Labeling Multi-cable

Where's Part1?

• Total voters

derekleffew

Resident Curmudgeon
Senior Team
Premium Member
Question for Production Electricians:

On a ballroom or arena corporate show, when a run exceeds the length of a single cable, it's standard practice to mark the ends as "ML1: Part 1 of 2" or "R1A: Part 2 of 3" or similar. However, should "Part 1" be the first run from the dimmers or the fixtures?

Vote and discuss.

Last edited:
It's definitely going to be dimmers. In a complicated show, fixtures could be all over the place. In some types of corporate shows, such as a trade show, the event takes place in a large convention center, even in multiple rooms, meaning the fixtures are dispersed through out the area. However, dimmers will almost always be in one place.

I would start with part 1 at the dimmers on account of the fact that I would probably be stringing the cable form the dimmers to the fixtures. Though i suppose one could make the argument to run the cable the other direction from the fixtures to the dimmers so that any slack ends up at the dimmers.

I always start at the light and go to the dimmers so any coil will be hidden. I always mark circuits but I have never numbered sections. Whether it is two pieces or six, I only mark what that cable is doing, not how many is in the chain. Other than keeping track of what has been used of the stock. I don't see the advantage.

the only advantage i can see is if you label at every junction, then when you see two cables plugged together you know what they are and how much further they have to go.

I label the breaks so I know which junction is which buut just not the number in the string. I'm not saying it is wrong, I just never have done it.

In an install, it's not really necesary, but if you were in a situation where you needed to pull out stuff on a regular basis, then that would be helpful.

Also, I don't like multicore for anything other than running to pipes (Too many experiences of Floor LX with 5x5 way multi's... heavy f***ers!)

Part one should be the first run from the dimmers. In the event the fixture were to re-locate, with cable getting moved or eliminated, you'd still want something labeled and if cable were eliminated, having the remaining as "Part 2" wouldn't then make sense.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back