LDI 2017. Gaff's full report

gafftaper

Senior Team
Senior Team
Fight Leukemia
Well another LDI has come and gone. As always, the best part of the convention is seeing old friends and making new ones. It was so great to see you: Dave, Derek, Brett, Eric, Keith, the other Dave, Mark, Janelle, Doug, Victor, Caroline, Ford, Ben, Quan, Patrick, Bob, Liam, John… I could be here all night just dropping names of CB friends that it was great to catch up with, my apologies to those I missed, but that list is a very long one… and CW, John C, and Ethan you were missed! If you have never attended one of the conventions, I encourage you to do so. When you do attend, where your CB membership proudly, join the meetups, the chats, and talk to people who are CB members and get to know them. There are some really amazing people around here who are even more cool to hang out with in real life!

So, the show itself! It was definitely a big one. It’s hard to explain just how big that exhibit hall is. If you skip the random Chinese knockoff booths, and only focus on major dealers and products you are realistically going to be interested in, it’s still going to take you most of two days to really talk to the dealers, watch the demos, and play with the gear. I think there were 8 or 9 booths with cool light shows that you have to plan to go back at the right time to have a good view and watch the show. And to top it all off, when the show ends, there’s LDI outside where there’s a huge stage and concert light show going on… dinner with friends, and even free priority admission into some amazing ultra-lounges. Oh yeah and it’s Vegas so you know there are shows, gambling, and late nights doing whatever stays in Vegas (In my case the greatest excess was having an old lady trying to force feed me, @GreyWyvern, and @Kelite meatloaf… but that’s a story for another day).

So let’s talk about those cool light shows. Chauvet, Elation, ADJ, GLP, Robe, High End, and several others put on cool light shows in their booths. The highlights for me this year were: The Chauvet Booth because our old CB buddy @pie4weble programmed it. The Robe booth because they had a dancer in a “mirror ball” suit dancing and then they hit him with tons of light. But the best was the GLP (German Light Products) booth. For the last couple years GLP has been doing this thing where you go into a giant “tent” in their booth that’s completely dark and then they do a full show for you. This year they were focused a lot on their new strobe light and they actually gave you sunglasses on the way in, which was an awesome publicity stunt. It was so bright in there, that I actually forgot I had the sunglasses on! I attempted to shoot video of it with my poor phone, the video isn’t the best, but it should give you the idea that it was freakin amazing! Be sure you watch for the light up fans about half way through. These sort of light shows happen all over the convention hall about every half hour and are always amazing.

The GLP light show... sorry it isn't very good, but you get the idea:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Some booths are always just really fun and an event not to be missed. For example, what will be the gag product from Fleenor this year? Well they had remote control tanks with needles on the end. The goal was to pop your opponent’s balloon before they pop yours, and the tanks of course were driven by DMX! One on an EOS, one on an AVO.
IMG_20171117_103603.jpg
Next you have to make sure you stop by The Baxter Controls: Pocket Console DMX booth about half way through the day for some fantastic BBQ cooked on their PAR-becue. It’s always delicious from the world famous “Salt Lick”.
IMG_20171117_145008.jpg
Then there’s the crazy minds at ModTruss and Blizzard. They have been teaming up for three years now with booths. First it was the giant claw machine. Last year it was life size Rock em Sock em Robots. This year it was a playable 25’+ tall Qbert video game tower.
IMG_20171117_115421.jpg

Of course, you always want to get in and get nerdy over the latest gear and LDI never disappoints. Some of my favorite products were:

-The ETC Colorsource Cyc. My impression of it was it’s an amazing product for a ground row. If you are looking for a top and bottom cyc solution, I would put this at the top of your list to consider. It’s not going to be great for tall cycs, but for 20 footers it should be fine. I shot a video of the demo, look for it to be posted soon.

-Chauvet’s got a nice new LED follow spot and really nice collection of LED Fresnels in 8 models. Some are color changing, some are white only with color temperature adjustment. The lenses are great, the light looks like a true Fresnel. If an LED Fresnel makes sense to you, I give this new collection a big thumbs up. Here's a video of the new additions to the Ovation product line with our friend @Ben Dickmann

-Strong is playing around with the idea of completely redesigning the follow spot. They had a couple of prototypes on display that they are playing around with and they wanted to get opinions. One had a touchpad control and it didn’t really make much sense. But this one with the controls on the hand grips was great looking. It’s essentially a big mover with the option of manual or DMX controls. Zoom, fade, shutter, color all can be controlled by easily reachable finger controls or remotely by DMX from the console, leaving only pan and tilt to the operator. A very cool idea and I really liked the feel of operating it. It just felt much more natural than sideways position, and it was easier having all the controls at your fingertips. I hope they keep working on this idea.
IMG_20171117_141715.jpg IMG_20171117_141723.jpg

-In the cool widget everyone needs category: it’s the ModTruss magnetic cable clamps. Trying you need to run a bundle of power cables past a doorway. If only you had a set of super strong neodymium magnets with cable clamps attached, able to hold 70lbs. I’m not sure what the actual product name is yet and it’s not on their website, but VERY cool. It’ll be in the ModTruss video posted soon.
IMG_20171118_143910.jpg

-And the one thing I left saying I have to get for my space… Chauvet H-605FC, an RGBAL LED House Light. Sixty 3 watt LED emitters. It can be batten mounted or pendant hung. I’m really interested in adding in about a half dozen to my house. Hang them in my catwalks and I’ve got tons of instant color for setting the mood in the house.

Then there are the conference sessions. I didn’t make it to any this year, I was too busy trying to cover the show floor representing CB and finding the good stuff to show you without dvsDave. But I have always found the sessions stimulating and challenging. I’ve always found the speakers great and one point during the weekend, I found myself telling @Kelite about some things I learned in a conference session two or three years ago.

Outside the convention hall is a large parking lot. In that lot they set up a full size professional concert stage. This is a multi-million dollar stage that could go out on tour with a major artist. This show is special because the booth is open to you to go in and talk to the technicians. There’s a partial barrier there keeping you behind the gear, but hang around a bit and someone will come talk to you and if there’s something you want to know they will take you in to talk with the people running the equipment and show you how it’s done.

It was a spectacular show and great to talk with people about it. One night ER Productions set the world record for the most lasers used in a show, OVER 300!!! I missed the show, but this video I found online is incredible and I really wish I had been there!

So another great LDI in the books. I encourage everyone to save a few bucks up and join us there in the future.

Thanks for the rundown Gaff. One day I need to make it to one of these from the Great White North...

Great report @gafftaper and great catching up again! Did you really have to post the video of my ugly mug though??? LOL.

Thanks for the rundown Gaff. One day I need to make it to one of these from the Great White North...
You really do Sean (or am I talking to Kate :)), it's both a lot of fun, and really interesting. I think USITT is better if you are really wanting to develop your skills as a technician. LDI is better if you want to get down with all the latest gear. Next year LDI will be October 15-21, 2018 with the main sessions and exhibit hall on the 19-21. So it'll even be nice and warm to thaw yourself out a bit.

Fantastic Job Gaff! Thanks for the run down... I have one geeky question on those fans in the GLP exhibit. were they speeding up, slowing down and reversing them with the strobe effect or were the motors actually reversing that quickly ? Fantastic light show; would have loved to see it!

Very nice report. If I’m still in the West by Oct I will be going for sure. I’m still bummed I took work that same week. It would of been a blast.

Fantastic Job Gaff! Thanks for the run down... I have one geeky question on those fans in the GLP exhibit. were they speeding up, slowing down and reversing them with the strobe effect or were the motors actually reversing that quickly ? Fantastic light show; would have loved to see it!

I didn't get close enough to know for sure, but my guess is it was the result of the strobe, and not the motor reversing. From what I saw the fans are fairly light weight and I doubt could handle the change that fast, but maybe.

@dvsDave what do you think?

It doesn't look like the fans are actually moving that quickly while changing directions. It wouldn't surprise me if they're actually changing directions.

I didn't get close enough to know for sure, but my guess is it was the result of the strobe, and not the motor reversing. From what I saw the fans are fairly light weight and I doubt could handle the change that fast, but maybe.

@dvsDave what do you think?

I think they did both. I was watching those closely and I think they used both the Stroboscopic Effect (a.k.a the wagon-wheel effect), and actually varied the speed and direction of the fans. There was an atmospheric effect (haze or fog) during the presentation and I was watching the fans interact with it, and I swear I saw it both push and pull the haze/fog at different times. I was impressed with the sheer range of effects you could achieve with the units. A simple idea, executed in a controlled, repeatable way.

Thank you. I feel like I got to see part of the show. Be it .1%.
I can' wait to go learn all the new gear out there.

Thank you, GaffTaper. You're post-show highlight threads are valuable to those not in attendance as well as those of us working our booths throughout the three day show.

Your product descriptions, perceived market direction and general good-guy-ness is SO very appreciated.

Thank you for all you do-

Thank you, GaffTaper. You're post-show highlight threads are valuable to those not in attendance as well as those of us working our booths throughout the three day show.
Your product descriptions, perceived market direction and general good-guy-ness is SO very appreciated. Thank you for all you do-
...and thank you for encouraging me to not eat all the meatloaf.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back