LED Cyclorama Question--What's your opinion?

At the high school I TD at we have a concrete curved cyc. It's not an extremely tight curve, but still too curved to put a cyc back drop up flat...I will lose too much stage space then. I'm looking at putting in a capital improvement request for some LED cyc units, looking at the Chroma Q Color Force II. My question is do you think shorter LED strips, like four footers would be better for a curve than longer units like six feet?

How tall? Curved or angled in section or vertical? Top only, bottom only, or both? And how far away from surface?

Instinctively no to strips - which seem to me to be better at scraping a flat surface, and work better end to end.

How tall? Curved or angled in section or vertical? Top only, bottom only, or both? And how far away from surface?

Instinctively no to strips - which seem to me to be better at scraping a flat surface, and work better end to end.

Our cyc is about 30 feet wide and only 12' tall. Looking at having both top and bottom so I can do effects with both sets of strips.

At 12', you'd have to at least look at the new ColorSource cyc from ETC . Probably their app doesn't cover cycloramas (curved skydrops) but I think their spread woulddo a great job with not too many. And they are compact.

I just don't think you will get blending at "joints" between strips, especially around a curve.

The scale of this suggests the cyc electric may not be curved, as some are when the cyc is large. Maybe your electric is straight across the down stage "tips" of it?

At 12', you'd have to at least look at the new ColorSource cyc from ETC . Probably their app doesn't cover cycloramas (curved skydrops) but I think their spread woulddo a great job with not too many. And they are compact.

I just don't think you will get blending at "joints" between strips, especially around a curve.

The scale of this suggests the cyc electric may not be curved, as some are when the cyc is large. Maybe your electric is straight across the down stage "tips" of it?

No the cyc pipe is actually curved, not really smooth but it is curved.

And how far is cyc pipe from cyc? My hands (and eyes) on experience recentoy has been with the ETC CS cyc and the adpater. The adapter IMHO should be no further spaced than the distance form cyc . I guess their app says you can go to 1.2 or maybe a little more but I can see it much past 1. The CS cyc is near 1.5 - I think they say 1.7 . Longer ago I used strips and put them close - 20" - (Selador) and it was beautiful - and very expensive - as they were end to end.

But you and those you have to satisfy need to see it. Set up a demo or several.

The video on the CS cyc says 2x spacing is OK, but I'm sure that's the extreme.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I've been a fan of the Altman SScyc unit do to it's very smooth side to side blending. They also have tiny 50W 6" (nominal) units as well as 12" & 24" ones. I can see the very shorter ones for the curves.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back