Just the theory

kingfisher1 said:
And here in enters the C/D faders perhaps?

Well the problem with that is if you're NOT using tracking mode, the cue playing on the C/D fader still captures ALL values, not just the values for the Automated lights. So you would still have to go back and update all of those cues that are ran on the C/D fader.

I still don't quite fully understand C/D, where do the cues come from? I haven't played with it enough to get how it effects the stack. If I'm guessing right, you have to create say a list of cues starting at a higher number for them, then you would select the first cue for C/D then GO with it, but after you get A/B started? Then hitting GO on either playback will advance that stack without affecting the other? So if A/B @ Q100 and C/D @ Q300, you hit A/B GO and the stack advances to A/B @ Q101 (if that is the next cue) and C/D @ Q300 still? That would make sense.

Back on topic, if not tracking is going to be that big of a pain, I would just go ahead and use tracking.

Thats pretty much how it goes, If you say go to cue 100 and hit go on stack A/B then hit go to cue 300 and hit g on cue stack CD they will run independently of eachother.

BUt which ever is the Highest values will take over the dimmers and fixtures.
So its not really a soulution.

JH

Radman said:
I still don't quite fully understand C/D, where do the cues come from? I haven't played with it enough to get how it effects the stack. If I'm guessing right, you have to create say a list of cues starting at a higher number for them, then you would select the first cue for C/D then GO with it, but after you get A/B started? Then hitting GO on either playback will advance that stack without affecting the other? So if A/B @ Q100 and C/D @ Q300, you hit A/B GO and the stack advances to A/B @ Q101 (if that is the next cue) and C/D @ Q300 still?

In the ETC world... that is NOT how it works. During a show, you could use the C/D fader at anytime. What it will do is take the next cue on deck and play it. It is NOT HTP, it changes ALL the values to what that cue is (This EXCLUDES Effect Type cues and if you are running cues at the same time). For instance, I have cues programmed 1 through ten. I play the first 3 cues on the A/B fader. I then hit GO on the C/D fader for cue 4 and all of the data from cue 4 will be played. You could hit go on either the A/B fader or the C/D fader and then cue 5 would play on it. In your example, you had a 100 series set of cues and a 300 series of cues. If you hit go on the A/B for 100 then GOTO CUE 300 and then hit GO on the C/D fader... then your next cue on standby would be 301!!! So if you hit either the A/B or C/D fader, the next cue WILL BE 301. There is only ONE cue stack in the Expression/Express line of consoles.

That's the slight detail I knew I was overlooking, that going always means going with the cue in standby. Kinda makes it almost pointless to have the C/D faders then, doesn't it? What reason would anyone ever have for using them? Just curious...

The main reason I use the C/D fader is for EFFECT cues. An effect cue will ONLY changes the values of what channels are in the effect. So you would have your scene lighting running on the A/B fader, then say you want a lighting effect cue, you would run that on the C/D fader. With the effect cue running on the C/D, you CAN STILL CHANGE THE SCENE LIGHTING ON THE A/B FADER.

I have my Scene Lighitng on the A/B Fader, I then run a Lighting Effect cue on the C/D Fader. I then want the scene lighting to go to dark becuase the lighting hit a "power line". I would hit GO on the A/B fader to go to a B/O, but the lightning can still be running. When the lighitng is over, I hit CLEAR on the C/D fader.

I hope I made that clear

That makes sense, and was very helpful too, as nobody I know has been able to figure out a good way to do those type of effects. Well now I know! Thanks!

so would you say the best way to run ml effects on the board would to have cues 900-920 as preprogramed effects which can then be layed on top of my scene?

Sounds more like have the cue numbers be in the right place in the stack, so you don't have to keep selecting cues to put in standby.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back