Lamp Base

Dustincoc

Anyone else have a problem with either Osram FLK bases being the wrong size? We have gotten several bad batches over the past year or so.

Its not so much bad batches...yes they vary in microns from batch to batch to the point where you may need a bracket to keep them in or they'll slide out. Conversly sometimes they don't fit.

We always seem to get the oversized ones. It may be we just don't notice the overly small ones. They do seem to come in batches. If we order 5 lamps, and they either all fit or the all don't, it doesn't sem like just one here and there.

Its true...it is the batch...but its not that the batch is bad it just doesn't fit your instruments. We have a stock of the brackets I was speaking of for our Berky ERS's.

We don't use FLKs but I did have our entire stock of EHDs not fitting into any of our 360Qs. I go and try to replace blown lamps, and it was the even the same brand, but the curves at the corners of the lamp were just barely too big to go into the base. I ended up ordering one of several different brands just to make sure I got one that fit. We now have a stock that fits the instruments and about 5 or 6 lamps that don't. I think the lamps that don't fit are Osrams. I don't have any idea what I'm going to do with them.

Last edited:
Beyond the question of why are you still using FLK lamps in general, a G-9.5 lamp base is by ANSI code a G-9.5 medium bi-pin lamp base. 9.53mm oc. Bet. Pins 15/16" at top of Skirt and 24mm wide at horz. width Pin Dia is 3.17mm at 11.4mm long. Beyond this, this is DIN code for the lamp base of any ANSI lamp. In other words, one brand of lamp is the same as another in every way I have seen so far as relating to its pins fitting into a socket.

It while globe size, output, color temperature and lamp life being a bit more flexible is not something that an ANSI lamp no matter the brand does not match without difficulty.

What is it about the batches of five lamps that seem to be a problem more specifically in seeming to note a persay larger or smaller size? This not that in FLK that I am loyal to any one brand better than another this other than to the original pre-market Thorn HX-600 Robert Altman personally sent me at one point.

Interested in learning about the bad batches with say wider dia. on the pins or even say blobs on them which prevent adequate use. All assuming of course that the sockets such lamps are going in are proper and in good condition also.

Interested and will let Osram know of your displeasure given much more detail and info. This much less when was the last time the fixture lamp sockets were replaced or in not properly fitting did you send the lamps back and what did on return the end result become?

Interesting to me one brand to another concept of lamps fitting in sockets. Never heard of this before assuming sockets in good condition. One would assume a proper socket would fit all lamps of its type properly. This much less retain them if in good condition no matter the brand if specified for the lamp type.

See my thread Stuck in Edu. Theatre too long.. for why we're using FLK's, we just switched to them from ehd's, ehg's, fel's, ect. in the past couple of years.

The lamp bases, specifically the cast(Ceramic?) bases are slightly too big to fit into the sockets. I can't remember the exact reason the don't fit but I'm thinking the corners were too sharp. Every time we got a bad lamps, they were sent back to BMI and were sent replacements. It's been a while, but the first time we had the problem, lamps had already gotten mixed in the spare lamp pile. They didn't turn up again so I'm guessing that some of the units have worn out bases that are slightly larger. The maintanence of these units has been no existent for the past 10 or so years. I'm changing that this summer. Only one off sized lamp has shown up this year and I think it got sent back, either that or its still in the office somewhere. I'm not so much complaining about Osram as wondering if anyone else has problems with lamps fitting in sockets. The only reason I mentioned that they were Osram lamps is because that is the brand FLK's we order.

Last edited:
I look at it more as a failing from the sales people selling them the gear in not keeping their customer up to date than the customer too busy to stay up with the times until pushed to modernize or experiment. Hmm, why don’t I do more sales where I work type of thing... endless problems and I have my own problems in staying up to date as a primary buyer.

Still my suppliers attempt to keep me as up to date as possible be it from play testing pre-market lamps to just plain feeing me inside info where they can so as to if not keep me in mind with them as a supplier, at least get me on line with the newest gear.

Let’s face it, students have studies, professors have shows, class and life. Ain’t like quarterly LDI’s everyone gets to attend in staying up with what is fresh to the industry, this much less easy to once something new comes out transfer into it within a budget while maintaining ones expected outcome.

When I have to play sales person or lamp expert for the company I often confuse also with too much info. This much less even at times if I send out a sample it don’t make for a sale even if I would not send out a sample if I did not think it would be a better option. Sales game is complex in even the sales people being the weak link between lamp buyer I am, the sales person, me providing all the info the sales person needs in educating the customer and that customer somehow not getting that or if given it sticking with what works for them. Lots of stuff and concepts out there and overall it might not be the in-shop person’s fault for not being up on what is younger than almost these days 15+ year old technology.

Good that you are noting the questionable lamp socket term in that how some lamps get made differs largely by way of how they are retained and what materials are making that part of what retains them on the lamp level be it ceramic or metal. Endless fights with the original ceramic HPL lamps which tended to break verses other of both that tended not to seat or once there fall out. Materials that make up the housing for the pins does differ company to company but is more a question of the socket - fixture holding lamp base than lamp overall in this because normally no matter the material, lamp base to lamp base the tolerances are really normally at least good.

Ah’ back than to the days of a MSR 700 lamp before P3 technology, purple paint etc. This lamp type didn’t in its original incarnation last long. Switched to a domestic brand for a while that was far more random in quality control this much less still zoning in the chemical and pressure mixture of their lamps to match a name brand. Lot number to lot number they were often way off. This much less spatter “mistakes” on the nickel plating of the lamp pins which cannot otherwise be described in other than welding terms. Imagine blobs of material on the pins to the lamp base pins. That’s not a good thing but from this company what we often saw. That is gonna destroy a socket and much less not last long in a fixture. Was often told in sending them back upon inspection that there was a slight error with that lot number until I could no longer depend on that company for a supplier.

Imagine you got your expensive lamp but there was blobs of material on the pins of the lamp.

Anyway, as with most new lamps - the Fast Fit style at the top of my list for being crap, there is some give and take with them until they mature perhaps or become dead lamp lines I could only hope with that style of lamp very similar to the development of the MSR 700SA history, this or say the MSI 1800w/s lamp line in the other extreme.

Still the HX-600/FLK line of lamp has been on the market as long as I have been a pro in the industry persay. One would think that initially it not the lamps pins but more a question of bad socket.

See ya in the Phillips GLA line of lamps once you change all that.

The lamps I'm referring to, I can guess where we got them from, though I have no idea how long ago we bought them. Certainly before last August, when I started, and no idea how much longer before that. One of our visiting LDs who used to own a supply company here, told me he had never seen such a thing before.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back