large 3d tree

Sonotubes are concrete forms. They are cardboard cylinders that normally would be filled and then removed. Great for the base of tree trunks, columns, dock posts, masts, etc... Available at any big box store or lumber yard.

www.sonotube.com

They sell the tubes at HD and Lowes in 4ft lengths. You can order longer lengths from Sonotube directly, but the cost is NOT worth the length. I'll have to upload the pictures of the trees I made for my recent ITW production. I had 3 16' trees using the tubes, but cut in half. So 2 tubes per tree. I used the 16", 12" and 10" tubes covered in the brown paper (from HD). Cutting them in half allowed me to widen them slightly to make a larger tree from a smaller tube (that would depend on your sight lines). Definitely used fire retardant, since paper/cardboard/wood would be a nice effect (but only once).

Before they were covered in paper I was able to manage standing and controlling them myself (wouldn't recommend, but give you an idea of weight).

Thx for the info on sonotubes, Josh

Smaller diameter (~ 5") tubes are generally available from carpet dealers and are about 12'-14' long. I used some to make birch trees by cutting them open spreading them to about 6-7 1/2". Looked good when painted. Don't forget the fire retardant though...

I know I could look up sonotubes, but am new to this site and thought it would be fun to hear from someone who likes to use them. What are they? Any photos of what you make? Thx for replying.
Sonotubes are used by the construction industry to make round concrete columns. They are basicly a heavyweight paper tube.

Edit: I didn't realize the question asked fell at the end of the page.

They sell the tubes at HD and Lowes in 4ft lengths. You can order longer lengths from Sonotube directly, but the cost is NOT worth the length. I'll have to upload the pictures of the trees I made for my recent ITW production. I had 3 16' trees using the tubes, but cut in half. So 2 tubes per tree. I used the 16", 12" and 10" tubes covered in the brown paper (from HD). Cutting them in half allowed me to widen them slightly to make a larger tree from a smaller tube (that would depend on your sight lines). Definitely used fire retardant, since paper/cardboard/wood would be a nice effect (but only once).

Before they were covered in paper I was able to manage standing and controlling them myself (wouldn't recommend, but give you an idea of weight).

Thanks for the advice -- and the humor! All the best, Elizabeth

Smaller diameter (~ 5") tubes are generally available from carpet dealers and are about 12'-14' long. I used some to make birch trees by cutting them open spreading them to about 6-7 1/2". Looked good when painted. Don't forget the fire retardant though...
Thx for the feedback!

Last edited by a moderator:
Regarding longer paper tubes, try going to sign printers, carpet stores and paper plants. They will often have long cardboard rolls of different diameters and many are willing to give them to you for free.

I am currently tasked with designing the set for Arkansas Bear, which along with other things calls for a large tree on the set. We are wanting to make it to be 3 demensional (2d trees just don't look right) and it should be rather larger. I'm thinking it will be about 16 feet tall, with a trunk diameter of about 4 feet. The tree is the main component of the set, so we have most of the build to spend just on it. The tree also has to ''open up '' to create a prison for one of the characters, ( I'm actually not super worried about this part, I have an idea to make 2 branches tie him up). I have thought about using a 1x4 skeleton with chicken wire and spray foam, but I don't exactly know where to start when it comes to the spray foam. Does anyone have any other suggestions to create this? Or does anyone have any suggestions on where I should buy the spray foam\ how to go about getting it to work.
Thanks
I'd love to see your finished tree. Please post it!

Longtime lurker, new poster. This thread has been a terrific resource for me as we work on an absurdly quick production of Into the Woods. We're doing a combination of several of these techniques so my students will get to try their hand at a little of everything. The builder paper bark is looking really great...lots of texture to do interesting things with lights. Will let you know how it turns out. Thanks for being such a wonderful source of information!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back