L27 - Stage Riging Fundamentals

philhaney

CBMod
CB Mods
I'm taking the Stage Rigging Fundamentals course, taught by Jay O. Glerum.

After day one (it continues tomorrow) I've gotta say it's worth the price of admission.

Jay started with a discussion on Liability - different types, what's involved, and several scenarios that echoed what [USER]What Rigger?[/USER] said best when he said:
You must perform due diligence for all of your actions. YOU are ultimately responsible for your own safety
Jay also echoed our safety policy here at ControlBooth.com to the letter:
If you can't do it safely, don't do it!

We learned how to calculate multiple loads on beams properly (bridle calculations are tomorrow), the correct and incorrect way to orient a truss when installing it, why we even use truss, how to inspect our hardware, and why we use a minimum 5:1 design ratio for hardware and static wire rope.

A lot more was covered today, but if I went through it all, you wouldn't need to take the class.

One more thing, we also covered why shoelaces always break where they do, and how to prevent it from happening...

Last edited:
Ooh, ooh, I know the answer to the last one. Then again, I've taken his class twice.

He also has some pretty gruesome videos to make the point of why you need to know what you're doing.

This is just making me angry as to why it seems that NONE of these tradeshows are ever in the North East USA...I've been wanting to take a rigging class from Jay O. Glerum for years now but I cannot afford to travel to the west coast. :(

Even if it was in NYC I could go...but unfortunately not.

This is just making me angry as to why it seems that NONE of these tradeshows are ever in the North East USA...I've been wanting to take a rigging class from Jay O. Glerum for years now but I cannot afford to travel to the west coast. :(

Even if it was in NYC I could go...but unfortunately not.

He has been doing the same seminar for as long as I can remember. He offers it at USITT and LDI every year. USITT moves every year, this next year its in North Carolina. It was in Cincinnati two years ago. It has not been in the northeast for a number of years. So, if you want to go... buy a ticket to NC. The next year its going to Long Beach (Again....), so this might be your only chance.

Also, conferances are usually held in warm places. No one wants to be in the northeast in the winter unless you have a pair of skiis strapped to your feet. This is why Vegas is the #1 trade show destination.

...This is why Vegas is the #1 trade show destination.
And Orlando is #2.

USITT was in Boston in 1991 and NYC in 1985, so it does seem the Northeast is past due. Join USITT and get on the conference committee to lobby for your area. Or organize a seminar via your USITT chapter or IATSE local.

Also, consider seminars by others than Mr. Glerum, i.e. Sapsis, Hall, Paulson et al. Here's one in NYC in August [-]2011[/-] (err, sorry, 2010): B-n-W Rigging.

Last edited:
I would love a Seminar by any of those guys, and the website you linked says the seminar was August 2010 so it has already passed.

I would love a Seminar by any of those guys, and the website you linked says the seminar was August 2010 so it has already passed.

Already did! I might try and get my boss to have Sapsis come in to our theatre and do a seminar, the kids could really use one better than me, who only knows the moderately advanced stuff.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back