LDI 2010: FREE Things to do.

Footer

Senior Team
Senior Team
Premium Member
Every year we get a barrage of free things to do at LDI, so if you heard about it or want to promote it, please post it here. This is not the place to advertise your paid class, only free events open to the general public please!

PRG is offering free Chamsys training as well as Archaos training. One of the guys teaching the Chamsys training is my "go to" guy when it comes to Chamsys (And he answers his phone on weekends too!).

Attachments

• Arkaos Training Invitation LDI 2010.pdf
    509.8 KB · Views: 20
  • ChamSys Training LDI 2010.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 12
Great idea, Footer!

The opportunity to work with Spotlight architectural lighting fixtures and Multiform LED fixtures remains a constant opportunity at the Apollo booth #1412. The Apollo booth will utilize a centrally located white-surface closet area which offers projection surfaces from a wide range of lighting fixtures. KC Hooper, Rich Dale, Jeff Mateer and I will answer product questions as you get your hands on many Apollo toys including:

Apollo Right Arm with DMX Iris
Apollo MXR color mixing scroller
Apollo Smart Color PRO scroller family (3 sizes)
Spotlight Architectural family of fixtures
Multiform 1009 and 1018 LED fixtures
and don't miss the
Apollo 7700 word M size glass gobo (yeah really!)

This smorgasbord of lighting equipment will be placed at hands-on work stations and we welcome you to try them out!

Last edited:
So we've got Kelite in the Apollo Booth.

JFleenor in the Doug Fleenor Booth.

In the ETC booth there's SteveTerry, Lafalot, and SClausenETC (I'm probably missing a person or two).

Are there any other CB members who will be exhibitors at the show that we should look for?

Last edited:
Well let's see...
baxtercontrols will probably have a booth and may be cooking something with par cans.
Schraff from Production Advantage
mdudgeon used to be with Wybron, but is now with Prism/REVeal.
ReddyKilowatt is still with Wybron, as far as I know.
PeteEngel from Robert-Juliat
I can't remember our token member from Rosco. Used to be Ame, but as I recall she got transferred.
rschwimmer appears to have Strand-ed us.
You missed a cheeseload of ETC people.

Feel free to berate any/all of the above people for not posting enough on CB.:)

Last edited:
Sounds like I need to bug a few of my friends from other manufacturers to join us.

I did see that 4Wall Entertainment will be having their Industry Party. You can sign up on their Facebook page.

Last edited:
Oh no it's the Swinging Johnsons again! Two years ago they got me into all kinds of trouble with Derek for keeping dvsDave out past curfew!

[-]There was a Lobster dinner, a long walk on the strip looking at the fountains and pretty lights, the Swinging Johnsons were great, it was a magical evening...[/-]

:oops:

Uh I mean. The Swinging Johnsons Rock!

Last edited:
Problem is, I can't go to any. I get invited, but it always conflicts with work.:cry:

So the facebook page says that it's tradition to be a 4Wall industry party. It also looks like you can just show up. But 2 years ago the Johnsons were playing at the Barbizon industry party. Can anyone explain this?

By the way, for those who don't know the Swinging Johnsons are an odd collection of well known industry pros who get together to play at LDI. It's a good time.

It was a fun party. The band was great.

A curfew? really? Sigh....

So the facebook page says that it's tradition to be a 4Wall industry party. It also looks like you can just show up. But 2 years ago the Johnsons were playing at the Barbizon industry party. Can anyone explain this?

By the way, for those who don't know the Swinging Johnsons are an odd collection of well known industry pros who get together to play at LDI. It's a good time.

I know that Thommy Hall used to be with Barbizon (been a few years now that he's been with Vari-lite though). I think that one or two of them might have other connections to 4Wall though (Thommy was hanging out with them at NAB, which is when I found out that Scott Church was with them now). I love going to LDI and seeing where my old acquaintances are now.

... the Swinging Johnsons are an odd collection of well known industry pros who get together to play at LDI.

I recall playing the bongo drums with an 'eclectic assortment' of industry folks back at the Showbiz Expo in San Diego in the 1990's. Thommy was with Hawaii Stage at the time, several High End guys including Bruce Jordahl played, and Charlie Malings (then with CW Productions) was there to boot!

Good times-

One more: TMB invites you to our Demo Suite (N203) for free personalized in-depth demos and training on Avolites, Hippotizer, Kinesys, Parrot, and more! Refreshments will be provided!

The suite will be open throughout, during show hours. Everyone is welcome! TMB and manufacturer product experts will be on hand to show you the latest hardware, software, upgrades, and applications.

Or they also have some classes for a fee:
TMB TRAINING | Training

Last edited:
OSRAM is also hosting a free educational seminar with Dr. John Selverian, Research & Development Staff Scientist for Solid State Lighting on Saturday, October 23rd, 1:30-3 p.m. in room N117 (LDI exhibition floor level).

The presentation, Color in Light, details the ways that spectrum, CRI and color temperature relate to what the eye and camera sees. During the presentation,
Dr. Selverian will demonstrate the OSRAM ColorCalculator, a software program that aids lighting professionals in developing color mixing LED lighting solutions, estimates the photometric performance of color mixing schemes and calculates the best combinations of LEDs or other light sources based on a project’s requirements.

Presentation attendees will receive one $10 iTunes® gift card (supplies limited) and will be entered to win an iPod touch®.

Various aspects of color quality, color spectrum and color stability will be described in detail. Special emphasis will be given to LEDs (mixing of pure colors) and LEDs with remote phosphor technology. The OSRAM SYLVANIA ColorCalculator will be demonstrated using a variety of light source and colored filter data. This session will also review how the ColorCalculator was used to design the OSRAM KREIOS®<http://www.sylvania.com/AboutUs/Pressxpress/Tradeshowevents/LDI2008/KREIOS.htm> LEDs for entertainment.

The presentation will be led by Dr. John Selverian, Research & Development Scientist, Solid State Lighting at OSRAM SYLVANIA. John has a 20 year history in the areas of modeling, simulation, design optimization and lamp fabrication and has worked extensively in developing LED solutions for entertainment lighting.

Roadie-palooza on 10/20/10.

Well let's see...
rschwimmer appears to have Strand-ed us.
Feel free to berate any/all of the above people for not posting enough on CB.:)

Randy is no longer in tech support for Strand, he is now the project manager for the western US region.
There are a few of us who monitor this and other forums now.
Featured at LDI will be bharrell and pborchetta

Users who are viewing this thread

Back