LDI Day 1

Nope!! Derek, I saw that one too. Very impressive and a lot further along the deliverable product.
The one at Gear Source, (the folks that make the megaclamp and all of those geat rigging fixtures) has a heat sink that looks like it came from "Starwars" or some sort of nuclear reactor. A lighting instrument is certainly something you would not expect from a machine shop that builds some of the best rigging materials. I had a long talk with the owner about the design and the technical aspects of the project. When I questioned why a lighting instrument from his company, he pointed out to me that he has an electrical engineering degree, that he has never really used to his satisfaction. He also mentioned that he was delayed a good deal in the development, because he had employed some consultants. He basically dismissed their advice after the instrument didn't work. So he decided to do it on his own.
I don't know that it will be the answer or do a better job than the other efforts for LED ellipsoidals, but I sure like his attitude and drive, and for what I saw so far, I like his product.

Tom Johnson

Got to see the new Apollo Wrenchmate in it's final form, a single integrated C wrench with essentially a megawrench on the other end.

View attachment 5714

I spent quite a while at the Apollo booth and saw the new megawrench. It is really nice and looks to be exceptional quality. Since I have every focus tool that I am aware of, I suppose I will have to get one of those as well, although it is going to have to really impress me to replace my "Flat focus tool".
I also had a nice conversation about the Right arms. I have two of the older models and was giving feedback and receiving new info about the newer models. One of the two they were showing had a half cheesboro type clamp, that I really liked a lot better than the regular clamp with a leadscrew. I am gong to have to give a serious look at replacing my two.

One other thing that I noticed at LDI, but not the Apollo booth, was a super small Chroma Q scroller on the front of a Source 4, as part of an autoyoke. It was of course at the City theatrical booth. The interesting thing is that I didn't see that same scroller at the Chroma Q display. I have one autoyoke that I have a Coloram 4" scroller mounted on, and the Chroma Q that I saw was considerably smaller.

From several in depth conversations that I had, a number of American owned companies that were having products made in China to their specs, have now started building them in house in the US. Info on why was held a little close to the chest, but it seemed to be a combination of quality, price of shipping and labor cost increases, and convenience of control. I won't mention the companies, as the conversations were held in confidentiality and not public announcements. Never the less, it shows some shifting trends.

Tom Johnson

...The one at Gear Source, (the folks that make the megaclamp and all of those geat rigging fixtures)...
The manufacturer of the Mega-Clamp and Mega-Claw is The Light Source. (Very nice company biography article at PLSN | The Light Source Moves Into LEDs , but doesn't mention a Source Four retrofit, although we've been suggesting that here for years.)

GearSource/LED Source is the North American distributor for Coemar products. The press release at LEDSource: LED SOURCE® CONTINUES TO GROW PARTNERSHIP WITH COEMAR is a little unclear, to me at least.
Moving forward, GearSource will focus on selling used products and entertainment equipment and will no longer supply Coemar’s automated lighting products while LED Source will continue offering Coemar’s extensive line of LED technology on a N American Exclusive basis.
So who is to handle Coemar's non-LED products?

-----
I spent quite a while at the Apollo booth and saw the new megawrench. ...
Again, Mega-Combo Wrench is a product from The Light Source. Apollo's is called the WrenchMate (link to old version).

Not picking on you Tom; just tryin' to keep the names accurate to lessen confusion, for myself and our readers.:(

-----
Nothing about the Altman Phoenix? Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

Last edited:
The manufacturer of the Mega-Clamp and Mega-Claw is The Light Source. (Very nice company biography article at PLSN | The Light Source Moves Into LEDs , but doesn't mention a Source Four retrofit, although we've been suggesting that here for years.)

GearSource/LED Source is the North American distributor for Coemar products. The press release at LEDSource: LED SOURCE® CONTINUES TO GROW PARTNERSHIP WITH COEMAR is a little unclear, to me at least.
So who is to handle Coemar's non-LED products?

Again, Mega-Combo Wrench is a product from The Light Source. Apollo's is called the WrenchMate (link to old version).

Not picking on you Tom; just tryin' to keep the names accurate to lessen confusion, for myself and our readers.:(

-----
Nothing about the Altman Phoenix? Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

You are correct and correct. The LED development for the source 4 that I saw, was in fact the Light source the manufacture of the megaclamp and not gear source, but I also saw one there it that is where I saw the Coemer if in fact that was the name of the booth or distributor. I was much more interested in the instrument than the sales of it. You will have to forgive me, I have never been real good at remembering specifics on names. (It comes from having my 70th birthday earlier this year).
Yes I thought that the name of the wrench seemed strange having mega in it. It was the wrench at Apollo that I saw. Again, I didn't pay real close attention to the name. I simply quoted Dave in post #14 of this thread where he misnamed it, but showed the correct picture. I therefore am sharing the blame with him.

Tom ( the not to good at names) Johnson

I didn''t pay real close attention to the name. I simply quoted Dave in post #14 of this thread where he misnamed it, but showed the correct picture. I therefore am sharing the blame with him.

I realize after further viewing of Dave's post, that he did have the name correct and that he was comparing one end of the wrench to the megawrench. Sorry about all of my mistakes. I am now going to go hide in shame and quit posting.

Tom Johnson

I realize after further viewing of Dave's post, that he did have the name correct and that he was comparing one end of the wrench to the megawrench. Sorry about all of my mistakes. I am now going to go hide in shame and quit posting.

If I did that every time I said something stupid, well I wouldn't be here. Keep on posting!

I thought most of this was addressed/discussed here:

Sorry, since you don't have which thread MNicolai was discussing that, could you source it so I could read his whole post?

Sorry, since you don't have which thread MNicolai was discussing that, could you source it so I could read his whole post?

Just click the little arrow after "originally posted by..." to go to the original post...

Good to know. Since I have my brightness level turned all the way down and neutral density over the screen, that was all but invisible. That's what I get for checking CB at work.

Dave, get over to the GAM booth and give us a report on the Plexus lighting software. Ask them what the h were they thinking, naming something Plexus?

It's Not My Fault !!!

I voted against it - if I had realized there was an old EC product by that name, I probably would have won the argument.

It's Not My Fault !!!
I voted against it - if I had realized there was an old EC product by that name, I probably would have won the argument.

So Plexus is the software you created for Oregon Shakespeare a while back, now being released by a major manufacturer? Congratulations! Hopefully they sell tons and you can buy us all dinner. :)

It's Not My Fault !!!

Should have asked Derek. However, I doubt you could have afforded the consulting fee.

So Plexus is the software you created for Oregon Shakespeare a while back, now being released by a major manufacturer? Congratulations! Hopefully they sell tons and you can buy us all dinner. :)

Pretty much ( with some significant enhancements to support conventional lights ). We're hopeful that I can buy you all dinner.

For those who want to check it out, the software should be available on the Gam site in two weeks. If anyone is interested in a beta ( ie use it in a show and give me feedback) let me know by PM

Last edited:
I'm working on the videos we shot of the Plexus with John demonstrating it's features. At this rate it may be late tonight or tomorrow before I get them uploaded and live, but I'm doing my best!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back