Learning Sound

Dustincoc

I'm a College tech theatre student. I need to teach myself how sound equipment work as the current tech teacher has no experience with sound technology. Teh system we have was designed by a sound geek and not a theatre guy about 15 years ago. I was wondering what would be the best place to start and/or any books that may help.

The best way how to learn is to read the manuals of the equipment. If no manuals, Then search for them online. If you cannot find any information anywhere then you are going to have to experiment.

Another shout out for the The Sound Reinforcement Handbook, every time I read the book I learn something new. The other option is to find out who installed the system and get them to come out and walk you through the system and teach you about it. What I did in college was just started playing and figure out how things worked and what happen when I twisted different knobs.

Good Luck.

Dustin Strobush
ETC Systems Group

I'll have check out that book. The one of the biggest problems with learning from the manuals is that the Audio Desk, a Soundcraft K1, user manual is written for someone who already knows sound. I was planning on experimenting sometime, The only problem being that the theatre is used for acting classes during the day and there are 2 shows in the space this semester and another in our other theatre. The guy who originally installed the equipment left the school more than 5 years ago. Since then, modifications have been made that havn't been documented and no one's sure what goed to what. What's the cost on the class, I can't make it but maybe the tech teacher could.

Have you read Soundcraft's own guide to mixing available on their website. One thing you could probably do even with a theatre class in there is start tracing the wiring. The amplifiers have to be connected to the mixer somehow. A lot of this can be done with the sound system off. So document as much as you can. If there's eq's etc take a note of their current settings so you can reset after playing. You need to talk to the tech teacher to be given access outside of class time. As you say hand's is the best way for you to learn.

no cost, a volunteer training session. I would welcome anyone who wants to come and answer questions before or after.

Access to the theatre's not a problem. It's just its a very small space and the booth is located right over the seats in the front of the stage. Is this mixing guide seperate from the user manual, I can't find it on the SoundCraft site. I have a copy of the miser's user manual, but the manual is written with the assumption that you already know all the principles of sound theory. A markup sheet is available in on the soundcraft website to record the settings. The main reason I don't want to mess with the system while there's a show in the space is fear of messing something us that we can't figure out what it is or fix in time for the show. It's not just the mixer I'm trying to figure out but the whole sound system(everything from the CD decks, wireless mics, right through to the speakers). The theatre's open for about 2 weeks after the show closes next sunday, I may be able to get in there and play some during time. I was kind of hoping to get most of the lighting units cleaned and bench focused in that time(they haven't been done in about 6 years). I can't make the training session, I just saw your reply today(Sunday), I can't get ahold of the teacher either. Let me know If your doing another one in the future.

Last edited:
I don't know when we're going to have another class yet, I will tell you when I know more.

One of the other thing's I've got to figure ont is how to reconnect 2 out of the 3 sets of speakers. Someone at some point in the past decided to disconnect the speakers they weren't using from the system instead of just keeping their volume at 0. One of the speakers is also missing from the SL Procenium.

I reckon the best way to learn is read manuels and mixing

actually sitting at the desk and working is the best way
BUT DON'T LEAVE IT TILL OPENING NIGHT learn everything before then

Users who are viewing this thread

Back