Keynote on a PC?

...As an avid mac and win7 user, open the file with google docs. It does a decent to good job of converting the file.

Unfortunately a "decent job" is never what my people want. they want the EXACT look they have on their MAC. Unfortunately there is no way to get that.

So, being as that I am not a Mac guy, is Keynote a standard issue with any Mac, or do you need something additional? Is there a viewer on the Mac that does not require buying a suite of some sort? I'd rather not invest in something just as a safety net, but if I must then I'd rather not have to spend too much.

The girlfriend has a Mac and if I remember I think keynote is something that is standard. Pretty sure they all ship with it. Hers did at least

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Keynote is part of the iWork suite which definitely does not come with Macs. When one is ordering a Mac online there is the option to pay to have it included or one can purchase it separately but it is not something that is bundled with every Mac. On the Mac app store the whole iWork suite costs $60 and Keynote alone costs $20.

ruinexplorer, a Mac Mini starts at $599 and figure an additional $100-200 for a keyboard, mouse, and other display adapters. It has HDMI and Thunderbolt/Mini Displayport built it. Not sure what you would need to hook in with your existing setup, but that's your cheapest Mac computer.

I wish this were so simple. There's an entire magazine for people who do presentations, I just wish presenters would read it. Problem is, most people doing a presentation are not regular presenters. They fly across the country because their boss told them to, and they might bring their own computer, but often don't even own an adapter. Also, I have worked with many presenters who have someone else build their presentation because they don't even know how. Or they provide a computer which their IT department put "security" features on it, which makes it virtually useless for a presentation machine, so you have to use the one that you brought along.

There's just no simple solution to doing presentations because it isn't the regular thing for most presenters. Have I ever said that large corporations should have a quality presentation AV person as part of their staff? That way the presenters go off to their meetings prepared.
I think this is something where we all have to get the word out that the concept of being able to walk into any venue and display anything is not a practical reality. It is interesting that the same people that created and promote HDMI, ThunderBolt, DisplayPort, EDID, HDCP, etc. that make delaing with media in professional applications so difficult are marketing those aspects to consumers as making it so simple. People see a commercial where the audio and video from a tablet, laptop, smartphone, etc. seems to magically appear on their TV and they think that means anyone can do that anywhere. People confuse wirelessly transferring media files or wirelessly controlling a media server with wirelessly streaming the media. And the manufacturers don't discourage these impressions because they help sell products.

At the same time, device manufacturers keep developing and promoting the latest and greatest in order to drive product sales. Your current media output may work fine, but its not ready for 4k, deep color with hyperspatial 3-D and 32.7 sound, so you need a new device with this new connection in order to be 'state of the art' and ready for the future. The fact that you are displaying simple PowerPoint slides that would be fine with 1024x768 and no audio is irrelevant, you need this. Of course by the time the future arrives where that may even be relevant for most people, the manufacturers will be on to the next great thing and what you have will already be obsolete, but that just creates another product sale opportunity.

All that is business but it unfortunately seems to leave those dealing with public presentation systems greatly on our own to inform both presenters and facility management of the realities of using products and technologies developed for the home in larger audience presentation applications.

Brad, so true. After all, it is easier to distinguish yourself as a company with a different technology that appears better than trying to convince someone that you are better at doing something with the same technology everyone else uses. Why bother with putting in some standard connection if you can say, "our new technology is superior"? I guess they figure that it's the consumers problem in dealing with how to actually use that technology.

AFAIK, the only thing questionable about a hackintosh is running the OS on non-Apple hardware. That's a violation of the EULA, but not the law.
Just don't sell them...

There was a company building the hardware and shipping you the OS X install disc along with the hardware (the name escapes me) a year or so ago and Apple took them down. I believe the court ruling was that it was a violation of the EULA and a violation of the law. I'm sure Apple did some fancy talking.

Unfortunately a "decent job" is never what my people want. they want the EXACT look they have on their MAC. Unfortunately there is no way to get that.

Unless you have a mac with Keynote and office (all versions) and a windows computer with all versions of office you will never be able to have EXACTLY what the client created. .ppt and .pptx (don't forget all the little add-ons you can have) created a mess with compatibility. As it has been stated above, no one should expect to just bring a file and expect it will open. What one person/company uses as a standard doesn't mean the next company they visit will use the same program. I understand what you want to do, however, just tell the people using Keynote to save as .pptx.

Also, Keynote opens .ppt, .pptx, and whatever the keynote file is.

There was a company building the hardware and shipping you the OS X install disc along with the hardware (the name escapes me) a year or so ago and Apple took them down.
The company was Pystar and they were installing OSX from an image, then packaging the disc along with the PC. In the end, it was copying the discs that brought them down. The portion of Apple's EULA that applies to installing only on Apple hardware has never been tested in court. A similar breach of an Apple EULA is jailbreaking the iPhone, which a federal court has upheld as fair use.
I'm not trying to be argumentative, but an End User License Agreement is a contract (hence the word agreement). Breaching a contract is not against the law. The smallest possibility exists that Apple could sue the end user, but I don't see that happening.

The company was Pystar and they were installing OSX from an image, then packaging the disc along with the PC. In the end, it was copying the discs that brought them down. The portion of Apple's EULA that applies to installing only on Apple hardware has never been tested in court. A similar breach of an Apple EULA is jailbreaking the iPhone, which a federal court has upheld as fair use.
I'm not trying to be argumentative, but an End User License Agreement is a contract (hence the word agreement). Breaching a contract is not against the law. The smallest possibility exists that Apple could sue the end user, but I don't see that happening.

* a few days later*

"Tonight at ten, Apple sues jimmy for jail breaking his phone. Details to come in this heartbreaking story, of a company and their overly protected device"

* a few days later*

"Tonight at ten, Apple sues jimmy for jail breaking his phone. Details to come in this heartbreaking story, of a company and their overly protected device"

Although jailbreaking has been affirmed as fully legal - even if it does void your warranty.

Unless you have a mac with Keynote and office (all versions) and a windows computer with all versions of office you will never be able to have EXACTLY what the client created. .ppt and .pptx (don't forget all the little add-ons you can have) created a mess with compatibility. As it has been stated above, no one should expect to just bring a file and expect it will open. What one person/company uses as a standard doesn't mean the next company they visit will use the same program. I understand what you want to do, however, just tell the people using Keynote to save as .pptx.

Also, Keynote opens .ppt, .pptx, and whatever the keynote file is.

Therein lies the problem. People shouldn't expect that what they create will play on someone else's machine, but they do. Often times they don't bother to check what they can use (well, good clients do, but they aren't the issue).

With Keynote being able to open .ppt and .pptx files, this is where I thought that at this point there would be an add on to PowerPoint to play .key or .knt (I think that's the new one) files.

Well, so far I haven't run into this issue, as I don't tech a lot of presentations anymore (outside the company at least). Thanks for the discussion, all.

Although jailbreaking has been affirmed as fully legal - even if it does void your warranty.
Sorry for getting off topic, but that ruling has been so misinterpreted and misrepresented. Jailbreaking was never made 'legal', it was just exempted from being a copyright infringement in two specific situations. It was a Librarian of Congress ruling to the US Copyright Office regarding DMCA that created exemptions related to circumventing access controls in specific situations, one of which related to operation of phones on other networks and another to enabling interoperability of legal third-party software on smartphones. The reason that mattered so much, and was thus often presented as perhaps being something more than it is, was that Apple and others had been using copyright infringement as a basis to prohibit jailbreaking and using copyright infringement suits to pursue people for jailbreaking. Manufacturers could still essentially do whatever they want to prevent circumventing any access controls, such circumvention was simply no longer a potential copyright infringement for the two conditions defined. Also that exemption is not permanent and although the same exemptions are likely to also be included, and perhaps expanded to include tablets and/or video games, in the next ruling, there is the potential that they could expire soon.

Therein lies the problem. People shouldn't expect that what they create will play on someone else's machine, but they do. Often times they don't bother to check what they can use (well, good clients do, but they aren't the issue).

With Keynote being able to open .ppt and .pptx files, this is where I thought that at this point there would be an add on to PowerPoint to play .key or .knt (I think that's the new one) files.
I think that PowerPoint may be like AutoCAD, so dominant and/or such a 'standard' in their market that they don't see a need to be compatible with other's files while their files are so prevalent that many others need to be compatible with them.

Last edited:

I wouldn't expect that to happen with the closed-atmosphere of Apple. I don't know how all the licensing works, but many products work with PowerPoint and the rest of the Office documents. Microsoft has a free addon for QuickTime on Mac to play Windows Media files but it doesn't work the other way, Windows users have to get the full version of QuickTime. I just wouldn't expect anything like that from Apple.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back