KREG face panel for flat construction?

Hello,

I'm a 25 year IATSE stagehand mainly in set construction, but also in other fields as well. A friend who works in construction asked me if I could build some 4'x8' luan covers flats for a portable potty covering. The construction crew said they usually use 2x4's and heavy plywood, which gets trashed afterwards. My friend wants to reuse the stuff and if it's light weight, he can just deal with the flats himself, loose pin hinging them together.

I just received a KREG jig setup from a friend and haven't used pocket hole construction much. I usually do biscuit joinery, but that's the tools I have had. I was thinking of maybe building these 4'x8 flats with pocket holes, no keystones or corner blocks, and glue and staple the luan onto the face. This would cut down on materials and a bit on storage space.

Has anyone ever used pocket hole construction for flat building? Any pros or cons?

I've built faux windows with a Kreg jig. These have holographic rear projection film stapled instead of luaun. They're still in the inventory 5+ years later, minus the film.

radium girls.jpg

Not too long ago I moved to building my hard flats, Broadway and Hollywood, exactly this way. The extra time drilling pocket holes is easily made up for by not having to create corner blocks and keystones. Store nice and flat too. Like techie man said, the luan adds so much strength you’ll definitely be fine.

If you end up liking this method, I highly recommend upgrading to the Castle 110 pocket cutter. You may notice some annoying slipping of the joints when driving the screws with the Kreg, especially without proper clamping, which adds more time. The lower angle of the Castle drastically reduces slippage. It also cuts really nice and clean holes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back