• HDR setup

• Video codecs
  • Basic audio
  • Timecode
  • Hands-on setup of a recording station

• techniques of projection, blending and warping
  • projector based controls

• basics of camera engineering, shading and color matching

Learning to pick up camera op skills. Recorder operator skills etc.

In my original post - those are topics i plan on learning. Am i going the right direction?

Where do you want to be a camera or record op? Corporate events? Sports ball? Independent wedding videographer?

Not sure if this is relevant to your question, but as any "operator" you should know the basics of video, audio and lighting troubleshooting.
With video, this is a little more complicated because the video could be digital or analog. I've met many video people that don't understand why you can't use old 100' coax with f connectors and adapt to bnc and use for 3GSDI.

Why do you need to know audio? Because if you're a record op, you're recording video AND audio and you need to know how to describe an issue you're having.

Why do you need to know lighting? Because your camera is capturing video using artificial light and depending on how important the video is, you need to be able to describe what you're seeing or what you'd recommend to improve it. Also, you might see a dark spot on stage that's 1/2 stop under exposed, but unless your lighting guy is also a camera guy, he or she won't know what the hell a stop is and why you only have 1/2 of one.

Not sure where you are located. If you are willing to travel to take some classes, at least one AV company that I know about has classes that might interest you. There are most likely others near you.

In your title, you mention projection as well as camera. There is a ton to know in both. As you mention more on the camera side in your later post, I would highly recommend picking that as there is a lot more online training available. If you can make your way to the National Association of Broadcasters (NAB) convention in April, you would have tons of opportunities for hands on with many different camera and recording systems with the opportunity to speak directly with the manufacturers.

I may have the wrong impression and please advice me on this - But i see cam ops, coming in on a corporate gig . Set up a camera and and that is it until the event starts and they operate the camera.

As long as i start learn how to build the camera and operation of it I can get by on a Corporate Gig. ?

Projectionists and Camera Ops are two different jobs.

if your camera ops are getting away with setting up the cameras and not helping with the cable runs to video village then switching over to giving a hand with the projector stacks then that sounds like an easy gig.

Yes you should know how to hook up your camera and test all functions as well as troubleshoot issues without bugging or calling the PM over.
This ranges from old cameras to new digital ones.
After that the projectionist or switcher will want to run through some chips and things will be adjusted from that.

A projectionist hangs the projector stacks routes whatever signal is needed. 5 wire , SDI ,and or fiber back to video village then let’s the switcher ops branch out to whatever devices are the source. After signal is done you align your stacks or blend depending on your screen/screens or hell even do all of that sometimes.

Everything you listed is the basics to both jobs. Learning both will make you more valuable however everyone always wants to do video so good luck getting your foot in the door. I’ve not meet a video guy that’s not older than me as well as camera ops.

Also, honestly, a big part about being a camera op is paying attention. It's probably the only job where you literally have to watch the monitor the entire event. I've had tons of union guys fall asleep after listening to non stop medical speak or anything else incredibly uninteresting so it's really a skill.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back