Lasers

I was wondering what are good theatrical laser companies? as well laser preferences. I am just wanting to learn about the differences between each of them and how to control the different types since all the theaters where I have worked I never got to play with anything like them.

I would start here:
http://x-laser.us/
Also, I understand that there are lots of lasers for sale on ebay and other places that are not legal for use in the US.

I would start here:
http://x-laser.us/
Also, I understand that there are lots of lasers for sale on ebay and other places that are not legal for use in the US.

On that note, you need to get a variance for any laser over 5mW, no exceptions. If you bought, for example, a 1-watt Chinese laser, it is doubtful that it would be approved for a variance. So choose your equipment wisely. Also, every individual laser over 5mW needs to be listed on the variance. If you add or subtract equipment, you would need to amend the variance to reflect that. Same for changing addresses or company names.

In Texas, the Department of Radiological Health in Austin also needs paperwork to become certified, in addition to being informed of any upcoming laser show.
Each September, you need to send the FDA an "Annual Laser Show Report" detailing each show you've done using lasers over 5mW. If you use several lasers, they will each need to be accounted for in this report. Lots of red tape, as you can see!

You will need to train and appoint a Laser Safety Officer (LSO) as well.

I agree that X-Laser is a good place to start. Not only do they have some of the best products, they also have a very knowledgeable staff -- not only about their gear, but also the legalities you may face (there are 'laser police' and you can be fined for operating without a variance). Dan Goldsmith at X-Laser has always been a big help for me, and I believe sits on the board of laser safety. They also have an Ez-Variance Kit that takes a bit of the sting out of the mountain of paperwork that is applying for the variance. I think there is a catch that it has to be for X-Laser products (or something like that).

I would also read up on things like clearances/distances (I believe beams need to be at least 5 meters above the audience's head), E-stops, and beam stops (beam termination).

To answer your original question; most of my experience is with X-Laser products in conjunction with a program called Pangolin QuickShow with an FB3 (USB interface). It is a very simplified and basic laser control software solution, but it can at least get you going. There are much more sophisticated solutions out there (including hands-on control using MIDI interfaces and the like) but it depends, like most things, on how much money you want to spend. I don't have much experience with the above, so I can't really speak to that. Unless you really need some customization, Pangolin QuickShow will probably get you by for most things. Pangolin LD2000 and Beyond would get you more in to the professional control space.

To summarize: to really do laser shows correctly, and legally; a lot of money, paperwork, and hoop-jumping is required. I honestly wouldn't consider it unless you really need the effects or know it will somehow bring in more money. If you just want the experience, I'd try to find a free-lance laserist. Much like pyrotechnics, there are a whole bunch of guys who do it as either a serious hobby or maybe even a full-time job (though probably rare). There are various forums like this one where they all seem hang out. Of the ones I've met and worked with, they're usually pretty cool and willing to take on some additional help (though they may pay you in sandwiches). Just be sure to get involved with someone who does things legitimately.

I'm not sure where you are in Texas, but I know a freelancer down in Austin who is pretty cool to work with, and has some neat 15-watt full-color lasers and MIDI control (driven by Beyond or LD2000, I believe).

Last edited:
Reactions: Les

Users who are viewing this thread

Back