Large PAR (46/56/64) lamps

The obnoxious band with a "reality" TV show insists on incandescent PAR fixtures for the drummer, in fact he likes the "bake until medium-well done" heat from them. I fired myself from doing their shows because... well, if I say it I could be sued... so.... I "just say no."

Last “Band” we had prior to closing for renovation, the Israeli LD, having specified all ML’s and LED Pars, wanted to use part of the house rig, those S4’s, but gave me a pained look when I asked him what colors - I.E. Gels. He’d never used gels. Had never seen a swatch book.

The obnoxious band with a "reality" TV show insists on incandescent PAR fixtures for the drummer, in fact he likes the "bake until medium-well done" heat from them. I fired myself from doing their shows because... well, if I say it I could be sued... so.... I "just say no."
Don't forget Kanye at Glastonbury. BTW, that light rig had 792 Pars.

Guess the times really are a-changing.

What are the commercial airliners using for aircraft landing lights currently and for the past one or two years?

Go here: https://www.aircraftspruce.com/categories/aircraft_parts/ap/menus/el/landinglights.html

While these people cater to general aviation primarily, the 46/56 that is in most commercial/militray aircraft will likely get solid state replacements.

Although... back when I was in the Navy, I saw a pile of 64WFLs that could have re-lamped every PAR-can from here to Mars. Twice.

I have been done with military service so long that they have probably used them all...

Hm, on a related note, looks like Uni-Par died.

FWIW, most of the lighting for War Horse was Pars. Paule Constable won a Tony for it.

Ah well... time marches on. Thanks, Mark, for the heads-up.
Same LD, Paulie, lit the current Les Miserables tour (and Broadway). Was the head on that tour for a year before I moved on but it has a rather large PAR rig. The entire backlight system is PAR64 as well as a ton of sidelight. She is all about color and intensity (only one gobo used).

I mean it’s les mis the set is the gobo IMO.

I wouldn’t even see the use for a hobo except for the water scenes.

TMB has a Mexico supplier for PAR 64 lamps in the works. First pallet of them on order is in theory on the way - months in waiting and perhaps months more to get - assuming they are even viable dependable lamps. Other than ANSI lamps they are making... still waiting on the first delivery and or reliability and seeing if other versions available or sustainable. Sorry to all but Philips, GE, Ushio, Eiko are also done with the lamp type. They also stopped making them years ago. GE/Corning made most of the lamps for the industry as most of learned when Corning shut down production for a few months - many years ago. Ushio and Eiko had different makers of the lamp, but could not compete in price to GE/corning so they were shut down years ago.

I apologize that I and others in the industry have been hopeful that Mark would get his lamps done in saving the PAR 64 industry, but once it was known such lamps were not viable, as it were... hoarding up all the lamps I could, and not selling them. At some point I work for a large buyer business and just bairly got out the door a huge user for their show this year! Moving up the chain of command is the realization that if the TMB source for the lamps does not work out - they will no longer be using at this point around a thousand fixtures amongst shows. Given this... one can understand me stocking my shelves first of course with what I could buy.

For my customers, I'm on an install this week where data cable is needed to install for a LED upgrade from PAR. And even on other quotes not likely to get, been warning customers to budget for the replacement of the PAR can for a few years now. Also posted this at CB as per best practice. TMB might provide a alternate lamp, but plan to replace your PAR lamps if only supplier. It is happening.

I mean it’s les mis the set is the gobo IMO.

I wouldn’t even see the use for a gobo except for the water scenes.

The last time I lit Les Mis (which I think was 2005), I used a ton of gobos; but mostly for aerial beamage through the haze. I believe I also used some breakups to overlay the barricade scenes and Rue Plumet. Most of them were very neutral colors -- R02, R60, etc.

Edit: I forgot, I also had multiple sewer grates as well as a bunch of windows that crossfaded as Eponine sang On My Own. She walked against the revolve, so various windows faded in and out to suggest different locations she was passing by.

Here are a few pictures I yoinked from my own Facebook. As I walk down memory lane.

/Hijack

Attachments

• LM1.jpg
    LM1.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 305
  • LM2.jpg
    LM2.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 316
  • LM3.jpg
    LM3.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 306
  • LM4.jpg
    LM4.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 296
I have seen vendors listing Ushio lamps, no idea if they've discontinued as well.

Does this mean ACLs as well are simply artifacts?

The airplane industry has been moving to LED in general aviation for a bit. I have a hobbyist's interest in it, but it appears there is a number of products geared toward retrofitting aircraft with LED landing lights. Of course, they don't much concern themselves with dimming so that doesn't help the Rock and Roll crowd.

Good excuse to replace with LED. Move on.

That said, is there a clear frontrunner in drop-in LED retrofits for PARs? I'm thinking about our orchestra shell lights. I doubt that a Source4 PAR would fit in there and because the dimming is non-essential for these fixtures I wouldn't mind not having to run a data cable for my shells.

The S4WRD par is my current favorite for shells. Will dim OK on a dimmer - some better on data.

Go easy on yourself and just put up wireless for the shell. Short line of sight distances. Probably pretty safe and oh so easy. Yes - will need one DMX line up high.

Only 30k. I figured the egg ran a full par rig :laughingface:

Got the bill today for the lamps. Have not got them yet in not paying yet, A question in customs or delivery time and Trump shutting down the boarder might stall the first batch of lamps further.

Last edited:
Only 30k. I figured the egg ran a full par rig :laughingface:
We only have 30 Par64's in the air, two systems of backlight. Still have a crap ton of stand/century 22xx's in the air... so if the FEL goes away we are in for some hurt.

What's the estimate on how long other incandescent lamps will last? Is this something to future proof against now? The church I do part time work for is old school and exclusively PAR lit. I'm wondering if it would be more prudent for them to invest in LED front wash. Is there even a ballpark on when the last HPL will be made?

Is there any more info on *why* the lamps were recalled? We just spent hundreds of dollars on lamps a few months ago and they're all subject to it. At this point, I don't even know where they all are. If the reason is "they burn out too quickly" I can deal with it. If the reason is "they explode" my reaction's going to be a bit different....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back