Las Vegas - Mandalay Bay Shooting

ruinexplorer

Sherpa
CB Mods
Premium Member
Fight Leukemia
My LV peeps are good as well. Thoughts and condolences to those injured or lost.

@ruinexplorer I'm glad to hear you are ok. I figured you were at work and it's a long way from where the action is, but it's still too close. Although I assume the rest of our Vegas friends are okay based on where they work and things, I look forward to reading that everyone's okay here.

With so many shots fired (may apparently fired at the stage area) and so many injured it seems likely that we had some brothers or sisters in the industry who were injured.

Our lighting tech is in LV on a freelance gig. He checked in and is ok. Another friend, who is a carp at O checked in and is ok. My bosses family is in Vegas and, thank goodness they have all checked in OK.

All okay at my household.
With so many shots fired (may apparently fired at the stage area) and so many injured it seems likely that we had some brothers or sisters in the industry who were injured.
Facebook reports that one IA Local 33 (LA) member was injured. Not sure why there were five 33 members working the event, as it's a non-union venue.

Last edited by a moderator:
Glad to hear you are safe bro.

Interesting that it is being reported that the automatic weapon fire set off the smoke alarm in his room, alerting the police.

Facebook reports that one IA Local 33 (LA) member was injured. Not sure why there were five 33 members working the event, as it's a non-union venue.

Could have been on a film/video crew or maybe was with the staging company...

It might be good for everyone to review their active shooter plans. I am including the article from last summer's Protocol.

Attachments

• Protocol_Summer2016_RunHideFight.pdf
    780.1 KB · Views: 27
With so many shots fired (may apparently fired at the stage area)
Just saw on the local news a plan view of the area. The Mandalay Bay hotel tower is behind and across the strip from the stage. The shooter was firing from extreme USL into the crowd.

proxy.php

The stage faces the Tropicana (north, top). Luxor is directly west (left in the above photo) of the festival grounds. Mandalay Bay is in the lower left corner, south of the Luxor.

Too soon:
"Heck of a way to express you're [sic] hated of country music."
"This wouldn't have happened if MGM hadn't started charging for parking."
"Deadliest mass shooting in U.S. History (sorry Wounded Knee, Indians don't count)."

@derekleffew is that the unfinished giant wheel in the center at the bottom of the picture?

is that the unfinished giant wheel in the center at the bottom of the picture?
Yes it is. Two ~100' ? sticks.

Update: All Las Vegas Cirque du Soleil performances cancelled for Monday, 10/02/17. Refunds available at point of purchase.

Yes it is. Two ~100' ? sticks. Update: All Las Vegas Cirque du Soleil performances cancelled for Monday, 10/02/17. Refunds available at point of purchase.

Good. I doubt many people are in the mood/state of mind to perform. I know I'm having a hard time getting anything done today and I'm 1,000 miles away.

I think this is the same lot they film American Ninja Warrior on.

I did some Google Street View research and was able to come up with an angle that shows the situation really clearly. Here's a link.

Photos on the news show the shooter's room was one of the last rooms to the right and therefore closest to the stage.

Maybe they're not getting enough work from the local to pay rent? Are they cardholders yet?

I don't know about you but I've found the media coverage really disjointed and at times difficult to just get the latest details. Our old friend Jim On Light has been doing a nice job of keeping all the information organized and updated in one place. You can check out his coverage here... then come back here to CB to discuss it ;).

It's been a hard day to focus and get work done. I'm happy all my CB buddies down there are okay. Looking forward to seeing you all at LDI. But it's so upsetting to deal with the idea that we work our whole lives to provide entertainment and joy to the audience and some psychopath can come along in a second and destroy it all. Turning a place of happiness into terror. Worst of all we can't control where it will happen next and there's very little we can do if it does happen. So I'm stuck teaching my high school tech kids what I want them to do if there is a shooting in the theater. We didn't talk about that when I was a high school tech.

I'm so tired of explaining to my middle school boys the latest horrible thing that has happened in the news.

Reactions: Rob
Two of my now married HS friends are both based there. Luckily he was out on the road... and she is in her residency in emergency medicine at University Medical Center in Vegas. She was finally able to post later today and has basically been working ever since this happened.

So, with that... I think it it totally possible to say that post 9/11 more people have been killed or injured attending concerts or other mass gatherings then have been killed by acts of terror in the skys. So, why are we paying 7.5 billion for TSA and leaving venue security up to the promoters whims and some 22 year kid in a security shirt?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back