LED Ellipsoidal Side-By-Side

rsmentele

Premium Member
Fight Leukemia
I just got my demo ColorSource Spot fixture in, so I put it right on my rig with the others I have already....

I will need to get out the nice camera to show results, but I encourage you to do this in person!

Rig includes: (Left to Right in the photo)
Elation Colour Profile 5
Altman Phoenix RGBA 250w
ETC S4 LED Series 2
ETC ColorSource Spot

I must say they CSSpot is built well, as expected, but the output is right on par with the S4LED. The only MAIN difference is the color range of the fixture vs the Series 2. The primary blue is nice, and will do well as a side and front light option, and the open white is right on with the Series 2 as far as quality and intensity.

Don't mind the light output in the photo, I had to dim the fixtures to get decent exposure on the body's...

I am a believer and I cannot wait to actually use them on a show, but that may have to wait a few months....

Attachments

• 2015-08-04 13.20.56.jpg
    2015-08-04 13.20.56.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 775
Not understanding why the Elation and Altman are soft diffused beams.

Do you have frost in them ?.

Hard to get a sense as to comparative brightness in this photo, when you dim the fixtures.

Curious.

The beams are not diffused, they are dimmed so that I can show the fixtures, not the output. As I stated in my post, I need to get a better camera to actually show some comparisons as my phone camera was all I had available at that moment.

Hard to tell with the room lighting on too, spilling onto the wall on the left side.
If you do end up finding a better camera, please follow up and post more pictures!

Talk with your sales rep, they should be able to get you demo's!

Mine also came in today. I"m planning to by the end of the week do a shoot out with one of my source 4's using the gobos they sent and compare. I'll post some pictures unless somebody beats me to it.

here we go!
completely assembled it ends up a bit longer than a S4. They recommend using a 26 degree barrel I used a 36 because thats what I had. The Renew is on the right.
IMG_1629.JPG

Hard focused
IMG_1631.JPG

Soft Focused
IMG_1632.JPG

And with each of the gobos
IMG_1630.JPG
IMG_1633.JPG
IMG_1634.JPG

Would you mind clarifying which fixtures (and manufacturers) we are seeing here ?.

Thanks

OK and thanks.

Now I'm curious as to the reason of the comparison between a fixture that has color changing capabilities (ETC) and one that uses gel (PRG) and have you tried side-by-side of the ETC in assorted colors vs. the PRG with assorted gels ?.

As it seems this is very much an apples and oranges kind of test. As example, I would not be considering an ETC if I knew I was doing white light only use. Nor would I be considering the PRG if I needed color changing.

Last edited:
Sorry. I knew this thread was about LED side by side, I used a conventional source 4 since the Renew had come up a few posts ago and its a retrofit to replace a regular 575w S4.

I suppose it could be moved to a separate thread since this particular example is tungsten vs led.

The beams are not diffused, they are dimmed so that I can show the fixtures, not the output. As I stated in my post, I need to get a better camera to actually show some comparisons as my phone camera was all I had available at that moment.

you don't need a better camera, if the one you have takes filters, then you just need a neutral density filter to darken the exposure (a variable neutral density would be an excellent idea for this particular scenario)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back