LDI 2018, Day 1

dvsDave

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Senior Team
CB Mods
Fight Leukemia
At the Chauvet booth first, a great light show programmed by Cody James from JDI Productions.

A great booth. Check out the crazy speakers up in the rig too!

IMG_20181019_111910.jpg IMG_20181019_112225.jpg

Check out ROBE, their booth looks incredible. The show runs at the top of the hour
IMG_20181019_112553.jpg

Playing with ROBE's remote follow spot system.

IMG_20181019_113235.jpg

Every Year, there's some ridiculous new amazing Demo. This year it's a company called Verity doing a Drones light show. We'll get a better video later, but here are a couple pictures. Demos every 90 minutes. Booth 2175. IMG_20181019_130745.jpgIMG_20181019_130918.jpg

Crazy resolution at Apollo. 27mm-ish glass gobo projected through their new gobopro+

IMG_20181019_135207.jpg

IMG_20181019_135234.jpg

Last edited:
Etc has an interesting prodigy lift. The motor is on the batten

Rosco has a new (to me ) line of diffusion filters. They also have an LED fixture with a phosphor red and amber. The amber is quite nice.

I was told but have not been by yet that Altman has a white LED fixture that runs on mains power and dimes nicely.

that looks pretty awesome!
@dvsDave and I liked the feel of the grips, but the way it tracked was a bit odd. The feel of the controls was better than PRG Ground Control, but the tilt function was a bit odd to get used to. We both remain big fans of SpoTrack. Old stage hands may not like using a mouse to control a spot. But anyone who grew up gaming will be perfectly at home running SpoTrack.

High End has some great stuff for Live Events as usual. The Turbo Ray (name might not be right) is really cool. Has motorized diffusers on the front that are designed to be edge lit and a 460W LED engine behind it. It has a gobo wheel, but can also do some break ups with just the LED engine by turning specific LEDs off and can do split color in engine as well. Think like a Showpix, but useful as a moving light too.

Drone stuff was cool. I had a decent conversation with one of the engineers. It's indoor only and not quite as smart as the stuff Intel had at CES, but does communicate back and forth with the control system. 1W RGBW LED on the bottom of each drone. Currently the lighting is precanned animations, but they assured me wireless control from a lighting console would be coming soon. He also said there was no reason you couldn't put something like a Blacktrax beacon on a performer and have a drone keep-out region that was updated live with the artist's movement. The application just hasn't come up yet.

There was another booth setting up an 8 rotor drone during load in Tuesday, but I didn't see them on the floor today. Looked big enough to carry a decent camera or a small battery powered light.

ETC is showing their new moving light, the Relevé. It's up on their website too. Looks slick, with some very ETC-style elements. I don't want to mis-post the MSRP, but it sounded very reasonable when I spoke with them.

@dvsDave and I liked the feel of the grips, but the way it tracked was a bit odd. The feel of the controls was better than PRG Ground Control, but the tilt function was a bit odd to get used to. We both remain big fans of SpoTrack. Old stage hands may not like using a mouse to control a spot. But anyone who grew up gaming will be perfectly at home running SpoTrack.
Thank goodness that the new generation coming into the industry ARE gamers. I'd like to start pulling together a demo of the different spot tracking programs at some point here. Who else would be interested in seeing demos within the Northeast sector?

High End has some great stuff for Live Events as usual. The Turbo Ray (name might not be right) is really cool. Has motorized diffusers on the front that are designed to be edge lit and a 460W LED engine behind it. It has a gobo wheel, but can also do some break ups with just the LED engine by turning specific LEDs off and can do split color in engine as well. Think like a Showpix, but useful as a moving light too.

The likeness of the VL5/500 just won't die! I have always loved the look of that fixture. One of the only ones where I want the lens to be visible to the audience. A little nervous about what the MSRP will be, though.

hestr.jpg

ETC is showing their new moving light, the Relevé. It's up on their website too. Looks slick, with some very ETC-style elements. I don't want to mis-post the MSRP, but it sounded very reasonable when I spoke with them.

List was quoted to me as “1 penny less than $7,000”

The target was around $7000-8000 to compete with counterweight, but I believe capacity is in the 600-800 pound range. Not sure where these ended up.

PS: on their site.

Salesman said 500 lb. ( motor and pipe does not count toward that capacity)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back