Keys in high school

In my non-theater job, while I have some keys, the booth (for a theme park haunted house) is one that no one but my manager and director has. I'm in there every day, with a radio to the rest of the park, and 24/7 cameras everywhere. We still can't get in. Too much liability, especially if the keys go missing.

It's a pain. I know. I have the same "issue" at school as well. Oh well.

I am currently in 11th grade. For the past at least 10 years, the Tech Crew had keys to the booth. This was totally unofficial. We didn't store the board in the booth, just other equipment. Many other people other than tech crew had keys. Many would go in to use the sketchy couch with others.... Our advisor even told us once that he knew we had keys and he was fine with that and we should let him know if we knew people outside of tech crew had keys. Later that year (this was January of last year), we had a lovely meeting with our Vice Principal. Basically he wanted us to hand in our keys. He explained to us about liability and accountability with us having keys. Most of us kept our keys for the rest of the year. At the end of the year, our school started total renovations. Our auditorium is currently gone and will have new locks and new equipment, and a new beautiful auditorium in September. Hopefully we will get keys, but it is a major issue for school to trust kids by giving them keys.

You have to see this from the administration's point of view. If things go wrong and you get hurt, the school is to blame. A few years ago, we had a girl fall through the drop in ceiling in the booth trying to get into the ceiling to change the house light bulbs. Luckily our advisor was there, but if no teacher was there, that could have been a major issue. Good luck getting keys. I know next year I will be trying to get key to our booth, but it is all about how much the administration trust you. Good luck

Many would go in to use the sketchy couch with others....

This right here is why I would never give a student a key to any part of the building. Every school theater I have worked in had a couch that I was informed by the students that I should not sit on it because ..........
Generally my first order of business is to store any couches or mattresses in a manner that does not allow them to be used. The last thing I need is to be liable for students behaving inappropriately. I have received large push back from the upperclassmen at both schools, but in the end, they generally understand why I don't trust them and their peers.

That point aside, a student should never be unsupervised on school property, much less in a theater with all the inherent risks involved in the work we do.

I've got a student right now that's put me into the similar situation. Do I trust him? Tremendously. Is he knowledgeable about every piece of equipment in all three theaters? Absolutely. Will I ever give him a key? Absolutely not. Maybe after he graduates and the school hires him, but definitely not before then. It comes down to everything mentioned above. Liability. If something goes missing, the admin isn't coming after him, they'll be after me first. We have mag locks on all exterior doors. The theaters themselves stay unlocked as they are used for hundreds of different reasons by different groups. If they want performance lights and sound though, one of our two techs has to be there. All of our consoles are password locked and nobody gets the password (which changes once a month) until they have had training on the equipment. Not even the choir, band, and drama directors. Our equipment storage room not only has a lock on it, but has an inventory control system and everything, even mic cables have to be checked out saying where they're going, who has them, and when they will be returned. If something isn't scanned back in by the due date, I get an alert sent to my phone. I love the system. I can also store manuals and service records on it for each piece of equipment. As far as student access to the space, Every student has my email. If they want to be in the space to do something they can let me know. If it is a legitimate reason, I'll be there to let them in. But again, I'm the one that gets in trouble if something goes wrong. Having keys is a great power trip. But everybody, especially boys, will find an opportunity to impress someone with the, "hey, i've got a key to that building" line. I've done it.

I run a High School PAC. I've got 9 adult techs on my staff and we share 4 sets of keys. Yes, there are 40 year old adults who don't have their own key to the booth. Nothing against them, you just have to limit the number of keys out there because they can be lost or stolen. It's just how districts operate.

I run a High School PAC. I've got 9 adult techs on my staff and we share 4 sets of keys. Yes, there are 40 year old adults who don't have their own key to the booth. Nothing against them, you just have to limit the number of keys out there because they can be lost or stolen. It's just how districts operate.

How do you manage that? The most senior people get keys? The first four guys in the building get keys today?

I keep one set for myself. I have two light and sound guys who rotate through a church rental every sunday. The two sound guys have keys. The fourth set rotates depending on who is working the event. Other than that it's just a matter of who is most convenient to come pick up or trade off that extra set of keys.

Although in high school it may be a big deal to be the one carrying the set of keys, when you are over 30 and this is your job, you really don't care just as long as someone is there with the keys to let you in so you can do your work.

when you are over 30 and this is your job, you really don't care just as long as someone is there with the keys to let you in so you can do your work.

And sometimes your happy you don't have the keys, so your not traipsing all over the building unlocking doors for people.

There are phases people may find themselves going through when it comes to keys. The first is yearning for the day when you have keys. Then comes frustration when you're not ready for them (so they say). Then you get THE KEYS and your life IS CHANGED. For about a minute and a half. Then they tell you how much it costs if they have to rekey all the doors because you lost your copy. Shortly after getting the keys in your possession comes the subconscious phase of wanting to let everyone know, you have THE KEYS. This period may introduce itself in any number of ways, but it usually involves something like wearing the keys on a carabiner hooked to your belt loop. As you walk through the theater and the backstage hallways, your keys CLANG and JINGLE together -- alerting everyone you've entered into their proximity and that you must be IMPORTANT because, AFTER ALL, you have THE KEYS.

After a few months or year, you grow out of this phase and no longer insist on your keys being so readily accessible as to dangle from your belt loops. In fact, resentment begins to build. THE KEYS bring you pain and confusion. Somebody doesn't close a door fully until it latches and something goes missing. YOU THERE -- with THE KEYS -- Why didn't YOU lock THE DOOR with THE KEYS -- YOUR KEYS?! (After all, it's your fault for not checking all thirty-three doors had been locked and latched shut the night before when it was 2AM and after a 19-hour day just wanted to collapse into the cushy wonder and amazement that is your bed. Or even your couch. OK, at this point, you'd have settled for as much as a carpeted floor to take a nap on before you had to be up again in 5 hours.).

Let us not forget the unending irritation of when other people know YOU have THE KEYS, and other people miss no opportunity to ask YOU to open THE DOORS. Enough time and irritation passes until one day you reconcile your sense of duty and dilligence with your apathy toward THE KEYS, and suddenly you find yourself just whoring out your keys to anyone who will take them so you don't have to go open the doors for other people every fifteen minutes (and it's almost never just one door they want opened, and the second door they want opened is always on the other side of the building.).

We also mustn't forget about THE ALARM. Now that you have THE KEYS, you also may have THE CODE that arms and disarms the building's security system. THE CODE seems like a blessing at first. Then one night you try to leave and you can't because THE CODE doesn't work. Somewhere, a cryptically labeled door you now know as "SW DR A15R" is either open or has a faulty sensor and you cannot leave until you find your mysterious "SW DR A15R" and show it who's boss. Naturally, you begin by going to the southwest corner of the building and find nothing. Out of screaming desperation, you begin pushing doors open and closing them again. You walk back across the building to control panel for THE ALARM, and find THE CODE still refuses to work. You begin walking around the building and opening and closing all the doors until stupid luck leads you to the offending faulty sensor and closing the door a second time resolves the error code.

GLEE! With THE CODE entered into THE ALARM, you can shut off the lights and be on your merry way! Happy day! Except that by now, it's 3:30AM and you've just about had it. Also, your car is out of gas. When you closed down the theater, you hopped in your car and drove around to the end of the building where THE ALARM resides and left your car running because you were only going to step in for a minute to sign out and arm the system. When you began searching for "SW DR A15R", you knew your car was running but figured it would only take you 10min tops to get that problem solved. In your exhausted stupor, 10min turned into an hour and your car was already low on gas because you haven't had a waking moment in the last week to so much as swing by a gas station. Moments before you're about to collapse to the ground beside your stalled car, you begin laughingly maniacally. In that kind of way you laugh only when you imagine how much fun everyone's going to have at your expense when they find out why your car is stalled in front of the main offices and that you slept in the theater last night under the desk for the lighting console.

Soon thereafter in a fit of rage and unabated willfull negligence, you toss THE KEYS into THE RIVER and begin chanting over and over "I DON'T HAVE THE KEYS FOR THAT SORRY" while giggling until your friend slaps you and you flip back into reality. The end.

There are phases people may find themselves going through when it comes to keys. The first is yearning for the day when you have keys. Then comes frustration when you're not ready for them (so they say). Then you get THE KEYS and your life IS CHANGED. For about a minute and a half. Then they tell you how much it costs if they have to rekey all the doors because you lost your copy. Shortly after getting the keys in your possession comes the subconscious phase of wanting to let everyone know, you have THE KEYS. This period may introduce itself in any number of ways, but it usually involves something like wearing the keys on a carabiner hooked to your belt loop. As you walk through the theater and the backstage hallways, your keys CLANG and JINGLE together -- alerting everyone you've entered into their proximity and that you must be IMPORTANT because, AFTER ALL, you have THE KEYS.

After a few months or year, you grow out of this phase and no longer insist on your keys being so readily accessible as to dangle from your belt loops. In fact, resentment begins to build. THE KEYS bring you pain and confusion. Somebody doesn't close a door fully until it latches and something goes missing. YOU THERE -- with THE KEYS -- Why didn't YOU lock THE DOOR with THE KEYS -- YOUR KEYS?! (After all, it's your fault for not checking all thirty-three doors had been locked and latched shut the night before when it was 2AM and after a 19-hour day just wanted to collapse into the cushy wonder and amazement that is your bed. Or even your couch. OK, at this point, you'd have settled for as much as a carpeted floor to take a nap on before you had to be up again in 5 hours.).

Let us not forget the unending irritation of when other people know YOU have THE KEYS, and other people miss no opportunity to ask YOU to open THE DOORS. Enough time and irritation passes until one day you reconcile your sense of duty and dilligence with your apathy toward THE KEYS, and suddenly you find yourself just whoring out your keys to anyone who will take them so you don't have to go open the doors for other people every fifteen minutes (and it's almost never just one door they want opened, and the second door they want opened is always on the other side of the building.).

We also mustn't forget about THE ALARM. Now that you have THE KEYS, you also may have THE CODE that arms and disarms the building's security system. THE CODE seems like a blessing at first. Then one night you try to leave and you can't because THE CODE doesn't work. Somewhere, a cryptically labeled door you now know as "SW DR A15R" is either open or has a faulty sensor and you cannot leave until you find your mysterious "SW DR A15R" and show it who's boss. Naturally, you begin by going to the southwest corner of the building and find nothing. Out of screaming desperation, you begin pushing doors open and closing them again. You walk back across the building to control panel for THE ALARM, and find THE CODE still refuses to work. You begin walking around the building and opening and closing all the doors until stupid luck leads you to the offending faulty sensor and closing the door a second time resolves the error code.

GLEE! With THE CODE entered into THE ALARM, you can shut off the lights and be on your merry way! Happy day! Except that by now, it's 3:30AM and you've just about had it. Also, your car is out of gas. When you closed down the theater, you hopped in your car and drove around to the end of the building where THE ALARM resides and left your car running because you were only going to step in for a minute to sign out and arm the system. When you began searching for "SW DR A15R", you knew your car was running but figured it would only take you 10min tops to get that problem solved. In your exhausted stupor, 10min turned into an hour and your car was already low on gas because you haven't had a waking moment in the last week to so much as swing by a gas station. Moments before you're about to collapse to the ground beside your stalled car, you begin laughingly maniacally. In that kind of way you laugh only when you imagine how much fun everyone's going to have at your expense when they find out why your car is stalled in front of the main offices and that you slept in the theater last night under the desk for the lighting console.

Soon thereafter in a fit of rage and unabated willfull negligence, you toss THE KEYS into THE RIVER and begin chanting over and over "I DON'T HAVE THE KEYS FOR THAT SORRY" while giggling until your friend slaps you and you flip back into reality. The end.
Someone needed to vent.. you brought a smile to my face. Totally relatable.

Thank you for that Mike. I think I found my new audition monologue :D.

I was torn with my new job, because at my last place of employment, every key was a fight to get. Whereas here, day one I was given a Master key to the building and told not to tell anyone what it was...... At this point, its much more of a curse than a blessing, and as someone who just finally put gas in the car, I very much needed that laugh.

Well done.

You just had to tell that story didn't you . I ended up running out of gas tonight, it showed I had a range of 35 miles when I pulled into the parking lot tonight for the show, I figured I was fine and would just fuel up when I left. That plan was a total failure, I was facing downhill just enough that the fuel pickup wouldn't pickup any fuel. I guess at least I only had to walk a block to earn the pleasure of buying a way overpriced gas can from the gas station.

That just made my day. I've been there. My greatest joy lately has been returning to one of my old haunts (sans keys) and being able to say, "nope. I don't have keys to anything anymore. Not even the paper towel dispensers."
You just had to tell that story didn't you . I ended up running out of gas tonight, it showed I had a range of 35 miles when I pulled into the parking lot tonight for the show, I figured I was fine and would just fuel up when I left. That plan was a total failure, I was facing downhill just enough that the fuel pickup wouldn't pickup any fuel. I guess at least I only had to walk a block to earn the pleasure of buying a way overpriced gas can from the gas station.
Right?! I end up spending more on the gas can than on the gas I'm putting in it. I always justify it by, "well, I'll just keep this can in the truck so if it ever happens again, I already have one" nope. never works. Somebody usually borrows it two or three days before I end up needing it.

"Right?! I end up spending more on the gas can than on the gas I'm putting in it. I always justify it by, "well, I'll just keep this can in the truck so if it ever happens again, I already have one" nope. never works. Somebody usually borrows it two or three days before I end up needing it.[/QUOTE]

Thats so true of baby generator ones too. Every show with a home depot/lowes rental generator needs one since the gas in them last oh about 3 hours. Somehow the empty can that costs about $30 can never be found for the next show (no, no one's stealing it for the gas, we give whatever gas is left to someone on the crew instead of saving it).

As a student myself I feel your pain, I have easy access to keys but there are always those times that no one is around...but no a person who is under 18 and cannot assume liability should not ever have keys to a facility. Also, please do not install something as evil as a key lock to the power, there is no reason for such a thing if the booth is properly secured!

EDIT: I do have alarm codes for the school and theatre because I have been known to work late and have to set the alarm before I leave.

Last edited:
i have access to auditorium keys that i can sign out at the office. They allow me to equipment in the music room as well. Other than that, there is always a janitor on duty if im in the building.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back