Knots used in Theatre

I like to volunteer at small theaters whenever I have a chance. It's not my field, but I love focusing lights, mainly because I like being up high.

The other day I had to pass a bucket down the sky so that the TD could give me something. I tied a square knot around the bucket and sent it down. When he saw the knot I had tied, he said "that's not the right kind of knot. Lucky we aren't sending anything heavier up to you."

I knew that the square knot wasn't the right knot, but we didn't really have time for him to go through teaching me the right knots. A search online has yielded poor results.

What knot should I have tied to the handle of the bucket in order for it to be safe?

Thanks

I generally find a clove hitch with a half hitch will do the job in applications like yours. Honestly, I've found very few applications at all where either a clove hitch, bowline, or bow knot wouldn't work.

And of course, there's the Peruvian Bird knot: don't know the knot, tie a lot.

Find the little red Book of Knots. Tells you degree of strength, difficulty, etc. Also, see the Backstage Handbook and the Stage Rigging Handbook

Thanks to "gcpsoundlight". The answer is carabiner. "Be prepared" is for more than Boy Scouts (and I am a Woodbadger and ex-Commissioner)

You need to understand them in order to get them apart !

Attachments

• headphone-knots (1).jpg
    headphone-knots (1).jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 86
You need to understand them in order to get them apart !

And I'm pretty sure I have had to deal with almost every one of those sometime in the past year.

does anyone have any good images on how to tie knots i'm trying to get a basic guide for some students at a high school i TD at.

i might use that in a pinch but i;m hoping to get a single page with several knots on it showing how to tie them

i might use that in a pinch but i;m hoping to get a single page with several knots on it showing how to tie them

I would just google image search 'how to tie ___________' I just tried bowline and it returned many results. do this for each of the knots you want and combine the images either in word, paint, or photoshop. Although if someone already has something like this I would also love to use it for my classroom.

You could use one from the Boy Scouts and just highlight the ones required.
40knots.jpg

There are plenty of knots that can come in handy. Theatre knots, boyscout knots, and sailor knots, but the only three you need to know are the bowline, clove hitch (in my mind not complete without a half hitch on the end), and truckers hitch. Those three got me through all my various jobs in various venues from road houses to traditional houses, to cruise ships.

Remember- when in doubt-ask. Rigging can become very dangerous very quickly if improper knots are used.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back