LED Dummy

@JD Are you still in vogue or are you already "last year's model"??? Are your LED's blue??
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard
Ron, I'm retired, which makes me last cent... No, make that Last Millennium's model! ;)

It seems that the business model of a lot of the imported product is that unless something has fantastic sales, they drop it and move on! It probably sold well, but not in the volume that would make it "fantastic." This new business model drives me nuts! Use to be a model of anything stuck around for a few years. Now, all products appear to get "replace" every year. "Oh, that's discontinued, it was last year's model." :wall:

I think part of the problem is that a lot of companies no longer do their own manufacturing. It's outsourced to a factory in some 3rd world country. So they don't have the tooling to just do a run of whatever they need. They have to go back to factory "X" or find new factory "Y" to make them. And they're going to want an order big enough to justify retooling a line. And maybe that minimum order is to large for their forecasted sales. The same could happen with any of the parts inside the unit. The Osram rep here posted about the same problem a while back. They wanted to be able to make the socket. But would have had to order what would end up being more of the components then they would ever need. So then how much do you have to raise prices to cover those additional costs? Will people pay that price? Will they ever see a return on their investment in parts?

Elation/ADJ is almost exclusively an importer.

Some factory out there has all the tools and plans to make these things quickly and cheaply.

I think part of the problem is that a lot of companies no longer do their own manufacturing. It's outsourced to a factory in some 3rd world country. So they don't have the tooling to just do a run of whatever they need. They have to go back to factory "X" or find new factory "Y" to make them. And they're going to want an order big enough to justify retooling a line. And maybe that minimum order is to large for their forecasted sales. The same could happen with any of the parts inside the unit. The Osram rep here posted about the same problem a while back. They wanted to be able to make the socket. But would have had to order what would end up being more of the components then they would ever need. So then how much do you have to raise prices to cover those additional costs? Will people pay that price? Will they ever see a return on their investment in parts?

AMEN. Quoted for truth.

I think that's the issue is companies trying to make a product as cheap as possible so seeing the tooling cost as needing to be amortized across 10,000 units instead of realizing how useful the product will be and in reality, a few 100 would be willing to foot the bill on the more incredible device.

@jfleenor why don't you show this thread to pops. It's not a DMX product, but I'm sure a lot of people would love to have a couple of well made DFD ones that they know are safe, reliable, and won't catch fire for their bag.

Dummy loads are not hard to make or have made - made many of them over the years be it 48way dummy load racks to just 6" cubed in-line NEMA boxes wiith a large heat sink resistor. Just about any quality theater electricl supplier can custom make such a thing.

Never relized the relation, totally up where you work in similar to past inventions and smaller to market type important stuff and services.

Dummy loads are not hard to make or have made - made many of them over the years be it 48way dummy load racks to just 6" cubed in-line NEMA boxes wiith a large heat sink resistor. Just about any quality theater electricl supplier can custom make such a thing.

That's true, loads are easy enough to make. The beauty of the LED Dummy was that it was very small and didn't produce any heat. Quite the opposite of a load.

That possibly depends on what you were buying and what it really did. Not impressed with some items, I have a case of them and would be really open to selling off that which was useless for my needs. Believe from Elation they are if interested.

Seems like an interesting idea @gafftaper. I'll run it past him... maybe a fun little 'test' project for our most recent employee. Heck, the winter months are always a bit slow.
I never bought the ADJ/Elation ones because I was always suspicious of the safety. If you can make a product we can trust for not a ton more than the $20 ADJ/Elation was charging I would buy two tomorrow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back