LDI Day 1

dvsDave

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Senior Team
CB Mods
Fight Leukemia
Arrived early, saw a demo of the ETC LED Source4. Not sure how much I can reveal yet, but let's just say its amazing.

Finally on the show floor. Stay tuned! I'll be posting updates throughout the day!

You could do a google hangout from LDI!

Dave, get over to the GAM booth and give us a report on the Plexus lighting software. Ask them what the h were they thinking, naming something Plexus?

Will get over to the GAM booth soon. Just did a video with Enttec, their new DMX Pro software is pretty awesome.

BTW, Doug Fleenor's new DMX toy is a DMX chainsaw. That's right, I said chainsaw.

So, here's the skinny on the new LED Source4s.

There are three. A tungsten output, a a daylight, and a Lustr. That's right, a full color LED Source4.

The optics are really incredible and the lumens per watt blows every other LED leko fixture out of the water.

They wouldn't let me take pictures as the fixtures are still prototypes.

Rumor is (and this is not directly from etc) that we could see these potentially as early as march, but none of that is confirmed.

Oh, and they are incredibly quiet, unbelievably quiet. I had to put my hand up to the fixture to even tell if the fan was running.

-Sent from my HP Touchpad

And did they turn it on side by side w/ a standard S4 lamped at 750w?

Yes they turned on the tungsten and put it next to a standard S4. Results were amazingly close. The engine looks a bit bigger than a standard S4 and it does have a housing underneath. Yes, you can daisychain the power, up to @10 units.

-Sent from my HP Touchpad

Okay, now we're getting somewhere.....

Thanks Dave!

Gear source booth was also showing an LED back for the source 4. It is still in development, but looked to have some serious promise. The ones demo'd, were only 100 watt and were in 6000K and 2900K. They have a 250 watt source of LEDs that they are going to try next. Right now the prototype uses the Pulse width Modulation scheme for dimming and at the very low levels you can see a little flickering that goes away when it hits the chosen level. They are working on a D/A to convertor, that would control the dimming through current changing. The cool thing is that when not using the source 4 shutter assembly and lens tube there is a Fresnel lens and collapsing type girls scout cup assembly.
This thing is a bit from the final platform, but shows some real promise. Especially considering that it is being developed by one man, the owner of gears source, and doesn't have the large engineering resources of ETC.
Lightronics was also showing a version of their ETC knock-off with LED illumination. They achieved the color with three glass filters that moved into position. It would be ok for a small "Rock band", but isn't going to provide and real competition with either the ETC or Gear Source LED units.

The whole show was a bit smaller than I remember ones in the past, but I saw pretty much everything that I wanted. Of course lots of improvements of products released a few years ago, but other than the prototype LED ellipsoidals, there wasn't anything that spectacular. Don't let me make it sound negative, because it is always very informative to see what is happening in the industry.
One of my observations, is that Elation, is becoming more and more in the professional end of the spectrum, and less and less in the DJ market, that they started out in.
Most all of the lighting boards shown were of an earlier release. The GIO being the exception, but that is really just a scaled down EOS. I really liked the Enntec laptop software with it's dongle. It isn't Magic-Q, but is a very nice simple program similar to smaller boards such as NSI, Lightronics and some of the chinese units. It would be great for the small facility that doesn't have many moving lights and just wants to do small shows. The price is $ 279 for the software and the dongle, give or take a few bucks. (We old people have memory problems).
Lot's of choices for followspots were shown at several booths. Most have been seen before, but it is fun to compare when they are close together. My choice would probably be something from Robert Juliat. Strong had their most recent version of the Gadiator. The thing is about the size of a tractor-trailer.
I am sure their will be many more behind me with more info and different opinions, so stay tuned.

Tom Johnson

Gear source booth was also showing an LED back for the source 4. It is still in development, but looked to have some serious promise. The ones demo'd, were only 100 watt and were in 6000K and 2900K. They have a 250 watt source of LEDs that they are going to try next. Right now the prototype uses the Pulse width Modulation scheme for dimming and at the very low levels you can see a little flickering that goes away when it hits the chosen level. They are working on a D/A to convertor, that would control the dimming through current changing. The cool thing is that when not using the source 4 shutter assembly and lens tube there is a Fresnel lens and collapsing type girls scout cup assembly.
This thing is a bit from the final platform, but shows some real promise. Especially considering that it is being developed by one man, the owner of gears source, and doesn't have the large engineering resources of ETC. ...
Tom, I believe that is actually the Coemar Reflection LEDko which we discussed here: http://www.controlbooth.com/forums/...039-coemars-new-release-reflection-ledko.html .
Press release: LEDSource: LED SOURCE® CONTINUES TO GROW PARTNERSHIP WITH COEMAR

Anyone know what the Altman Phoenix is about?

proxy.php

Hey Tom, I think you were looking at the DMXIS software, I got a long video demo of their new software, the DMX PRO software, which has an introductory price of $299. Very nice.

I've got a bunch of video to upload, but I don't have the tools to edit it here. I'll get it edited and cleaned up and posted when I get back.

Got to see the new Apollo Wrenchmate in it's final form, a single integrated C wrench with essentially a megawrench on the other end.

wrenchmate.jpg

The DMX Chainsaw with it's brilliantly demented creator!

attachment.php

Attachments

• dmx-chainsaw.jpg
    dmx-chainsaw.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 259
Hey Tom, I think you were looking at the DMXIS software, I got a long video demo of their new software, the DMX PRO software, which has an introductory price of $299. Very nice.

Got to see the new Apollo Wrenchmate in it's final form, a single integrated C wrench with essentially a megawrench on the other end.

View attachment 5714

Yeah we shot video of the DMXIS last year and it really is a great alternative to MagicQ. MagicQ is much more powerful than DMXIS but the learning curve is REALLY steep and 99% of the features are not going to be used by someone trying to build a lighting system on the cheap. People who really need those features are going to be buying the rest of the system (which also makes them a lot more manageable). DMXIS on the other hand is more of a simple DJ software. It doesn't have the power of MagicQ but it's also way easier to work with. If all you want is to program a simple conventional cue stack or some submasters, and your budget is tiny. DMXIS is probably a better choice than MagicQ (the $250-ish price includes the usb/dmx dongle). It would be great for small churches, small community theaters, and anyone trying to throw together a programmable dmx console for $250 and a used PC.

I'm looking forward to learning more about DMXpro.

Congratulations to Apollo and Kelite. That's an excellent looking design idea.

...as for the DMX chainsaw. I'm a little worried about Dr. DMX. Perhaps he Has been sniffing a little too much of the old soldering smoke.

I thought for sure you were going to say you wanted to see a chainsaw on a right arm.
Now THAT is an awesome idea. Kelite and Jfleenor... two of my favorite people working for two of our favorite companies... please make it happen! I bet SteveTerry could arrange for a Gio to control it. The perfect demo! :pray:

Last edited:
Yes they turned on the tungsten and put it next to a standard S4. Results were amazingly close. The engine looks a bit bigger than a standard S4 and it does have a housing underneath. Yes, you can daisychain the power, up to @10 units.

OK, but what did they shine the two sources on? Was it just a white fabric, the airwall, or a collection of various covered fabrics? The biggest drawback to LED point sources has been the limited wavelengths of the color spectrum, making it difficult to light people. It would also be nice to see how a camera sees the light (which is why I like going to NAB or InfoComm). For more information on what I mean about that, check out this month's issue of Protocol starting on page 16.

...The biggest drawback to LED point sources has been the limited wavelengths of the color spectrum, making it difficult to light people. It would also be nice to see how a camera sees the light (which is why I like going to NAB or InfoComm). ...
I thought most of this was addressed/discussed here:
...It was as if the entire room had been shangaied -- one moment everyone was waiting to get up and leave less anyone have additional questions for Fred about ETC; the next moment we're staring at LED Source Fours that have probably been pointing at Fred and turned on for the entire presentation without any of the CUE attendees knowing it.
As Fred described in his own words, this is the the Holy Grail of lighting products. I think everyone in the room today would agree with that statement -- if he hadn't revealed that the fixtures pointed at him weren't incandescents, nobody would've been the wiser: intensity, color quality, beam quality -- nothing was a giveaway that the Source Fours had LED sources instead of tungsten sources.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back