LDI 2018

You don't have to schedule classes for the LDInnovation. The only classes that you schedule are the LDInstitute and LDIntensives. Those are also paid individually. Keep an eye out for free classes as well. They will often be on the show floor or at exhibitor booths.

Are the LDIinnovation classes very crowded?

Last edited:
So Penton sent an early registration email clearly for 2018 but the links are to 2017, all say 2017, and don't let you register for 2018. This whole computer thing is simply an excuse for incompetency.
It looks like Penton was taken over by Informa. That might explain it.

Are the LDIinnovation classes very crowded?

Most of the classes get no more than half full from what I've seen. On occasion, some get to standing room status, but just make sure that if the class is important to you, that you arrive a little early. Often, I just go to the show floor and skip the classes, so some things may have changed. Last year I was a panelist, so I had free access to the other classes. None of those were to capacity.

You guys are awesome. The information is amazing. So I was reading on the LDI site that no video or photography is allowed. However, I have talked with some contacts who attended LDI and they were saying if that's their policy, no one really enforces it. What is your experience on photography and videography.

The thing is, it's a trade show. That’s kind of a standard policy. If you are in a session, you can probably snap pictures of slides for your own reference. Some of the sessions are recorded for distribution on the Live Design site after the conference (most require a subscription). On the show floor, vendors don't usually mind you taking photos or video, as it usually helps to keep their products in mind when you get home. When in doubt, ask those whom you wish to film.

So yeah, most sessions aren't full but occasionally they do. I suggest getting there early if a session is really important. If you try to video a session they will likely shut you down as they record and sell them But you can take pictures on the show floor.

I've seen the rules enforced at Infocomm, someone trying to do a down the aisle video was politely asked to stop by security...

I guess I always have a press pass and I'm doing video for CB, but I've taken a lot of pictures and video and no one has ever questioned me.

I'm planning on going for the 1st time. This might seem like a stupid question, but since I have to be back at work on Sunday I'm trying to see when to book my flight on Sat. Can the exhibit floor be comfortably covered in 1 day. It's hard to tell from the floor plot.

I'm planning on going for the 1st time. This might seem like a stupid question, but since I have to be back at work on Sunday I'm trying to see when to book my flight on Sat. Can the exhibit floor be comfortably covered in 1 day. It's hard to tell from the floor plot.
It depends on what you are there for. Is your goal to spend some time playing around on three or four consoles and that's it? You can do it in a day easy. Is your goal to get detailed information afrom all the LED and moving light manufacturers? You are going to need a full day and never look at anything else. If you want to see everything... I plan a full day to walk the floor and just sort of look at stuff, get my self oriented, and figure out what I want to go back and see in detail. Then I plan Saturday and Sunday to meet with people, play with the gear, and really get my hands on stuff.

One other thought, which unfortunately doesn't really help you but may help someone else reading this. A lot of people go home on Saturday night. So, if you can only do two days I would think about doing Saturday and Sunday. On Friday there will be groups of 20 people following one sales person around to hear about the latest gear. If there's a new console on Friday you'll see people standing 5 deep around it trying to hear the presentation. On Sunday, you can talk one on one with a manufacturer's rep about that same new console.

I personally will often just spend a single day (this year it will be Friday). Then again, this isn't the main show that has the gear that I need (I frequent NAB and InfoComm). If you only have a single day, then planning will be your friend. Make sure that you make a list of the vendors that you need to speak with. If it is absolutely critical (like you might be making a purchase and need good evaluation time), then make an appointment with that particular vendor. Eat a good breakfast so that you don't necessarily need to break for lunch in order to maximize your time on the floor. Get the layout in your head so that you can hit things in order and don't waste time walking back and forth. Make use of the app to give you reminders and help you navigate the space.

Essentially, treat this as you would a one-off production. Piss Poor Planning leaves you with Poor Performance.

Great tips there from @ruinexplorer. The app is really helpful for those coordinating time between conference sessions and the show hall too.

Probably be out around the first week of October.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back