Laser Projectors

Kotli512

Fairly new to spec-ing projectors, and the theater I work for is looking to possibly upgrade to laser projectors in the next few years. Our current projector is a Digital Projection Highlite 660 2K model. Our stage shot is typically 60-65', occasionally 30' with a wide throw lens onto our 40' cyc. Anyone have suggestions on how to start looking for stuff/ recommendations on models to explore?

Why the 2 different throw distances? Both front projection?

Here's 12k lumens for abt $13k including standard lense ... just a calibration point. I've had good luck with prof Epsons

L1505UHNL

I love epson projectors in general. I feel their color, brightness and accuracy to spec is better and more consistant than NEC or Panasonic.
But have you seen these in use?
In general I don't like laser projectors, but I've only used NEC and Panasonic.
For the record I didn't like the non-laser lamped NECs and Panasonics either.

I love epson projectors in general. I feel their color, brightness and accuracy to spec is better and more consistant than NEC or Panasonic.
But have you seen these in use?
In general I don't like laser projectors, but I've only used NEC and Panasonic.
For the record I didn't like the non-laser lamped NECs and Panasonics either.
Yes, installed one recently in a mid sized room for presentation and video conferencing. Room has full glass windows along one side. Projector at about 22' was bright enough at 50 pct intensity that it wasn't critical to close window treatments, as had been for the prior lapped $$$ unit. To be fair, I installed also a new SI screen with directional beading to help reject off-axis ambient light. Most scrims are going to gobble more lumens. But in this unit, there's still half the brightness scale unused.

Definitely worth seeing some projector either in your place (shoot out) or at dealer o4 trade shows to get calibrated.

I often suggest that you check you local rental house to see what they stock. That way it is easier to match if you need a second projector, plus if you need other lenses, those will also be easier to get.

I have looked at a lot of laser phosphor projectors lately. The only thing that I have noticed is that in some static images, a flicker can be detected. Not so in moving images. Of course, I train my eye to look for inconsistencies in images.

We have two Epson 1505s = laser/LCD technology. They are - when we bought them - the best bang for the bucks.
We use them together to give us a 3840x1080 'pixel space' across our back cyc curtain, which in reality gives us a ~64ft x 20ft wide image.
They look darn nice and have been mostly trouble free after many hours of operation, yet they have a quirk.

From my experience, yours might be different, matching projectors and blending them together *exactly* starts with being able to match projected WHITE.
With these Epson, everything we have tried to get the white to match, calibration, using their color tools, even sending one back to Epson,
we are unable to get the white to match perfectly and without that, you will never get them to match exactly.

That said, until someone comes up with a better looking or more powerful projector for $13K, they are the half the price of a Panasonic and look better.

Depending on how often you use it... renting a quality projector like a 4K Barco or the like may be the most economical.

Esp. if you can develop a good relationship with the local rental house...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back