The above Ad will no longer appear after you Sign Up for Free!

Kliegel Control Protocol

Discussion in 'Lighting and Electrics' started by Radman, Sep 25, 2005.

1. Radman

Radman Well-Known Member

Does anyone know what the kliegel lighting control protocol is? My school is doing a joint production with another school and using their space, but their lighting is an OLD kliegel dimmers patchbay and console. We just got an ETC Express at my school and I want to try and find or make or have made a converter (thinking DMXTools) so I can shave off precious time by working alot at home or my school. Any info would be great, I don't know much as I've only even been in the space once, and dont have particulars, though I'll try and find some pics or something.

2. BillESC

BillESC Well-Known Member Premium Member

Hi Ryan,

How "old" is old? Let me have a model number and I'll get you the answer. Bobby Kliegel is a friend of mine.

3. Radman

Radman Well-Known Member

Wow talk about connections! Unfortunately, I won't be able to get into the space and see the board for quite some time, however, if there were some pics I could go off of I could. I'd say its from the seventies, probably 71. The dimmers are modular and built into the wall, and the light board is attached to the wall in the booth and has like a key slot and knobs and levers from what I can remember.

4. Inaki2

Inaki2 Active Member

I'm guessing they're analog 0-10vdc, but don't quote me on that. I don't ever remember Kliegel being big on dimming or control or ever having their own protocol for it.

5. BillESC

BillESC Well-Known Member Premium Member

Analog would also be my first guess due to the age of the system.

Can you see the control cable? The type of connector and or number of conductors will certainly help in determining the answer.

6. Radman

Radman Well-Known Member

That's the problem- I can't see anything there beacuse I don't have access yet.

7. avkid

avkid Not a New User Fight Leukemia

Stagehand/ Production Company Owner
    call them and ask.

8. Mike944

Mike944 Member

I had to troubleshoot one of those old kliegel boards once. At that age, it's definitely analog.

If i remember right, Kliegel used some weird control voltage, like 0-18V, 0-36V or 0-48V or something like that.

Good luck!

9. wemeck

wemeck Active Member

Kliegl is pretty much bankrupt. There was an atempt to resurrect the compnay in like 1992 but that lost steam.

10. Radman

Radman Well-Known Member

He might have been talking about calling the school and asking the model number. At least thats what I thought.

11. AVGuyAndy

AVGuyAndy Active Member

If you do need a weird control voltage converter, call Dove systems. They are the cheapest in that area.