LDI 2018, Day 1

I would like to report something, but I spent the day in meetings. If you have questions about projection, I might be able to get you some info.

Check out modscenes.com. I wasn't initially impressed until I talked to them. They make lightweight scenic pieces out of PVC. Easy to build, they rent, and they do custom pieces like logos. I could see a huge use in churches or small clubs. It's a neat product, and the prices seemed affordable.

7C722D26-E85B-47EF-A19B-CDB198561566.jpeg Interesting part of the Releve was how ETC designed it somewhat compartmentalized. They had it mind that these would be owned by people who did not have staff to maintain them, so certain component swaps are easily explained over the phone.

The Blizzard acid trip demo is pretty cool. They have a Wonkaville themed booth and ride you into their booth on a Wonka boat, then LED 2.9mm LED screens drop and box you in, transporting you down the river of chocolate with video for 3-4 minutes until the whole LED screen appraratus flies out. Modtruss is in their booth too and has an interesting VR experience for assembling truss and LED screens. Very Minecrafty.

Last edited:
I had a hard time getting Blizzard to talk to me- what's the story on the VR program? Strictly for training?

I had a hard time getting Blizzard to talk to me- what's the story on the VR program? Strictly for training?

Lord no. Just a novelty. Maybe to mess around with stage concept ideas during design?

Thank God for American DJ. Doing the Lord’s work bringing NLCS Game 7 to the show floor.

Go Brewers!

2F406CAE-E767-4FAB-974E-52CD23A96D09.jpeg

Lord no. Just a novelty. Maybe to mess around with stage concept ideas during design?
There's a game in development close to release on Steam with a similar concept (maybe the same game?), and my first thought was that it would be like working at home as soon as I got off work.

https://youtu.be/VePUpauamms

Little followup on Releve. Definitely some barrel/pincushion distortion in the optics. Zoom is 18-50ish, so some pincushion/barrel distortion is expected but this seems more pronounced than I would expect. Not a big deal for effects but I’d be careful doing patterns with lots of straight lines.

Not sure how this compares to if you had the same pattern in a 50deg S4

Talk of a version with framing shutters and more emitters colors mid next year.

The new flypipe product looks promising. Cost-effective, easy to install, easy to ship. DMX ports are active splits so you can plug fixtures in wherever on the strip and daisy chain along without disrupting other DMX taps on that pipe. Fixed speed, 20FPM. Talk of a 90FPM late next year. Comes with unistrut type channel that fixtures bolt into. For venues moving fixtures around more frequently, City Theatrical has strut quick release fittings I’m told, or ETC can equip a traditional pipe for mounting clamps to. Up to 6 circuits of power per pipe.

C1B769B9-2AD4-4EB0-9850-AEE8DDBDB726.jpeg

Martin has a new LED ellopsoidal upstairs in 253. Lots of pretty features, clocking in at $1800 for the color option. Definatly worth a look.

They were to busy in their goofy costumes making chocolate and giving sway candy. I spent 20min on my own playing with their lights(good thing I know how the lightshark works) not 1 response from any Blizzard Rep.

They were to busy in their goofy costumes making chocolate and giving sway candy. I spent 20min on my own playing with their lights(good thing I know how the lightshark works) not 1 response from any Blizzard Rep.

I have never been able to get a blizzard rep to talk to me.

Common theme over there, both for Blizzard and for Mod Truss. I was in there 2-3 times and couldn't name 1 product of theirs, aside from the Lightshark app that they distribute. Strange, because it seems like a lot of money to spend to show "proof of life" as a company but to not really use as an opportunity to push products and engage prospective customers. Not sure they've matured as a company to the point that they developed those client engagement techniques or given proper sales training to their staff.

I work with Blizzard fairly often. You'll have the most success by just grabbing someone and asking questions. From the top to bottom I've found them incredibly responsive if you reach out. I think they just work hard *not* to be a pushy sales company.

@MaxMtl514 It was about 10' to the screen, and they also had one turned around and pointed at the wall, probably 40-50, still totally legible, as long as your eyes are ok.

I did get a Q&A in the last day with Blizzard, and too be fair they were very helpful. For the price point they have some impressive fixtures.

It's interesting to see the different philosophies between booths. Several really just wanted to hand me a beer and barely talked product. ETC and Martin gave me personal tours and spoke in depth about their products. A few booths almost seemed offended when I wanted to ask about their product-one unnamed light board manufacturer was darn near insulted when I started asking questions.

I did get a Q&A in the last day with Blizzard, and too be fair they were very helpful. For the price point they have some impressive fixtures.

It's interesting to see the different philosophies between booths. Several really just wanted to hand me a beer and barely talked product. ETC and Martin gave me personal tours and spoke in depth about their products. A few booths almost seemed offended when I wanted to ask about their product-one unnamed light board manufacturer was darn near insulted when I started asking questions.
It also depends a lot on when you talk to them. Friday is crazy busy. Saturday is pretty good. Sunday (once everyone is awake) is quiet and easy to talk to people, but the bigger companies often send home part of the staff at the end of the day Saturday. Also in general nobody is working the last hour of any day.

So, is there going to be a Day 2 or Day 3 report?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back