LDI 2018

BillConnerFASTC

So Penton sent an early registration email clearly for 2018 but the links are to 2017, all say 2017, and don't let you register for 2018. This whole computer thing is simply an excuse for incompetency.

Isn't there a dance that involves one step forward and two steps back? Also, perhaps it isn't really incompetency, perhaps it's just an alternate competency.

So many backgrounds from architects lately where plan and section don't agree, where basic things we've talked about for months are not incorporated. And then a seating manufacturer that can't count seats, let alone look at the design documents. Among others...

Computers have a magical ability to reveal who is REALLY a detail oriented person and who is only pretending.

Computers have a magical ability to reveal who is REALLY a detail oriented person and who is only pretending.
@gafftaper And there are also posters who purport to be a detail person yet respond with annoyance steadfastly defending, excusing and refusing to edit and correct blatant (and / or non-obvious) typo's in their posts even when contacted regarding their oft' times confusing posts usually blaming 'fat fingers on a tiny touch screen and / or keypad'. To quote @TimMc [Who has my utmost respect] : "I'm only saying . . ."
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard.

Last edited by a moderator:
So this will be my first time at LDI. To say I'm excited, is an understatement. I have enrolled in courses, which are being taught by the authors of the books I read when I first got bit by the lighting bug. I have also enrolled in the backstage club tours. Really looking forward to seeing Omnia in full swing.

So my questions to the LDI veterans.

1. Where in the conference center are these classes held? I tried looking at a convention map, but can't seem to find the rooms listed.

2. Any tips to make the visit more enjoyable?

3. Any must see or do things?

4. Are there places to eat within walking distance of the conference center?

5. Do the vendors sell or better yet, give away swag?

6. I was thinking of purchasing an Avolites Mobile, should I wait until the show for special show pricing?

Thanks guys.

So this will be my first time at LDI. To say I'm excited, is an understatement. I have enrolled in courses, which are being taught by the authors of the books I read when I first got bit by the lighting bug. I have also enrolled in the backstage club tours. Really looking forward to seeing Omnia in full swing.

So my questions to the LDI veterans.

1. Where in the conference center are these classes held? I tried looking at a convention map, but can't seem to find the rooms listed.

2. Any tips to make the visit more enjoyable?

3. Any must see or do things?

4. Are there places to eat within walking distance of the conference center?

5. Do the vendors sell or better yet, give away swag?

6. I was thinking of purchasing an Avolites Mobile, should I wait until the show for special show pricing?

Thanks guys.

From my experience going the last few years:

1. It depends on what class you take. Many are in breakout rooms across the walkway from the main hall entrance. A few are off site when that makes more sense. If you have any sense of direction at all you should be fine. There are lots of signs all over the place.

2. Wear comfortable things. Double important for shoes. If you're coming to hand out resumes and look for a job perhaps a jacket and slacks might make sense, but mostly it's a polo (or t-shirt) and blue jeans kind of conference.

3. The events in the parking lot don't always run the whole length of the conference so look at the schedule and if it seems up your alley go early. I'll leave show and entertainment advice to those that aren't jaded locals.

4. There are a few places to eat outside the conference center. They're mostly to the south and stretch what one might call walking distance. Lots of presenting vendors stay offsite and use Lyft or conference buses to get to and from the conference center. This allows them to be in parts of town that is a bit more fun after hours.

5. Swag is coming back, but anything more than a t-shirt is usually kept under the counter and reserved for people who actually seem like they might buy something in the future. Free beer and cocktails are becoming plentiful which is nice. Most vendors aren't selling much, but if you take a walk down Shenzhen alley on Sunday you can get a smoking deal on all kinds of no name Chinese knock off equipment.

6. I wouldn't expect much by way of special show pricing, but if you have any doubts on exactly what you want there will certainly be a booth full of people who can help you choose the right product.

7. Keep an eye out for the official CB meetup on the show floor (Saturday at noonish is that right @gafftaper ?). It's a good way to put faces to the sometimes random usernames on the site. It's also a good time to ask if anyone has seen anything really cool that you shouldn't miss.

"Swag is coming back, but anything more than a t-shirt is usually kept under the counter and reserved for people who actually seem like they might buy something in the future. Free beer and cocktails are becoming plentiful which is nice. Most vendors aren't selling much, but if you take a walk down Shenzhen alley on Sunday you can get a smoking deal on all kinds of no name Chinese knock off equipment."

Damn, I have to fly back on Sat.

@porkchop covered it pretty well. I'm not sure if we're in the North or Central hall this time, but most of the regular day sessions are up on the second floor in the same hall.

There are plenty of mediocre food options in the convention center. The closest source of decent food is the Westgate Hotel next door... But that's a LONG walk. I went over for lunch my first time at LDI and never again. I tend to have a big breakfast, skip lunch or just get a small snack, and then go out for an amazing dinner.

There isn't a lot of sales that goes on at the show. If you can wait on making your purchase you might be able to make a deal, but there's also a good chance Avo will direct you to your local dealer to purchase. So I wouldn't inconvenience myself waiting for a deal at LDI. But if it's not a big inconvenience, it's worth a shot.

There's lots of swag, but it's mostly small stuff pens and lanyards. Etc always has a really nice item, usually not on display find the counter at their booth and get your badge scanned. @jfleenor is our new to LDI friend going to find some cool DMX swag in the Doug Fleenor Designs booth? - - - I'm guessing yes and perhaps a fun mystery product or activity awaits. So don't miss the Fleenor booth!

The best swag will be gone by the end of the day Friday. The really good stuff is always in the back and saved for friends, known customers, or people who are seriously interested. Have a good conversation with a sales rep and you never know what sort of bonuses may appear.

Comfortable shoes, a light backpack, drink water! Plan what app you want to use to take notes so you are ready to quickly get stuff down.

Towards the end of the day Saturday there's the booth crawl with free drinks and usually some amazing appetizers in the Rosebrand booth. Watch for people setting up bars in booths.

Find the ETC demo room for cookies, a soda, a place to sit in peace, and a chance to get more in depth information about their latest products

If you are from a more humid/coastal part of the country bring chapstick. The dry air and air conditioning kills my lips. If you forget they often have it in the Robe booth as swag. Another pro tip is to run the shower on hot for a while to humidify your room a bit.

Keep your eye on the convention forum here on CB. We will have a meet up.. Typically Saturday at noon. There will also be other discussions about things to see and do.

The only real question is whose wearing the Go Pro this year.

@jfleenor is our new to LDI friend going to find some cool DMX swag in the Doug Fleenor Designs booth? - - - I'm guessing yes and perhaps a fun mystery product or activity awaits. So don't miss the Fleenor booth!

Yup! And we're actually planning to do something we've never done before at LDI as far as giveaways... so DEFINITELY don't miss our booth if you're a lighting person. :D

There are plenty of mediocre food options in the convention center. The closest source of decent food is the Westgate Hotel next door... But that's a LONG walk. I went over for lunch my first time at LDI and never again. I tend to have a big breakfast, skip lunch or just get a small snack, and then go out for an amazing dinner.

The Westgate's offerings were certainly better than what LVCC had at Infocomm, but its a bit of a stretch to call it decent food...

Okay another question for the LDI vets. I registered for the 6 pack of classes for the LDInnovation conference. I can't seem to find a way to schedule these using the Dashboard site they send you to. Do you not have to register for these and just walk in when it's scheduled to be in session?

I can't seem to find a way to schedule these using the Dashboard site they send you to. Do you not have to register for these and just walk in when it's scheduled to be in session?

I've never used the 6 pack but for the normal badge you show up and get scanned at the door. I'm guessing it's the same.

Okay another question for the LDI vets. I registered for the 6 pack of classes for the LDInnovation conference. I can't seem to find a way to schedule these using the Dashboard site they send you to. Do you not have to register for these and just walk in when it's scheduled to be in session?

You don't have to schedule classes for the LDInnovation. The only classes that you schedule are the LDInstitute and LDIntensives. Those are also paid individually. Keep an eye out for free classes as well. They will often be on the show floor or at exhibitor booths.

There's one one the strip at the Linq now, but thats still almost 2 miles from the conference center.

I also recommend the monorail. The weekend pass is reasonable and gets you between the MGM and the SLS with plenty of stops in between (including the Linq and the Convention Center).

It's a short walk to the strip, with lots of offerings.

The closest places on the strip are Tacos Gordo and the Peppermill. They are a 20-25 minute walk from the central hall.

Gordo is amazing! It's a chain restaurant based in Tijuana. The hard core real deal. The line is often several hundred people deep even at midnight. The lines get so long they offer a free shuttle to their second location off the strip.

The Peppermill is a 24 hour American diner sort of menu. Breakfast is excellent and served 24 hours. Other items are good, but not outstanding. The best thing about the Peppermill is the hot blueberry muffins with breakfast. And the ridiculous over top Vegas interior design is not to be missed. This is the bar..
Vegas-Icon-Photo-Tour-5.jpg
The restaurant
dc84e67d5dd5fd96fb65f3dfd75f5de1.jpg
The fruit plate. .
download.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back