LED Dance Spotting Lights

Grog12

CBMod
CB Mods
Premium Member
Anyone know a good place to look for these?

I don't exactly understand the question. "LED Dance Spotting Lights?" What do you mean? Effects lights? LED pars?

Oh, I know what you mean, tools-for-stagecraft has them here.

gafftapegreenia 4tw. Thank you sir.

Let's see, my time on that was 34 minutes, not bad, but I think Derek's got me beat on instance responses.

CK Sauces, in a static color, could work. May have to be wrapped with neutral density. A "dance spotting light" is usually a 15W red light bulb hung in the center of the lowest balcony rail. When I saw The Producers, they had one red and one green light on the center of the balcony rail. I suspect this as to start/stop the show.

For ice shows, they get more extravagant: Four blue lights, on the ice next to the dashers, at each end of the short 1/4 line, two reds at the ends lof the short center line, and two whites at the ends of the long center line. HINT: Wire the sockets with both a male and female 2P&G (or Edison) in parallel with the sockets to allow to daisy chain them. In the olden days, two pendant sockets were used, with cages, one backing up the other, for flyrail and other Q-Lites, as well as with 100W bulbs as ghost loads.

In my opinion, everything at ToolsForStagecraft is grossly over-priced, including these, except for the SpotDot2000, the best money a Spot Op can spend!

The exact request was a Green LED at CL then 2 Red LED's at the QL's. I'm going ahead and splurging on extra red ones for each of the boom pipes as well.

I'm used to the 15 watt red bulb as well Derek...that being said that's not what they want.

Oh well.

Spend the $19 on the CK Sauces. They can be constant RGB or color rolling/mixing or strobing, etc., depending on what mode you set them. Then you can place any light anywhere and tell the dancers to follow the light that used to be blue, now red, then green, and watch their faces give that "confused puppy-dog look"!:twisted:

I remember making flashlights similar to that when I was a kid. Taking the screw base bulbs from various things, wrapping a piece of stiff wire around it, then shaping the rest of the wire to fit around a standard D cell so the base of the bulb would touch the positive on the battery, and the other end of the wire would touch the negative side.

Spend the $19 on the CK Sauces. They can be constant RGB or color rolling/mixing or strobing, etc., depending on what mode you set them. Then you can place any light anywhere and tell the dancers to follow the light that used to be blue, now red, then green, and watch their faces give that "confused puppy-dog look"!:twisted:
Look at you touting your newly discovered CK sauces!;)

They have lights very similar to those CK sauces at walmart for like $8

I don't exactly understand the question. "LED Dance Spotting Lights?" What do you mean? Effects lights? LED pars?

A "Spotting Light" is use by dancers to keep from getting disoriented. Especially when doing spins, etc, it's easy to lose one's bearings with all the stage lights, etc.

Watch a (good) dancer or skater doing spins. You'll see their head snapping back and forth. That's because they're keeping focus on some point in the distance. Once their body has turned too far for them to keep looking at that point, they then spin their head all the way around to pick up that same reference point again.

It's also a very personal thing--some dancers need it to be lower than others.

--Sean

When I saw The Producers, they had one red and one green light on the center of the balcony rail. I suspect this as to start/stop the show.
I'd venture to say probably for several purposes. Some SM's use a cue light on the balcony rail to cue bows. Also, they may have been there as "safety lights" for communicating "clear to move" to actors that might not have been able to see automation/flys/traps moving.

In the olden days, two pendant sockets were used, with cages, one backing up the other, for flyrail and other Q-Lites, as well as with 100W bulbs as ghost loads.
Still used all the time. Two 7.5w colored bulbs in cages are pretty standard. LED's are starting to be used, but their limited viewing angle and size are often not helpful. I still prefer to use the cages/bulbs. They're obvious when NOT lit, because of their size, so they are easy to focus on when you know you're going to have a standby comming up.

--Sean

Users who are viewing this thread

Back