KROFFT'S MINIATURE COUNTERWEIGHT HOUSE FOR MARIONETTES (1976)

The Krofts had their fleeting fame and then... Sid and Marty who?

The puppeteers doing so many shows a day, no wonder they needed young people.

Thanks for another field trip we didn't know we needed to take!

The Krofts had their fleeting fame and then... Sid and Marty who?
Hey they got to dominate kids TV for over 10 years. They had a very solid moment in the sun. Most of my childhood was spent watching Kroft shows.

After the theater and amusement park around it sat shuttered for quite some time, the whole Omni complex became the CNN center and the Kroft's world area rebuilt into their production facilities. It's entirely possible that the theater was remodeled or updated into a studio and is still in use in that form, though I don't know if that actually happened.

The escalator is definitely still there, and is still the largest unsupported escalator in the world. (It was never the largest escalator overall; there are some in the St. Petersburg, Russia metro system that predate it by a couple decades and are over twice as long. The geology of St. Petersburg requires that the metro system be exceptionally deep underground.)

Great article. I truly appreciate the time and personality that goes into these articles. It could easily be a 5000 word essay and 150 photos, but the words and photos used here make an enjoyable and inspiring read while enjoying my breakfast.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back