh boardbut its slow on the computer. (althougn i did get better aftering programing my last show in blind at my house with out even knowing if the channels i had controled anything)

No i was hoping for a magic wand that does allteh work for me.
and i also think they need to add a "pretty button" to their boards

kingfisher1 said:
i also think they need to add a "pretty button" to their boards

All consoles already have that its called using every button on the board artisticaly buttton. is under the if you cant do it your self your screwed menu.

JH

jonhirsh said:
All consoles already have that its called using every button on the board artisticaly buttton. is under the if you cant do it your self your screwed menu.

JH
That's a softkey, right? :)

Oh thats where it is! see i was looking at it under the "the stupid music teacher wants me to focus her entire show in 15 minutes, then cue it and then kiss er @#$" menu.

kingfisher1 said:
Oh thats where it is! see i was looking at it under the "the stupid music teacher wants me to focus her entire show in 15 minutes, then cue it and then kiss er @#$" menu.

No NO NO its not under the excusess folder, its burried in the suck it up folder.

JH

ps. sorry for HighJacking this thread but i could not resist. Dam me...

the excuses folder! but thats such a pain to get to, worse then useing a mouse with the off-line editor. I'll write it as a macro though.

kingfisher1 said:
the excuses folder! but thats such a pain to get to, worse then useing a mouse with the off-line editor. I'll write it as a macro though.

Write on a macro i thought those were coconut cookies. but hey if you want to write on a cookie and shove it in your console thats your choice but when your desk breaks dont come crying to me.

JH

ps. dont anyone dare try and tell me what a macro really is :) lol .

jonhirsh said:
Write on a macro i thought those were coconut cookies. but hey if you want to write on a cookie and shove it in your console thats your choice but when your desk breaks dont come crying to me.

JH

ps. dont anyone dare try and tell me what a macro really is :) lol .

Well actually a macro in the lighting world is...

But back on topic, hows it goin? Read any of the manual yet? ;)

no i haven't, and i think i'll wait to see if i actually get the scanners, then try some trial and error, and i'll post back see what works.

do i shove the cookie into the floppy drive or do i have to open up the board for that?

Um no you have to format the cookie first, then you remove the crumbs then you are able to put it into the floppy but you must hold down the opps key for 5 seconds as you do so.

opps thats grand MA speak well it should work if not what can you do.

JH

I've heard abotu this alledged oops button which really makes salivate that little bit more over the MA

At least you ETC guys don't have to tolerate mixing the Strand 300 and 520i. Then you get to try to copy fixture libraries in DOS and it will sit and refuse to copy because it's a bass ackwards version of DOS. On top of that, you haven't used your DOS skills in months and need to get the file transfered before mid night. Fun times prom set up was...

Ok... say you do end up running a bunch of moving lights on a board not really designed for it. Here are some things to consider when programming. 1) Some attributes of the fixture are not meant to be a long crossfade. (i.e. You are cross fading from one cue with the Gobo wheel static, to the wheel continously rotating. You would need to have the gobo wheel control channel change to 'rotate' and use the indexing channel to the desired speed of the rotation. What would happen if this was a CROSSFADE using subs, you will see the gobo rotate a bit (becuse you're changing the index value) then it will suddenly kick into continuous rotation at the actual desired speed (becuase you're cross fading the control channel, it's not in 'rotate' mode untill the corssfade is complete). So basically, don't try cross fading control channels unless it's a 0 count, or you'll get un-desired effects. 2)Having different attributes of the light going at different rates is a pain unless you've mastered making "part" cues. 3) It's a pain writing cues with both moving lights and conventionals unless it's in "tracking mode". This is due to having several cues just for the moving lights and when you make a change in the conventional light, you need to go back and make sure the new values track through.

Good Luck

FxDrew said:
3) It's a pain writing cues with both moving lights and conventionals unless it's in "tracking mode". This is due to having several cues just for the moving lights and when you make a change in the conventional light, you need to go back and make sure the new values track through.

Good Luck

And here in enters the C/D faders perhaps?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back