Leather Washers

ship

Senior Team Emeritus
Premium Member
Saw a note tonight while researching my bunch light project about Leather washers. Specifically 2-3" dia. and listed in 1964.

What was the purpose of such a washer, and what's the very useful book such a washer was recommended in as bonus points?

Leather washers??? - Ill'

Don't think I'm allowed to answer yet, but I suspect there are several useful books listing and reccommendating them. FWIW, still a very good solution for the intended use. :)

I would venture to say that a leather washer will still act as a spacer when needed but it can be molded and cut to fit around objects as well. But alas this is just a guess.

My guess would be something along the lines of keeping metal parts from rubbing against themselves. I'm pretty sure I heard somewhere that leather washers are used even today on bicycle wheels to keep parts from rubbing together at high speeds. However, I don't know what specific application they would have had in the theatre.

I manufacture leather washers and I see no misinformation regarding the application in all the post..including molding the leather to fit a shape... richm0nd
Vegetable Tanned Leather, Bird Toy Parts and Supplies, leather soles, meter washers, water meter gaskets: TWIN LEATHER COMPANY,INC.

Saw a note tonight while researching my bunch light project about Leather washers. Specifically 2-3" dia. and listed in 1964.

What was the purpose of such a washer, and what's the very useful book such a washer was recommended in as bonus points?

Leather washers??? - Ill'

Well i can tell you this much working in bike shops for the last five years leather isnt used on anything but saddles or grips. I would suspect that the leather is great for hanging things. Used in sails where the rigging runs through to keep the canvas from ripping

Yep correct that too experienced to anser yet, but as I note today, between 1929 and 1964 they were well thought of for use.

On the other responders.... nope, start over. Should be easy but not seemingly.

I'm pretty sure their use extended well into the 1980s and may even continue today. I can't think of what I would use instead, in certain applications.

Yep, I still use 'em... might be picking up a few more.:cool:

Possibly for something that needed to be extremely heat-resistant, such as in a very inefficient lighting fixture? Just a guess.

Leather washers???
Now that a week has passed, anyone may answer.

You don't specify where they are used in the fixture. Used as an insulator, leather is slow to transmit heat. Leather and now more recently: fibre; neoprene; other "hard" synthetics, are used to increase/modulate the friction between two rotating metal parts, such as a lamp yoke and body or between the plates in a gobo or grip head.

We still use them as spacers for moving parts on our armour. We get them through McMaster-Carr:
McMaster-Carr
They are great for a quiet, non-lubricated, smooth, flexible, reliable spacer for moving parts. I think they have been used on armour for a thousand years. Heat resistance I hadn't thought about and McMaster says they are safe to only 150 degrees.
I believe some of the lights we used in college had leather washers and they were on the ends of the shutters which made a nice handle that wouldn't heat up. I think they were also used up front to isolate the front lens housing that needed to be adjusted to for focus. I think the intent there was to keep the front end cool since you had to grab it.

I have seen them used in the yokes of followspots, they allow some friction when loosen off alittle for nice smooth tilting

Many got it at least per text books from 1929 to 64' that I saw. Funny I never used them or noted the reference before - probably in not using them. Don't believe I have ever seen one in use before in any number of gear serviced.

Per McCandless "A Sylabus for Stage Lighting" a washer between the fixture and yoke that allows for grip in its use. 150F would be a bit low for within a fixture. That's what I was thinking for correct answer but in expanding the topic, inside the fixture?

Many got it at least per text books from 1929 to 64' that I saw. Funny I never used them or noted the reference before - probably in not using them. Don't believe I have ever seen one in use before in any number of gear serviced.

Per McCandless' "A Syllabus for Stage Lighting" a washer between the fixture and yoke that allows for grip in its use. ...
Still a current Altman part:
For 1000Q, Part#14-0042
For Voyager, Part#14-0042-25

Users who are viewing this thread

Back