Laptop sound noise

Thread back from the dead. I just saw an announcement that Radial engineering has come up with a new direct box to reduce the laptop noise. So, if anyone happens to pick one up, it would be nice to know the results.

Thread back from the dead. I just saw an announcement that Radial engineering has come up with a new direct box to reduce the laptop noise. So, if anyone happens to pick one up, it would be nice to know the results.

Looks like just a passive DI with a permanent thin cable attached. Doesn't sound like a good idea. So what happens when the cable goes bad?

I have the Radial ProAv1 and love it. At first look, I can't see any benefit of the new DI box.

Newbie here but I have two old laptops, Asus brand. One power supply makes the terrible noise and one does not. In the same set up, other peoples' laptop supplies have made the terrible noise as well. Has anyone thought of checking the house power?

Two cents or less

Novo63

great posts though.

Admittedly, I'm not sure if anyone else might have suggested already, but are all the power outlets (receptacles) in your venue wired correctly? A simple test can relieve some headaches.

Check fluorecent usage?

Also, I have heard that weird problems with grounding can sometimes be avoided by choosing power for the sound system off the same side of the breaker box, if it is possible. I have never confirmed this notion however.

I ditched the laptop I was given, and now use my own Mac for this purpose... :)

Admittedly, I'm not sure if anyone else might have suggested already, but are all the power outlets (receptacles) in your venue wired correctly? A simple test can relieve some headaches.
A simple test may identify some wiring problems but others may require more advanced testing gear and/or greater effort. Not a bad idea to always check the power with something like IDEAL INDUSTRIES, INC. - E-Z Check® Circuit Testers, but a tool like IDEAL INDUSTRIES, INC. - SureTest® Circuit Analyzers can provide much more information for troubleshooting.

Also, I have heard that weird problems with grounding can sometimes be avoided by choosing power for the sound system off the same side of the breaker box, if it is possible. I have never confirmed this notion however.
http://www.middleatlantic.com/pdf/PowerPaper.pdf
http://www.surgex.com/pdf/PowerGround.pdf

Users who are viewing this thread

Back