Laying a Marley dance floor

Schniapereli

My high school is doing a rental for this ballet company that wants to come in and perform on our stage, and they want to bring their marley floor, but they usually have someone else install it. For their show at our school, that person would be me, but I have never really done it.
I heard there are some tricks to it, like leaving it out over night so that it flattens out, or something like that, and that you use gaff tape on the SL and SR edges, but use marley tape on the seams of the long strips. Aside from that, I assume you just line them up, and work your way back.
Is this correct?
Any comments on technique or tape used?

That's pretty much all there is to it. Leaving it out over night to settle is great if you have that option. The biggest issue there is if it's comming off a cold truck and into a warm theater it will need time to expand. Most times there just isn't enough time to allow for this luxury. To compensate for this timeline discrepency most folks will leave about an 1/8" gap between sections. It is, as you stated, best to start downstage and work your way up. I also prefer to apply the vinyl seam tape from the same direction every time. If you start the first seam on SL moving to SR do all the seams from SL to SR. Its is also very important not to stretch the vinyl tape as you are applying it. Pull 2-3 feet off the roll, let it contract for a second then apply it to the seam. be sure to leave your hand or foot on the area you've just applied when you're pulling the next section off the roll so you aren't stretching out or pulling off the section you've just applied.
Hope that helps.

There is nothing worse then laying a marley at 6am when it has been sitting in a truck since 10pm the night before in the middle of december.

Personally, I prefer to use gaff for everything. I know some people don't like that, but my wife approves of it and she has been dancing for a good amount of time.

Your going to need more then just you to lay this thing out. I have done it with 3 people, but 4 is preferable. My methods go like this...

1. unroll each roll upstage in a stack. Let that sit over night. If you can't do that because its showing up same day... deal with it.
  2. Move the first sheet DS. Line it up with a strait line. This first row has to be perfectly square. Lay a chalk line if you have to.
  3. Seal one end. To do this, I usually do 3 or 4 strips of gaff going SL/SR then another piece going upstage/downstage. That will seal it to the floor. DON'T DO BOTH ENDS.
  4. Starting at the end you have sealed, have people "stomp" out the floor. My usual method for doing this is have one person stand on the sealed end, one person go down to the other end and pull, and the other two hop down the row towards the non sealed end. It is emparive that they hop together. This will stretch the marley and allow it to lay flat. If you still have bubbles, stomp it out again.
  5. Seal the other end.
  6. Tape both sides of the upstage/downstage side down to the floor.
  7. Bring in the next row and line it up with the seam.
  8. Repeat all steps.
I prefer to always stomp from one side to the other. Just works better for me. Depending on the quality and the care of the marley, little to no stomping might be needed. I have stomped out some marleys for an afternoon to try to get them to lay flat. Just depends. Be certain when you go to roll it up that it gets rolled square. Nothing destroys a floor faster then being put away wrong.

I've worked more than a few shows where we installed marley and we did it pretty much exactly as Footer explained.

Interestingly, at least to me, we also had to "coke" the floor a couple times. If it was too slick for the dancers, they'd have us wet mop it with watered down Coke to give it a little stick.

As you can see, different techs and different dance companies have different preferences. This can also be influence by the type and quality of the floor.

Let me add a few things:

-ALWAYS sweep really well before laying the floor. Teeny-tiny specs can pit and damage the marley, and if you get dust on the bottom of the marley, there's almost no opportunity to get it off again.

-Likewise, ALWAYS sweep really well before rolling it back up. Dust on the top will become dust on the bottom and. . .

-The stomping method above is perfect for older, stiffer, thicker floors. Some floor simply need to be taped at one end and gently pulled, then taped at the other. If it'll lay wrinkle-free without stomping, don't do it, as you may stretch it.

-Some prefer gaff tape for seams, some vinyl dance floor tape. My company liked gaff.

-Some people layout and stretch two adjacsent panels, leaving about 3/8" gap in between. Then you run a length of tape centered down the seam. Next use your thumb (some use a broom handle) to press the tape down to the stage floor in the 3/8" gap. Some dances don't like the gap--then you tape one piece down along both edges, bring the next one up to the edge (leave at least 1/8" for expansion) then tape the second piece to the first.

-I often liked to lay out all the pieces roughly, then turn on all the stage lights for a while (often over lunch) to try to get everything warm enough to stretch. We had a finicky old floor, and some bad experiences with bubbles forming as it heated under show lighting.

-I have met companies with all ranges of fussiness about the floor-seams, bubbles, slickness, etc. If they're trusting strangers, hopefully they're relaxed.

Nicholas Kargel
You Want What? Productions INC
scenic and lighting design and construction in Denver, CO

www.youwantwhatproductions.com

Oh, and a great cleaning trick is to dampen a big towel and clip it around a dust mop (towel mopping). You've probably done that. The trick part is to pierce the lid of a bottle of isopropyl alcohol and have someone squirt it lightly in front of you as you push the mop. About 1/2 a bottle does the floor. This picks up dust and oils--both big contributers to slipperiness.

...4. Starting at the end you have sealed, have people "stomp" out the floor. My usual method for doing this is have one person stand on the sealed end, one person go down to the other end and pull, and the other two hop down the row towards the non sealed end. It is imperative that they hop together. This will stretch the marley and allow it to lay flat. If you still have bubbles, stomp it out again. ...
Also known as the "Marley hop" or "dance floor shuffle.":dance:

It seems rather odd to me, Schniapereli, that a company would own a portable vinyl dance floor and not have someone to supervise its installation. As has been said, everyone has his own methods and tricks. It's one of those simple things that can become almost ludicrous when a bunch of stagehands get together and argue about the best way to do it. For example:
...Personally, I prefer to use gaff for everything. I know some people don't like that, but my wife approves of it and she has been dancing for a good amount of time. ...
...-Some prefer gaff tape for seams, some vinyl dance floor tape. My company liked gaff. ...
The one advantage I see to using gaffers tape is only having to stock one type of tape. Vinyl dance floor tape is less expensive and more closely matches the texture and color of the vinyl floor. Depending on the size of the stage/floor, it can take 4-8 rolls of tape, so the cost adds up quickly.

See also http://www.controlbooth.com/forums/scenery/14556-gizmo-day.html and http://www.controlbooth.com/forums/scenery/8546-marley-transportation.html.

Last edited:
There is a dance company within our school and we use Marley floor every time they have a recital or concert (about three a year).

We don't really have to worry about the temperature difference so we usually have no problem, however, when we do we will just lower the electrics quickly and turn up the lights to full for an hour. We only do this when we absolutely need it though.

What we do is start at the bottom and make sure we have the first set up straight and perfect. We then build off that. Before taping down we go through and pull each floor segment tight and go over to get the bubbles out. Before taping we check to make sure that none of the segments have come out of alignment during the "de-bubbling" process. We use "Marley tape" (I am not sure if that is the name for it or not) and only gaff when we have run out of the "marley" tape. We tape everything to the ground to avoid any catastrophes involving the Marley floor coming up. This has put us in a bind one or two times leaving us out of tape and I often find myself digging through the trash to try and salvage some tape.

There is a dance company within our school and we use Marley floor every time they have a recital or concert (about three a year).

We don't really have to worry about the temperature difference so we usually have no problem, however, when we do we will just lower the electrics quickly and turn up the lights to full for an hour.

Be careful, though. If you have the lights within a few feet they can get the marley too hot and create a permanent bubble.

I was about to suggest using lights as warmers. Usually a few scoops at medium height for a bit will warm up the floor, and make it easier to work with.

I have only used gaff before and have not had any complaints. Most of the companies I have seen coming into our theater also are gaff folk, though I am sure just as many out there are marley tapers, and a few people out there use some completely alien method that would inspire a combination of awe and doubt in all of us. Just make sure you know what color their floor is before you count on gaff as a solution.

Interestingly, at least to me, we also had to "coke" the floor a couple times. If it was too slick for the dancers, they'd have us wet mop it with watered down Coke to give it a little stick.

Coke? Really? I guess that makes sense... What was the coke to water ratio on that? Do you put some coke in the mop bucket and mop as usual?

You've captured my interest.

I've found that 1 liter of coke to 1 mop bucket full of clean water is usually sufficient. A lot of Ballet companies TD's will hae their own precise recipe', however.
Of course for a long running show you have to mop the floor with clean water on a regular schedule, then re-coke after cleaning. It's silly, but hey, if it keeps the dancers from breaking their necks it's worth it.

Now if we could just keep them from tripping over lines on the floor-plan.

Coke? Really? I guess that makes sense... What was the coke to water ratio on that? Do you put some coke in the mop bucket and mop as usual?

You've captured my interest.
Before you go coking a floor, make sure you check with the dance company first.

I've found that 1 liter of coke to 1 mop bucket full of clean water is usually sufficient. A lot of Ballet companies TD's will hae their own precise recipe', however.
Of course for a long running show you have to mop the floor with clean water on a regular schedule, then re-coke after cleaning. It's silly, but hey, if it keeps the dancers from breaking their necks it's worth it.

Now if we could just keep them from tripping over lines on the floor-plan.

As long as its not Rosin... I will do whatever it takes. I HATE rosin.

I don't know how it started exactly, but I hate rosin boxes. Truly abhor them. seem like every time I get hooked up with a dance company I wind up making a ton of Rosin boxes. How do you break a rosin box ? How do you lose a rosin box ? Why do I need to build 6 more ?

Can you tell ? I hat rosin boxes ?

I don't know how it started exactly, but I hate rosin boxes. Truly abhor them. seem like every time I get hooked up with a dance company I wind up making a ton of Rosin boxes. How do you break a rosin box ? How do you lose a rosin box ? Why do I need to build 6 more ?

Can you tell ? I hat rosin boxes ?

I have made my fair share as well. That and apple boxes.

My personal hatred... folding chairs. It seams like they reproduce like rabbits in every theatre I work in.

Can you tell ? I hate rosin boxes ?

I've had mine for over 10 years now, never rebuilt. I put in pink rope light so that they glow in the back wings. Dancers just love that pink glow. My rosin boxes are also the "lost and found" places for dancer crap left in the wings (next to, not in them)

I too find it funny that a ballet company would own a dance floor but then "have someone else install it" on tours, that just makes no sence. Do they deliver it, or have it shipped? Does someone else do their lighting everywhere too? Or is this just a dance studio doing a recital in your space...that makes more sence to me.

I do not like the "marley hop" as every time you're in the air it will shrink back and you loose your stretching, I am a strict "Marley stomp" of 3 or 4 people across, preferably with a person pulling on the end as well. There are thinner floors that do not need much stretching, but mine has a bit of foam backing on the underside that makes it thicker. Type of tape depends on type and color of floor. I have used both clear vinyl, black and grey gaff on my floors.

About "coking" a floor.....the floor is dead if it's come to that. I know many people do it, I've done it on rare occaions. But it should not be a regular thing. If a dance troope is requesting it alot, it's time for a new floor. A touring Marley dance floor is lucky if it lasts more than 10 years. Also, be polite to dancers about rosin use. On tours for Nutcracker I see almost every place, young dancers that I can trace their footsteps for "miles" Often times they just need to be told how to rosin correctly.

Kenneth Pogin
Production / Tour Manager
Minnesota Ballet

Most of the marley I've seen laid was with gaffe tape, occasionally a Broadway show or a rock concert will come in with painted marley and tape it with clear tape (one roadie was getting grief from the home office about how much tape he was going through - apparently, they thought he should be able to reuse it...).

A few companies double tape their floor, taping the upstage edge of a roll to the floor, and then laying the next roll and taping its downstage edge to the first piece. This seems a bit overkill to me, but it makes them happy, and they're the ones buying the tape.

I ran into one company that didn't want to see any tape on top, so they'd have us roll out a piece, flip the upstage edge over, roll the next one out upside down, tape the two bottom edges together, and curl it upstage, ready for the next upside down piece. I don't recall how they dealt with de-bubbling it once it was effectively one big piece.

And then there was the company that had us lay two floors down, so we could take up one during an intermission, giving them a black floor in act one, and a white floor in act two, resetting the black floor after the show every night.... :rolleyes:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back