• Bowline

Votes: 3 8.1%
  • Both

Votes: 26 70.3%
  • Neither

Votes: 4 10.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Bowline: With the long end of the rope at the top, make a hole (loop) by running the short end over the long end CCW. Taking the short, free end, "the rabbit comes out of the hole, runs around the back of the tree, and back into the hole."

What Rigger?: Keepin' CB gangsta since Aug. 2006.

Yeah...well, you know how it is- pimpin' ain't easy but it's necessary. Pardon me now while I go spill some OE outta my 40 for all my dead homies here in this lilly-white part of SoCal I live in.

Word.;)

13 loops.
Required key strokes
the 'for show' hangman's noose traditionally had 13 coils, but in practice, they only used 6 to 8 because 13 got way too tight and they couldn't reuse the rope because they would have to cut it off. I did a speech on this stuff a couple of years ago.

Depending on your source a noose is 7 or 13 turns. Though, for a show, it can probably be done with any number to look real.
I'm a volunteer at the San Diego Maritime Museum, so knots and I get along pretty well. Apart from being very useful, we get tested on knots every year. In theatre I've seen people struggle to bracket two things together, and then show them how a knot can be of equal or greater use.

the 'for show' hangman's noose traditionally had 13 coils, but in practice, they only used 6 to 8 because 13 got way too tight and they couldn't reuse the rope because they would have to cut it off. I did a speech on this stuff a couple of years ago.

I was told traditionally the hang mans noose used 13 coils to break the neck of the victim. Also my theater teacher told us its illegal and bad luck to use a 13 coil hang mans noose. I'm not positive if its true just adding my cents.

Also does anyone know how to do a "throw knot"?
I had a guy on my crew who could tie a knot by holding the ends of a rope and spins it while throwing one of the ends through a loop, tightening itself into a pretty strong knot with a loop.

I don't know about Nevada, but in California, it's illegal to tie a noose with 13 turns.

Technically all knots are thrown, that's the verb for creating a knot :grin:. Could you provide a picture of the knot or a more detailed description? I know of a knot that can be thrown, but it doesn't usually have a working loop or bight.

well...I cant tie much. never thought of myself as a stagehand, usually a board op. have worked theatre sound and my SM told me if you cant tie a know well tie a lot of them. I laughed and followed through but i would rather be able to tie knots correctly. any good ways for me to learn?

I know square, bowline, double half-hitch, taut-line, clovehitch, sheepshank, and a few others, but usually when I can get away with it I tie the F***-it Knot.

Anyone know how to tie a one-handed bowline? What are you gonna do to get out if you fall off an overhanging and break your arm and can't walk/climb out? Yay Eagle Scouts! (all I have left is the project, already submitted mine for approval)

Bowline: With the long end of the rope at the top, make a hole (loop) by running the short end over the long end CCW. Taking the short, free end, "the rabbit comes out of the hole, runs around the back of the tree, and back into the hole."

I learned the same story, including" the tree roots go into the ground, the rabbit comes out..." to remind you to lay the butt OVER the long rope. I also always throw a bight into the hole after the rabbit runs around the tree instead of the butt so that I have a release tail to pull on when I'm ready to untie it. When you haunch down on a bowline, it's a pain to release, but with the bight through the hole all you have to do is pull.

"the rabbit comes out of the hole, runs around the back of the tree, and back into the hole."

In the rigging class I took last week, the Bowline was alternately described as... "The stage hand walks out of the bar, around the telephone pole, and back into the bar."

:twisted:

One handed bowlines just require a lot of forefinger and thumb in moving the working end of the line through the initial loop. I don't really know how to describe it in words. Practice?, I guess.

Yeah I guess you could do it that way, the way I learned it was holding the rope and not really using your fingers. This would be tieing the rope around your waist by the way. No actual advantage to it in theater.

I learned the the Clove Hitch, the Sheet Bend, and a one handed around your body bowline at the State High School Theater Festival a couple years ago. It was in the Techie Olympics, and in the event, we had to tie a clove hitch around a pipe with an overhand as a stopper knot, tie the second rope to that rope with a Sheet bend, then finish it out with the one handed bowline. I think I got it in about 16 seconds, but the record was 11 I think. It's a lot of fun, and sometimes I just do it in my house to practice my knots. They're all knots that I use all the time in our theater.

Question of the day item, How many loops <wraps> are incorporated into a "real" Hangmans noose.[/QUOTE]

As far as I remember, there are 13 loops on a hangman's noose. For those who were not boyscouts, the reason for the noose is not strangulation, but to instantly break the neck, hence the reason for the long, stiff knot. By the way, I have used bowlines for years to tie down loads on my work truck. Let's find a happy topic tomorrow. LOL

Users who are viewing this thread

Back