Key Lighting with LED

marknb

I am looking for LED fixtures which will provide good spot lighting for singers on stage. Our stage is relatively shallow in depth, only 12 feet and wall washed with RGB LEDs. Need a fixture which will provide good lighting for those on stage, but not wash out the wall coloring. The throw distance from fixture to stage floor is only 25 feet and at a steep angle (approx 60 to 65 degrees). The 10 degree LED pars I've tried throw off too much light contamination and reduces the effects on the wall. Need something with a much crisper edge. Due to the difficulty in reaching the fixtures for maintenance and bulb replacement , I prefer LEDs. And of course (as always) I can't break the bank.

Thanks for your help.
Mark

hate to break it to you, but for a focusable LED special, you're going to need to be plunking down about 2500 a fixture...

Try controlling the spill with some black wrap perhaps?

Have you tried top hats or barn doors to cut down on the spill?

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Have you tried top hats or barn doors to cut down on the spill?

Not tried either yet. Have heard these cast multiple shadows due to the increased number of bulbs. Any truth to this? Is there a single source LED which would be bright enough to serve this purpose and at this distance? Or is this the fixture which would cost $$$?

Not tried either yet. Have heard these cast multiple shadows due to the increased number of bulbs. Any truth to this? Is there a single source LED which would be bright enough to serve this purpose and at this distance? Or is this the fixture which would cost $$$?

Any LED leko/Profile replacement is costing people between 2500 and 3000 right now. Any chance you could use something like a pair of MAC 700s (or like 6 Sharpys) on a 10' or 15' stick of 12" box truss on a couple chain motors? The only reason I jump to movers at this point is that you will want/need to access any non moving special fairly regularly anyhow, to re-focus it. A couple movers on a truss and you wont, along with having an easy way to come down and re lamp. However, this is expensive. More likely the best solution for you? Source 4 750W 19º with some R3208 on there.

Any LED leko/Profile replacement is costing people between 2500 and 3000 right now. Any chance you could use something like a pair of MAC 700s (or like 6 Sharpys) on a 10' or 15' stick of 12" box truss on a couple chain motors? The only reason I jump to movers at this point is that you will want/need to access any non moving special fairly regularly anyhow, to re-focus it. A couple movers on a truss and you wont, along with having an easy way to come down and re lamp. However, this is expensive. More likely the best solution for you? Source 4 750W 19º with some R3208 on there.

This setup will be used in a worship enviroment and the front lighting will rarely need to be changed. The moving fixtures blow the budget. I seriously considered Source 4 w/575W, but was afraid the distance was too short and the angle too much to provide good effect. Plus, I'm back to dealing with difficult to reach equipment and lamps which last only 600-800 hours. But thank you for the input!

Have heard these cast multiple shadows due to the increased number of bulbs. Any truth to this? Is there a single source LED which would be bright enough to serve this purpose and at this distance? Or is this the fixture which would cost $$$?

I wouldn't be too worried about the "multiple shadow" problem. With the elements an inch apart, and a throw over 10 feet, it would be very hard to discern them. For facial lighting I would consider going RGBA so you can get away from the "dead face" look a lot of the RGB fixtures have on flesh-tones. Masking is the only system for beam control short of going into the aforementioned $2500+ price region. That and forward focusing as much as possible.

I wouldn't be too worried about the "multiple shadow" problem. With the elements an inch apart, and a throw over 10 feet, it would be very hard to discern them. For facial lighting I would consider going RGBA so you can get away from the "dead face" look a lot of the RGB fixtures have on flesh-tones. Masking is the only system for beam control short of going into the aforementioned $2500+ price region. That and forward focusing as much as possible.

Sorry I'm a newbie, would you explain forward focusing? Also I was considering CWWW fixtures; would these be better suited than RGBA or RGBAW?

This setup will be used in a worship enviroment and the front lighting will rarely need to be changed. The moving fixtures blow the budget. I seriously considered Source 4 w/575W, but was afraid the distance was too short and the angle too much to provide good effect. Plus, I'm back to dealing with difficult to reach equipment and lamps which last only 600-800 hours. But thank you for the input!

It is possible to get 2000 hr 575w HPL lamps. I use long-life 750w HPLs (1500 hour rating) at a church that runs 4 services per weekend, and we can go about a year without replacing them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back