Lamp Primer

Jammer

Probably second nature to many veterans, but curious if anyone knows a good link or pointer to a lighting
primer that lists the various types of lamps in use along with current manufacturers, current availability and
future production/availability of the lamp. This would help with reviewing current inventory and
estimating EOL or reviewing new/used purchase, e.g. being aware that the replacement bulb is more expensive than the asking price of the fixture or there is only one manufacturer of that bulb and they will halt production in 20XX...

Probably second nature to many veterans, but curious if anyone knows a good link or pointer to a lighting
primer that lists the various types of lamps in use along with current manufacturers, current availability and
future production/availability of the lamp. This would help with reviewing current inventory and
estimating EOL or reviewing new/used purchase, e.g. being aware that the replacement bulb is more expensive than the asking price of the fixture or there is only one manufacturer of that bulb and they will halt production in 20XX...
Calling: @DELO72 Mark; this post has your name all over it.
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard

Hi Ron, It does- but I don't have the time or resources to even consider taking on such a task. I'm not saying that it isn't a VERY worthy request or task, it's just I don't have the resources to do so. I wish I did.

Jammer- If you can send me a list of just your fixture inventory, I could review it and zip you back a spreadsheet with my comments on each as much as I know. A focused list is MUCH easier than a full blown industry resource. [email protected]

Could you just comment of end of life for HPL and EHG lamps? Rumors of 7 years or so on HPL's have been common.

Between USHIO and OSRAM there as still almost 1 Million HPLs made and sold each year. HPLs will be around for a long, long time, baring any unforeseen events. Same for EHG. The high volume types (EHG, HPL, FLK, FEL, DPY, CYX, EGT, GLC/A/D/E, etc. should all be around for a while. While the total global volumes have declined, people have exited the market (example: Philips for TH lamps), leading to share increases with those that remain and still make them. The rumors are mostly spread by the companies that want you to convert to their LED fixtures. *smirk*

Kind of unfair question but a good one.

Many no doubt probably remember like 18 years ago the first LED cyc light (before the S-4 PAR came out if I remember correctly) - about like output of a 300w six cell version with bad color rendering. I remember the McCartney tour where basically every Mac 101 was bought out which could be found in converting to LED.l And now we have the LED which went Leko and even in seeing today some about +100 LED Studio Fresnels in service which seem to make the 2Kw Fresnel obsolete. Amongst LED Leko's now.

How does one predict the incandescent an even metal halide lamps given advancements in LED? Gives me pandimonium with no doubt Mark. Certainily gives me problems in figuring out what lamps to stock by the hundreds one year, next... sitting on stock of them. Mark @ Osram has a difficult place to be at, even continue the line of radial Leko lamps given it is one less installer like me no longer needing the radial lamps - except if I'm re-doing them for another site. Often such fixtures go into recycycling as with often other old fixtures even if such replacements are really bad substitutions. HPL lamps... believe first time buy this year for a specific show needing a lot of them, other than that flat line in buys.

What next year to predict... hard job to say to Osram bosses but mostly down prediection in market for sustaining production of what it does. A few weeks ago I needed around 600x HPL 575w/115v high output lamps for a show. Last time I bought such lamps was a few years ago. This doesn't help Mark's job in figuring out if cost effecive to continue making them. Makes Mark's job who once did the HPR lamp as a great invention... but not enough sales to continue making them... really hard. I keep every once in a while joking in saying someone invented the liquid filled halogen lamp - as per a concept of some xenon projector lamps in a concept...

Now that the HPL lamp is no longer pattent... to best invent stuff, perhaps reflector installed HPL if can figure out how to do it, and or indeed liquid filled internal reflector HPL invention might become efficient as a concept. But up against a LED light.. gen.. what is is 3 or 4 now?

And next in market... the amount of S-4 Leko's down scale marketing to say store front thaters at this point. Believe Elation our primary Leko source at this point. None the less, the S-4 Leko is becoming obsolete and will be filtering down to the store front theater scene. That's a problem for radial Leko lamp production future.

Overall, the LED market is surpassing lighting design I think, and getting from what I see modern lighting, but even if superior fixtures.. less in a lighting design concept unless added to the inventory or specific replacement.

Overall what I see, is a new period in lighting, one is less served by lights provided as common for history, but hopefully a new generation requiring more in establishing a new design with LED's
next generation of lighting concepts. Got enough cable to install 6x LED color changing fixtures 48" on center from the first house electric. This will be an improvement in what is there? Next Gen as past generations coming for what is next hopefully. Feel we are at a low point in install/design and fixture use for stage currently, and look forward to next gen.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back