Lanyards, do I really need them?

I think my piece is about 10¢ cause it has white inner threads.

My $0.02

-- Any tool you take to Height should be tied off to you or your work platform (genie lift, ladder, etc.) in some way. Power tools are always tricky here because any lanyard or tie-off cannot interfere or potentially interfere with the working parts of the tool (tieline caught in a circ saw's arbor is a nightmare and terrifying...)
-- You should limit the number of tools you carry to working at Height to the absolute minimum needed.
-- If you need a large assortment of tools, some kind of alternative should be considered to corral runaway tools (scaffolding with a toe-kick, construction netting, etc.). When I worked on tension grids I would lay out a drop cloth in my immediate area whenever possible to catch hardware I might inadvertently drop...
-- People working under you (no one should be working directly under you...) should know there are people working at Height in the space they are also working. No one should be surprised, ever. This might mean signs, a proctor of some kind, etc.; obviously hard hats. Communication is so essential in any and all work environments it should go at the top of any and every list.

Good luck.

Clip it to the tool of the moment, and if you need to switch tools, holster the first one and clip the coil to the second one. One lanyard for every tool.

NO. One lanyard for EACH tool taken into the air. Holstered tools can fall unless the holster is locking AND the user fully gets that they have to lock the tool into the holster before transferring the safety line to another tool. (the exception being the Ty-Flot Quick-Switch described by MNicholai). Limit the number of tools in the air to prevent tangles and reduce working weight. Just take what you need - leave the rest on the ground.

Hey guys,

So I have been advised by a professor of mine that if I find myself working over head in any union venue I will need to have a lanyard attached to all of my hand tools. I was wondering if this is a real rule that any of you have encountered, and if so how do you get around it?

Do I really need to buy one of these
https://www.pnta.com/scenic/tools/dirty-rigger-lanyard-with-single-carabiner/
for every tool I own, or can I just use some tie line and call it good?
As usual I ask because I am just trying to be prepared.
You don't get around this rule. It is great for you because your tools don't fall to the bottom of the ladder/scaffold, and it's essential for everyone beneath you. The only thing you can safely get around is the cost. Tie line, or any strong cord, and cheap carabiners, will do fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back