Conventional Fixtures Lamp Options?

Hi folks! I inherited some Selecon Acclaim fresnels and have found them quite handy in our space. Does anyone know if there is a lamp that could replace the FRK 650W? The filament is incredibly fragile at operating temp. Any little bump while focusing, and out goes the lamp.

Thoughts?

The specs just show the FRK, unless you want the extended life version (FRE 400 hours vs 200 hrs). It's quite possible that you got a bad batch, or a cheap batch that are all inclined to fail prematurely. Is the lamp from a major manufacturer?

Any little bump while focusing, and out goes the lamp.
You're not touching the fixture with the lamp lit are you! Gasp! Sadly, this is a problem with virtually all Fresnels, due to the way they focus with lamp and reflector riding on a sled that moves to and fro the lens. Screw-feed Fresnels are only slightly better. The FRK's filament looks as robust as they come, with the famous "four source" segment design. Does the sled move freely on its guide rails? Perhaps lubricating with some powdered graphite could help.*

All that being said, here's a link to an Impact FRK Lamp. Not sure what the context of "Impact" is, other than perhaps a poor choice of brand name.

Paging our lamp manufacturer @DELO72 and of course @ship .

*Well, nevermind. From the website:
Lamp life is enhanced through judder-free focus action of the captive lamp/reflector assembly which moves on Teflon-coated bearings.
It must be just you! :(

The sled moves just fine once it is moving. It's getting it moving that can be a challenge. Despite loosening the focus knob, I usually have to apply some pressure to it perpendicular to the direction of travel to "break" it loose. It can be done with a little no-impact pressure from my hand, but if I have students focusing, they are not always so gentle.

The specs just show the FRK, unless you want the extended life version (FRE 400 hours vs 200 hrs). It's quite possible that you got a bad batch, or a cheap batch that are all inclined to fail prematurely. Is the lamp from a major manufacturer?
I guess I may have gotten a bad lot. They're all USHIO, FRK JCS120V-650WC. They all seem to go in the same or similar spots, so maybe its worth trying a fresh batch. It doesn't take much either. If they are warm, at all, we have to be careful during any focus adjustments. A kid runs the sled too far and bumps one end of the track or the other...blink. Bump the housing with a barn door...blink. I've never come across anything like it. I'm used to my 65Qs that are a lot more rugged compared to these, so I figured I would check.

Hi folks! I inherited some Selecon Acclaim fresnels and have found them quite handy in our space. Does anyone know if there is a lamp that could replace the FRK 650W? The filament is incredibly fragile at operating temp. Any little bump while focusing, and out goes the lamp.

Thoughts?
Calling @ship @DELO72 This post's right up your alleys.
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard

Last edited:
No apparent lamp options. Try a different brand perhaps. PM me and I'll give you an active contact to a Ushio rep. that visited me this week as per problem solver and or perhaps needs to join the forum.

At work, we have a bunch of this fixture in inventory, there is not a problem in lamps blowing. In checking the inventory, Ushio is also the brand.

Overall, excuse of bad lot numbers isn't a real concept at this point in production. Yes there is some end of day lamp things, but mostly... there is not a lot number problem overall for lamps these days.

As per normal science, photos of the bad lamps is a good starting point. Was actually watching Air Disasters on Smithsonian channel tonight in finding after a plane crash, about indicator lights... In a crash, a filament based lamp not working during the crash due to a cold brittle filament will break... A lamp working at the time of the crash will stretch. Photos will also indicate if a problem of finger... Fu@# the lamp, in filament being blown towards or away from that oil source from the finger that causes trauma to the proper operation of the Halogen Effect'.

Early in my career I probably wiped out all Leko lamps in the store front theater inventory due to this.

Don't help for a bumped Fresnel much during focus in blowing lamps. Again, where I work has these type of fixture though, and even if barbarian (IA) stage hands focusing them, I have not noted a problem with the lamp or filament over a few years. Photo's and investigate further.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back