Lamp Fell Into the Fixture

DHSLXOP

Hi Everyone,
I was changing a lamp today in a Strand Leko and after pushing into the socket, I put it into the fixture. After putting it into the fixture apparently the lamp slipped out and fell through. After tilting the fixture I was able to get the lamp out, but I want to make sure that I didn't damage or puncture anything in the fixture. What sorts of things should I look for before I put a new lamp into the fixture and put it back on the pipe? Thanks in advance.

You could take out the lens assembly and make sure that it didn't damage any lenses (unlikely). You could also do the same to the reflector if its glass. Other than that I don't think there should be anything to worry about.

You should be fine, might be time to swap out the base though. If there is any damage, It would be to the reflector, and it would be damage that it would agitate, not start (if it was starting to flake, it would flake more..). Remember, these things are designed to be drug on and off trucks, they can take it.

Also, inspect the lamp itself. Small scratches and things like that can make for unexpected dramatic lamp failures.

Love the TP-22 (G-9.5) base fixture in general though confounded at times to properly seat them much less remove them. But as with a S-4 PAR and Leko, any other bi-pin lamp fixture etc, much less plugs be them pin, blade or twist, and even a crimp terminal, all the above needs after seating the lamp = you can tell, you tend to want to ensure the lamp will stay there with a slight upward tug etc. Doing less does tend to allow a lamp at times to fall out, if not a plug connection to come undone etc. At times and much of the time it is a gear problem you are in testing the fitting attempting to test - even to the extent of on a PAR 64 lamp if that socket can support the weight of the lamp given a bounce test by way of proper tension of base on lamp for conductivity, or in the case of a TP-22 Leko socket, that which seems to be seated but perhaps is not or is but with a bad lamp socket. Been there, done that with lamp falling out even on simlar lamps as with ETC lamps falling out.

No substitute for that test. Could be a bad lamp socket, but at times it could just be one that is good and has sufficient retaining clips, just for some reason the lamp was inserted in just such a way that they didn't work.

Again with the inspecting of the bad lamp for what its pins look like as a mirror image of what the socket looks like. Looking at the lamp socket even if it takes flash light and inspection mirror so as to save money on having to go thru endless good lamps in trashing them before one knows one has a really bad by than socket, and it takes as perhaps a newer thought not as much discussed, that test of the socket tension on the lamp and a looking at it so as to ensure the lamp is properly seated. Not like at times taking a pipe and rubber mallet to fully seat HPL lamps into a new S-4 PAR socket, but at times just as difficult to seat the lamp properly.

As for what might go bad on the lamp/fixture to inspect, as with the above. Most likely one would want to inspect the fill pinch seal at the tip of the lamp if it has one or side pinch tit otherwise to ensure this very fragile part has not been damaged or broken. Inspect the filament grid support - if glass bar holding the filament supports that's an easy thing to break. On scratches, that is not so much of a problem initially, it is a hard glass and normally won't seriously enough to cause a problem scratch deep enough to effect the lamp. On the other hand you do tend to want to clean the lamp fully before use or it might have problems. Inspect the joint between base and globe also in that while it normally would not have a problem with cracking by way of bouncing around within a fixture, improper install might have damaged the cement between socket and lamp. Dependant upon how damaged this is, would play a factor in lamp life or its dependability by way of support.

Clean the lamp, re-seat it, test that seat and play again if good now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back